Kilomathon London 26.2

a new distance! Could be my first PB in a long time.....

21 to 40 of 40 messages
26/10/2012 at 21:41

@Jogging Hippo-- yes agreed about the shuttle.  I was planning to leave my car at the start, and hubby was going to come to support near the end and pick me up / drop me back at my car.  We live quite nearby.  I've just found out from their FB page that he won't be able to park at the finish, and they're advising that he too (plus kids) pays for a shuttle! grrrr... all of a sudden it's all looking like  a lot of hassle!

28/10/2012 at 16:31

First impressions of today's event:

- Bravo to the marshalls and drink station helpers for standing out in the cold for hours whilst we enjoyed our hobby.

- I enjoyed running through the country park, with the canal towpaths too, made me feel at home!

Unfortunately for me, that's the last happy thought about today's event. Why did they only provide a single bus, that held about 20 people!  Standing in the cold, after a long run, is not anyone's idea of fun. Apparently the driver was on a "break".  Couldn't have have taken the break when the runners were out on the course, rather than at the point when they need the bus?

I met a couple of others who didn't bother waiting, and we luckliy bagged a taxi within a few minutes of leaving the park.

Unless the organisation of the finish location improves, i won't return tio this event.

28/10/2012 at 17:10

I second your first impressions, if you know what I mean, a big thank you to the marshalls and helpers most of whom looked frozen but smiled nevertheless. Also a nice flat, mainly traffic free course, in a countryside setting so what could possibly go wrong.......

Why finish a race in an empty field miles from anywhere anyway, then mess up the transport.  There where two buses ( max capacity 30 persons each), however one of the buses could not depart for 30 mins because the driver was over his driving limit on the buses tachometer and he was obliged to have a 30 break, so for the first half hour only 30 people were taken back to the start. Even with both buses running the round trip was 30 mins so the most people that could havve been transported in an hour was 120. I wouldn't have liked to have been at the back of the queue and just think if it had been raining too. As I'm sure the organizers will be monitoring any feedback I think we can all look forward to getting our £3s back by way of apology.

28/10/2012 at 17:12

Oh, also anyone know if there were any prizes?. I came first in my age group but no one seemed to know.

28/10/2012 at 21:34

Thanks  John - yeah good question -why in that field?

28/10/2012 at 21:51
We spent 2 hours waiting to get a bus back. The poor girl who was left to face us al least eventually managed to get us out of the cold to wait, unfortunately I was so cold by then it was a bit late. I paid a total of ??12 for transport today as my 2 sons also came to watch. It took them over an hour to get there as apparently the driver didn't know where to go. They were left in a field in the cold with nothing to do not realising the sports centre was a short walk away as no one told them. As the eldest hadn't been feeling well and had only come to support me he wasn't happy either. I hope there is an apology and a refund for transport by wont hold my breath
29/10/2012 at 08:11

It's bad enough for us Kaza but we choose to run.  For supporters it could put them off coming to watch again.

I remember soon after the start seeing the Supporters Bus stuck in a queue of traffic.  Probably not an issue for those supporting the 26.2 runners, but a real risk of them missing the finish of any faster runners in the 13.1 event.

It's a shame that what could be a very unique (and popular) event, is ruined by shoddy organisation.

I did get a PB though!!  (First time at this distance.)

29/10/2012 at 08:45

It must the caffine kicking in on a Monday, but the more I think about this the nore I feel angry.

Has anyone e-mailed the organisers to complain?  I will, and I'm interested to see how they respond.

29/10/2012 at 09:18
I am glad I decided not to go (well, had a halloween party hangover anyway!) after all reading these comments!
Unfortunately I am not suprised - the "organisers" are the same group that rip off anyone doing the Edinburgh Marathon- some errors being sloppy and others actually dangerous.
Good luck getting a reply- my angry emails after Edinburgh were replied to with a fairly indifferent generic email that didn't respond to the points made.
Well done on your PB though AndyP!
29/10/2012 at 09:28

Thanks Anna

I was tempted to have lie-in too as I got back from a party at 1am.  Trying to get the black& white "skull" facepaint off at that time (and after some beers ) was hilarious.

I think I still had some around my eyes so I probably looked even wierder than normal yesterday.

29/10/2012 at 12:53

Feedback sent - let's see what comes back...........

29/10/2012 at 14:09

As I've already said on the other thread.

Stick to events organised by running clubs; your money isn't then paying someones salary. Money spent on the race is £ out of their pocket.

There are now too many races that are organised by "professionals" who would struggle to find their ar*ehole with two hands and a mirror. There are some good ones but they usually have the full support of local running clubs who provide the marshalls, officials, etc.

29/10/2012 at 15:25
Edited: 29/10/2012 at 15:52
29/10/2012 at 19:35

One piece of good news I complained and have just been offered a refund for transport.  

29/10/2012 at 22:47

Kaza, thats good but  we shouldn't have  to complain before we get a refund, the first thing they should have done was to refund all transport money without being asked,

As for value for money it's a joke, a couple of years ago I did an "ultra" 40 mile  with the Long Distance Walkers Association (runners welcome). There were 5 check points all with tea, coffee, cake and sandwiches plus a pasta meal at the finish, cost.. £9.00.

30/10/2012 at 08:13

Just complained via the feedback form.

The transport was appalling.  If the driver had to have a break due to "health and safety" not much "health and safety" was given to the runners standing out for over 90 mins in the cold.  Well done to the First aiders giving out the tin foil to keep us warm. Also well done to the girl organising the queue to the best she could whilst getting a stream of abuse from us all.  She should not have been put in that position.  The trip back to the water centre to wait in the "warm" and then being told to get out of reception as we were crowding the facility were pure comedy when i look back at it now.

Also what happened to the t-shirt?  I had to fill in the size I wanted on the entry form.  If I am being told that this was replaced by the very poor quality watch, that stopped working within a minute of being opened then I feel that I have been massively ripped off with the entry fee.

I entered the first Kilomathon 2 years ago - Notts to Derby.  It was excellent.  This race, whilst enjoyable from my own perspective (a great run by my own standards) does not compare.  Yes it was cold and miserable, but things like the pathetic watch, and the wait for the bus (which would have been better if I had my finishing t-shirt on as an extra layer) made it even more miserable.

30/10/2012 at 12:17

I've not even bothered with the crappy watch.  I'd forgotten that we were "promised" a t-shirt too....

30/10/2012 at 18:15

I would have liked a t-shirt...did anyone get haribo's? call it curiosity

30/10/2012 at 22:49

Yes I got Haribos

31/10/2012 at 15:04

I did too - and two " Eat Natural" bars.  Altrhough I've just looked at those and their "use-by" date is today!! Bloomin' cheapskates..........

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.