Ladybower 50 Ultra series

21 to 40 of 61 messages
11/05/2013 at 20:54

how and when do we receive confirmation of entry, when do our race numbers arrive. I haven't heard anything yet. My wife tried to phone Steven King tonight but it was a bit of a one way conversation.

22/05/2013 at 17:14

thinking of the doing the 20 as a step up towards a marathon. do you know if there is a time limit?

31/05/2013 at 16:13

You are unlikely to take the time it will take the slow 50 milers to finish So i'm sure you would be within the time limit.

It's a 5 mile small lap, then 1, 2, or 3 times around another 15 mile lap.  So i'm sure there will be no issues with you plodding around doing 20 at whatever speed you can manage as long as it's more then about 2 miles an hour

31/05/2013 at 18:49
Jennifer Balls wrote (see)

thinking of the doing the 20 as a step up towards a marathon. do you know if there is a time limit?

Good idea. Personally I find the underfoot to be a little hard-going on my feet and it can be windy. In a way, it`s a fair bit tougher than a normal 20 mile run even if you don`t `race` it imho.

31/05/2013 at 18:58

I'm in for the 35 mile option. Anyone know how much navigation is required - is the route fairly obvious? Map reading's not my strong point - I'm sort of hoping as long as I don't fall in the reservoir I'm going the right way?

31/05/2013 at 19:49

I'm seriously thinking of doing the 35 but just trying to plod around as Leicester marathon in 3 weeks later. 

From the map on their website it doesn't look to bad I think they have practise runs as well take a look at their Facebook page

Edited: 31/05/2013 at 19:50
31/05/2013 at 19:52

Hey booktrunk - I'm also doing Leicester tho have entered for the 50 so will be using it as a recovery run

31/05/2013 at 20:39

RR - There will be minimal navigation. All very straightforward.

31/05/2013 at 20:55

Good to hear - I can get lost just going round the corner from my house

31/05/2013 at 21:04

Wish I could pay for 50 (not much more) but if I wanted stop at 35 and have an official 35 time. Not a DNF for the 50.

Hehe enter both and wear two numbers then I could choose or do it all and get 2 medals. 

31/05/2013 at 22:34

I don't understand when you apply online i'm being dense you get the page at runners world that says are you applying for the ladybower 50 mile ultra series event or the 50 mile event.  It's the same event what's the difference?

31/05/2013 at 23:22

Well... that's it...... I've been incredibly stupid and i'm now entered for the 50.

Yes, i'm almost wetting myself with excitement, and nerves all at once.

No way on earth that i'm going to run it all non stop.  Will get the first 20 out of the way and that shouldn't be to bad after that... well ...  I guess i'll just have some sort of organised stagger / stumble strategy.  But hey i've got 13 hours..... 12h 59m to be able to say i've done a 50.9m ultra sounds OK to me

31/05/2013 at 23:24

One annoying question, come my next pay day should I be looking at getting a Camelbak? I got the feeling in the last few miles having water on tap and pockets with nibbles in them might be a rather good idea?

01/06/2013 at 00:51

I cycled round ladybower today and have run it a couple of times. You can't get lost in it as the path/road run alongside the reservoir. In my opinion it's difficult to chose the right footwear as running on the left side of the reservoir it's mainly a road and on the right side it is trail/gravel but for a couple of miles there are stones that stick up making it a bit uneven. If I've recovered in time and run it I will use some hybrid road/off road trainers but would suggest you take a couple of pairs with you so you can change them if you feel the need (as per Egyptian Toe's comment about underfoot conditions)

Booktrunk - the 50 mile ultra series is the same ad the 50 mile event. They had trouble with the website so I believe whichever link you chose you are only entering the one race. 

ET - are you entering this ?

01/06/2013 at 01:08

Thanks carterusm. It all seems to have worked fine. Got the email saying I'm signed up. Might be last, but hey, someone has to be last  

I have a feeling after a few miles I might only be seeing people when I get lapped

01/06/2013 at 09:54

This is all good to hear - it's hard enough to deal with the 'putting one foot in front of the other' thing without doing navigation too. 

Another question - how long are people planning to make their longest run if they're doing the 35 miler? I'm planning on using an adapted plan for a 40 mile race, but it goes up to 30 miles in training, which, talking to other people, sounds excessive. I was planning to do a marathon as my longest run, but at training pace, not racing. Any thoughts?

01/06/2013 at 10:06

I'm not going to run more then 25 maybe 26.2 but might do a half on a Saturday and a full on a Sunday or vica versa for the 50. But.... I'm going to be right near the back

01/06/2013 at 10:08

I have a plan to run the first half of the 50, maybe see if I can get to 35 still calling it a run, (but probably not) and then run/walk then jog/stagger to the end.

01/06/2013 at 13:40

carter - don`t know. want something for after my marathon in Sept / Oct. Maybe Chester or something closer like this or Leicester. Don`t know!

02/06/2013 at 10:07

Booktrunk - I'm no expert in running ultras but I believe the strategy is generally a run/walk one from the start rather than trying to run as far as you can before run/walking. 

21 to 40 of 61 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.