141 to 160 of 252 messages
16/05/2013 at 21:25
KathyH wrote (see)

... I say "come and have a go if you think your strong enough"

LOVE IT!!!!

Amanda xx

TZ
16/05/2013 at 23:33

MP3 players are permitted, although of course we do ask that you pay attention to those around you. That goes for everybody whether they've got headphones in or not!

We'll have some very speedy runners this year, so just be very aware before making any unexpected changes of direction!

17/05/2013 at 09:40

TZ - will there be music playing at the venue at all (in the cafe or start/finish area?) (sorry this is probably asking way too much, but I find music can give you a lift sometimes)

Kathy - that's a good point. We will prove them wrong I hope!

The many pro's for this race far outweigh  potential monotony of the laps, so I'm looking forward to it....hope this marathon will give me the fitness to get a half marathon pb in the autumn & like Cable on this thread I'm running a leg of an event called the 'Welsh Castle's Relay' the following weekend.

Hope training is going well for everyone. Have a good weekend all...another bank holiday round the corner after this 

17/05/2013 at 09:47

Thanks, TZ. If you see a guy running whilst giggling to himself, it will be me listening to Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington.

MUST be disciplined and not try to follow the speedy runners at the start. I need sub-3:05 for London GFA and that will require me to pace myself!

15 days to go!

17/05/2013 at 09:51

I prefer not to run with an MP3 when I'm with a lot of other runners in such a 'close' area.I dont want to run the risk of not hearing someone faster trying to come up behind me. I think it's just courtesy but know that a lot of people struggle to run without it.

I've booked my travel and will be getting up at 3.30am to get there on time. So if you see someone with an IV of coffee - that's me

TZ
17/05/2013 at 10:01

LTS - unfortunately the venue is not permitted to broadcast music due to its planning agreement and sensitivity with its neighbours (they were there before Cyclopark!).

Personally I would not run a race with headphones but, as long as people with them concentrate on those around them then there should not be an issue.

Edited: 17/05/2013 at 10:46
17/05/2013 at 12:00
one of the best things about the race last year was all the encouragement being offered by the other runners when overtaking / being overtaken. It really spurred me on during the tough times. I`m not sure that you would get the benifit of this if you were wearing headphones.
Unfortunatley I will not be running this year, due to promising myself a rest during May but this was one of the best runs I have done and the organisation is the best I have seen.
TZ
17/05/2013 at 23:28

That's really very kind of you Millsy1977, thank you.

I agree that lap format does encourage a lot of banter between runners. It's not often that those at both ends of the results (and in between) get to see one another often in a race. They do at Kent Roadrunner and that generates a nice positive atmosphere. I agree that wearing headphones does mean missing out a little on that.

17/05/2013 at 23:36

TZ - Had to laugh at your comment about planning permission and the neightbours. The path alongside the Cyclopark used to be the hard shoulder of the A2!

I'm in agreement with you about headphones, when I run on my own I always have my headphones in however when I race or run with the club my music is left at home. Having said that I may bring them with me on the day and start listening after all the speed merchants have finished and I'm still on my first lap! (I expect that I'll be about halfway by the time the speedsters finish!)

TZ
17/05/2013 at 23:45

GFB - That's an excellent point about the old A2 noise!!! Still, we must comply with the rules.

17/05/2013 at 23:52

TZ - Indeed, you can't upset planning permission! I'm very much looking forward to this. Had a bit of a scare on Sunday as I had to stop my 20 miler at 12 1/2 due to knee pain. I thought I'd have to withdraw but Mrs GFB persuaded me to get to the physio to see what the problem was.

I saw the physio on Tuesday evening and she confirmed that I have a very tight ITB in my right leg. Some very deep tissue massage and stretching exercises have sorted me out, I've managed 2 runs of 7 miles since without any further issues. I have a sports massage booked for next Friday and I have my trusty Grid roller to help me between now and 1st June!

I'm still hoping to plod round in 5 hours and am hoping that it's not too hot on the day.

TZ
18/05/2013 at 00:13

ITB soreness is a common problem in distance athletes as it gets over-used when the normal leg muscles get tired. The great thing, as you know, as it's not really an "injury" and it usually healed quickly.

I agree about the weather, and in a way I'm quite happy we're generally a lot cooler so far this May than normal.

18/05/2013 at 15:42

To everyone

i am really looking forward to this challenge 

but most of all im looking forward to running with you all ,i haven't posted on here but i have just checked in and had a little read of the forum now and then 

All the questions and little niggles have been answered here 

there just seems a one for all and all for one !!! attuide 

so thank you all for answering my questions and see you all on the first 

TZ
18/05/2013 at 19:46

I certainly hope that each and every runner at the Kent Roadrunner Marathon feels very special.  A marathon is a substantial undertaking, whether it's your first, 100th, 800th or anwhere in between.

As runners it's our mission to give runners the very best race we'd wish to enjoy ourselves. If we can do that then we'll go to bed on 1st June very very happy indeed

18/05/2013 at 21:43

In my last post, did I say "sounds like it's going to be a great day"? What I meant to say was... sounds like it's going to be an awesome day!!!

TZ
18/05/2013 at 22:32

19/05/2013 at 10:27

what a great positive forum!  My wheels came off mentally at the VLM 4 weeks ago and I signed up for this because I want to feel positive about racing again - looks like I picked the right bunch.  Really looking forward to this now and meeting you all. Looking forward to banter and encouragement - it distracts you and works to get you through.  As for running laps - I run laps in training - I LOVE knowing what's coming.  And wind-wise it means you'll always get some in your back at some point as well as in your face... 

19/05/2013 at 12:16

Diesel girl - what a great idea to get your confidence back after the VLM. I completely agree about the laps - it'll help you know what's coming. What sort of time would you be aiming for? Perhaps you can find someone to pair up with?

I also find helping to name bits of the route helps. on one of the looped marathons I run I have: goose poo path, diagon alley, the bridge of doom etc. it's quite fun.

19/05/2013 at 13:09

Emmy H - I'm aiming for 3:38!  Bit bizarre I know but I want to go sub 3:40 so I have a BQ +5 mins - I got a 3:41:47 in London and I just want to go below 3:40.  So Ian (Race Director) has promised to make me a pace band for that time - I figure if I pace for that then even an unexpected pitstop or a slow down might still allow me to get it. But actually - I just want to enjoy myself doing it - VLM was the first time I've ever had a race where I wanted to quite 1 mile in - and I just want to feel my usual race buzz again!  

So if anyone's up for it and hey - maybe - a good even pacer?  Otherwise I hope you'll just see me chugging along with a SMILE on my face.  Can't remember who said that but they're right - it works.  

19/05/2013 at 15:21

TZ, I'm on the wait list . What are my chances? Ta

141 to 160 of 252 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.