Lack of coverage of GSR on Runner's World

7 messages
21/10/2008 at 22:56

Hi all

I am new to running and I am doing the GSR on Sunday which I am really looking forward to. But I can't help but notice the complete lack of coverage on the event on the Runner's World website.

There was an interactive course map which I was emailed for the GNR, useless for me who didn't do the race but really helpful and interesting for a friend who did, but in contrast of the coverage for that event there is virtually no mention of the GSR on the website - or on the emails that I get sent every few weeks.

As a newbie and someone who just goes out running on their own I wondered if there was a snobbery around the GSR which accounted for the fact that it has been ignored?????

Iron Pingu    pirate
21/10/2008 at 23:20
I guess there are lots of races every week, RW can't cover them all. 
21/10/2008 at 23:23

...Probably due to the way over the top emphasis on the GNR, which is more of an event than a race and basically too many are allowed to enter! (in my humble opinion )

The GSR is smaller, but a better 'race'. It is a shame if it's not given enough coverage. (My tip for a 10 miler is the Cabbage patch 10.cheaper and a great race....)

21/10/2008 at 23:31

hi Simon and PinguPongu

yeh, i guess you are both right - RW can't cover every race but just seemed to be ignored in comparison with GNR but as you say Simon, the coverage is probably slightly over the top.

Looking forward to it all the same and will keep my eye out on the Cabbage patch 10 too

cougie    pirate
22/10/2008 at 00:13
How many people run gsr as opposed to the gnr ? You get tv coverage anyway - so its not too bad ?
22/10/2008 at 14:07
CB10 was last Sunday I think - try it next year, great race.
22/10/2008 at 14:32
It's just a race - why should it get more coverage than all the others? Because it's got 'Great' in the title and Brendan's boys organise it? Please!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.