Knebworth 9.2k

4 messages
23/02/2014 at 13:54

Was it just me ? or did anyone else find the course incredibly short ?

I made it 9.2k !.....a staggering 800m light of the stated distance.....800m !!

To be honest I find it really disappointing when events come up short...I'd much rather they went to 10.1, 10.2......and it's not like there is a shortage of space in Knebworth.

Maybe it wasn't marshalled properly, but I made a conscious effort to stick to the outer perimeters of the yellow flagged markings.

Thoroughly disappointed.

When these courses are mapped I wonder if they test it first with GPS ?

24/02/2014 at 12:12

GPS being out by 8% is unlikely. This was local to me and glad I chose to run elsewhere as that short is just a waste of time

24/02/2014 at 13:01

I use a Garmin 610.

No loss of reception and good satellite fix.

I have been using the Garmin 2 years now  3-4 times a week and it's always accurate to within about 9-13 metres compared with the other runners in my group that use GPS.

That's why I thought I'd ask if anyone else came up short ?

Agree with you 2wheels...complete waste of time.....I wish now I'd just done usual training, as I lost some running days "tapering down" for what I thought would be a great event....but coming up that short in a massive estate like Knebworth...there is simply no excuse...most runners I know would rather the course was a tiny bit over than under.....but half a mile short.......ridiculous

24/02/2014 at 13:05

I just had a quick check on Garmin Connect and there look to be 5 results that came back.  In miles, they came back as 6.66, 5.62, 6.22, 7.01 and 5.61 so quite a bit of a spread.  Interestingly, the average of these is 6.224 which is close to 10K (6.21), presuming people didn't tag on a warmup or cool down.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.