Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon

Race numbers

21 to 40 of 63 messages
04/09/2012 at 10:15

yaay I managed a LSR friday morning of just over 10 miles  went well and feeling good and ready for Sunday  tapering now, may have a short run later

Good luck to everyone and see you there

04/09/2012 at 10:36

Remember, very narrow start so get a good position towards the front and be careful. Seen folk fall early on there.

04/09/2012 at 13:25
The Egyptian Toe wrote (see)

Remember, very narrow start so get a good position towards the front and be careful. Seen folk fall early on there.

Probably better to say "start in a position that correspondes to your predicted finish time".... I've seen lots of runners start in the sub 90min area saying they were hoping to get under 2 hours!!!

This is where the problem of fallers comes in as people behind (who are faster and stood in the correct starting zone) are having to pass these runners very early on.

04/09/2012 at 14:02

I'm doing this one (number etc has arrived) ... well if I can get there. I need to buy a new car before the weekend!

04/09/2012 at 14:14
PB potential? First time I've run it, building up to Chester marathon early Oct so doesn't fit great with my long run schedule but considering having a go at a sub 1.35.
04/09/2012 at 21:09

Simon- fits my P&D schedule for Chester- well, with a bit of juggling 10k and half races around Going to run this as a pulse check on progress towards Chester.... sub 80 hopefully

05/09/2012 at 14:07

First half marathon since bad IBT injury - very excited but very nervous really looking forward to Sunday - is this a course for a PB or not?  Can anybody tell me if most of the route is under the trees as well please! See you all on Sunday

05/09/2012 at 14:42

DH coarse is 1st mile all uphill next 11 underlating left hand side off lake mostly in shade but the return on the right is mostly in the open last mile all downhill,hope this helps

05/09/2012 at 15:56
I'd not say that it is undulating. Only mile 1 and 13 a not flat IMO. The firstvtime I did it, I found it very hot over the last few miles as it is a late start and it is a little exposed too. Def PB course if not really warm IMO.
05/09/2012 at 23:30

Really, this is just what causes nasty injuries because like Dean Says the following runners basically overwelme the "slower" runner. if everyone started in the relevant zone this wouldn`t be a problem. fair enough if your going to be looking for a win or top ten or something otherwise its a bad idea really in my opinion.

06/09/2012 at 07:34

Just out of interest how many pens and what sort of time intervals (15 mins or smaller).  I was hoping for a PB as running well at the mo after 18months of struggling with a hip injury but I suspect sundays forecasted weather will put a spanner in the works!  However, what I really don't want is to pick up an injury now (running Snowdonia next month), so want to make sure I am in the right place to stay out of trouble!  

06/09/2012 at 08:54
Thanks guys for your comments - massive help to me. Forecast is unfortunately very warm for Sunday (the one day I was praying for light rain and overcast). Looks like I will be running with my sun hat on and water bottle in hand! Good luck everyone for Sunday!!! Enjoy!!!
06/09/2012 at 17:58
Andy - it is very narrow and that is the greater cause. Can I amend my tip? Make sure that you are right at the front of your estimated time pen. I was last year but still spent the best part of a mile side stepping slower runners. Only place to be 'safe' is right at the back.
06/09/2012 at 19:18

Dr Dan, if you do buy a new car and make the start would like to say hello to you, after lots of correspondence on the HADD site.

My number on Sunday is 771. 

07/09/2012 at 10:16
Andy - it is very narrow and that is the greater cause. Can I amend my tip? Make sure that you are right at the front of your estimated time pen. I was last year but still spent the best part of a mile side stepping slower runners. Only place to be 'safe' is right at the back.

Fair enough right at the front of your pen i suppose, that in thoery should be the perfect answer. the reason for my comment is that here in north wales at certain races this happens where you get people in fancy dress starting at the very front of a 10 miler but taking ages more than the actual winner. its just dangerous to my way of thinking.

http://gw-images.co.uk/communities/2/004/008/737/612/images/4573558651_525x349.jpg

07/09/2012 at 12:24
andy the deestrider. wrote (see)

Fair enough right at the front of your pen i suppose, that in thoery should be the perfect answer. the reason for my comment is that here in north wales at certain races this happens where you get people in fancy dress starting at the very front of a 10 miler but taking ages more than the actual winner. its just dangerous to my way of thinking.

http://gw-images.co.uk/communities/2/004/008/737/612/images/4573558651_525x349.jpg

Don`t worry, that happens in Yorkshire too, I`m afraid. I was beaten by a Daffodil at my first attempt in the LVHM. Glad I`ve improved a bit since then!

Have a great time all!

07/09/2012 at 13:20

TGT- this particular person does really get on the nerves of a few people because she insists on starting at the front row of races, . i know some of the few local female runners who are actually good an even they dont start on the front row and they are 60 & 66 min 10mile runners. i myself as a 57min runner didn`t get to start on the front row either, just to make it clear i have nothing against slower runners though either because without them then we wouldn`t have a race at all, and i`m sure i`ll be a mid pack runner one day myself but i`ll still start in the relevant place.

aaaaannnnndd  breath.

08/09/2012 at 11:00

4m jog in the sun for me this morning- legs feeling stiff and achy- just like they do the day before every race Driving up to Lake Vyrnwy in a bit. See you all tomorrow.

andy the deestrider. wrote (see)

TGT- this particular person does really get on the nerves of a few people because she insists on starting at the front row of races,

Oh yeah,

P.S. I've sharpened my elbows

Edited: 08/09/2012 at 11:01
10/09/2012 at 10:51

Yep, the start was indeed a bit crazy ... I saw one runner (from Horsforth, where I live) who was walking back to the start with blood all over his head/face - assume he'd fallen in the first mile.

Entering the start from the front is also asking for trouble ... as soon as folk cross the start line, they stop. Combined with a narrow road and no chip timing, it leads to a bit of a scrum (I heard some folk saying that they didn't want to move back because they'd "lose time"). For those are willing to line up in the right place, I think they need better signs for the "pens" (a low down sign with small writing is no good in a crowd) ... also some marshalls "encouraging" runners to line up in the correct time zone might help.

Apart from that, it was a great event and worth the 260 mile round trip.

I over cooked things myself ... painful last 5K as a result.

10/09/2012 at 11:05

come on then what did people think of it?

myself i thought it was a tough day at the office compare to normal but that could just be me. happy to of got a pb......just, by 5 seconds for 1:16:50 so that'll keep me happy for the time being  was going for 1.15 so after 3 miles the splits were 5.40 5.46 5.43 so thought brilliant this might actually happen today, but every mile marker after that the average pace had slipped by 1 second so thank god for that downhill last mile allowing me to claw back a handfull of seconds, phew. was gutted to see me training partner have a dissapointing run after ticking all the boxes in his training, sometimes though these things happen which cant be explained though. i just hope he has a smashing run fairly soon to get his confidence brimming again. 

21 to 40 of 63 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.