Kingston 10K

21 to 25 of 25 messages
03/12/2012 at 07:34
6.24 on my Garmin ..... A nice day, nice and sunny, was a bit frosty running down that towpath though. Surprised that only 466 took part. Was my first Kingston 10k, but not my last ! Oh, and a Blue Riband biscuit when we finished ?? avent seen them for years !!!! Grabbed a PB as well, so all in all a good morning Well done to all who took part !
03/12/2012 at 10:17

I clocked it as 10.19KM so an extra 150m than your garmin interesting.

I was also very surprised to see only 466 on the finish list given there were numbers over 700 issued. 

I had a great time, yes it was cold but it was lovely by the river and I'll definitely be back for it next year.

NB3
03/12/2012 at 10:24

I clocked it at 10.8? a woman I spoke to got 10.3 - I guess unless its on a track its difficult to gauge with stepping puddles and frost patches (that I didn't want to mistake for ice) etc who knows!

Was a lovely run. Is it only once a year? be nice if they did an early spring one as well.

03/12/2012 at 10:27

There's a free 5k out the back of the Hawker Centre every Saturday.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/kingston/

but a spring run around that route would be lovely.

05/12/2012 at 12:27
It looks like this race does not count for official PBs. On the UK athletics site 'Power of 10' it is listed as 10k NAD (Near as dammit), because the course measurement is not up to date. I contacted Power of 10 about it, and got the reply that they can't find a measurement certificate for this race. The course has last been measured in 1997, it seems, and the measurement has to be renewed every ten years in order to have this certificate, without which a PB won't be recognised.
I contacted the race organisers via their website two days ago, but so far have not received a reply.
Since I ran a sub 40 PB in this race, I find this a bit frustrating. One could say, it doesn't matter if a PB is 'officially recognised' or not, but quite a few runners check on their PB section on official websites, like Uk athletics or runbritainrankings.
It is not asking too much, I think, for a race with the logo 'England Athletics Affiliated Promoter' to have its course measurement in order. After all, we are paying for it with our racing fees!
My Garmin measured the course as 10.15 k, and it usually measures too long, so I think we ran the accurate distance. And maybe there is an up to date measurement with the race organisers somewhere. Would be nice to know either way.
Does someone have a contact for the race director of this race?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.