Leatherhead Fire Station 10K

41 to 47 of 47 messages
18/11/2004 at 11:48
Shirl - what is IMHO?
18/11/2004 at 12:45
I think Shirl is being a bit too critical on the race info/maps side. I've done 4 races this year: not one had a map or course details beforehand (even though they were off-road).

I've done approx 130 races in my long and pathetically futile running career and I reckon less than 10% included a map along with the running number. It's nice when they do, but it isn't that common.

It was described on the entry form as a Fun Run and designed to raise money for Rianna's Fund - there's always room for improvement, but I thought they did really well. It suceeded both as a race for serious runners and as a charity event (IMHO, obviously).
18/11/2004 at 17:00
Emma
IMHO - In my humble opinion!

Mike
You've been unlucky then - I can't recall a race I've done that hasn't provided a map and info on e.g. parking, loos, baggage storage etc. I didn't see the race entry form - I applied on the universal entry form after seeing the race - 'Leatherhead Fire Station 10k' advertised here in Events. No mention of 'Fun Run' there.

Strikes me that the organisers are missing a trick if concerns about cost are the barrier to providing decent info. There were no sponsors names/logos on the race number or sponsorship form. Perhaps asking a local business to provide 500 sheets of paper in return for their name on the race number would solve the problem.
18/11/2004 at 17:08
Shirl

I have to say that all despite the lack of info beforehand the race more than made up in terms of location, route and organisation. I would prefer any spare dosh to go to Rhianna's fund than on the info.

Anyway, oncce you've done it once you know the route for next year anyway. Perhaps they should post a map on the web then you download if you want to. I'm with Mike on this one.
BFG
24/11/2004 at 14:39
Ran this as my second race, found out about it through the Ashtead Angels Moonwalk team. Although I obviously do not have a lot of experience of these things, I thought it was really well organised, good atmosphere, and not a problem about not being provided with a map, as good info was on this forum. Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation for all your hard work. See you next year. (ps I could have done with a bit of oxygen at the top of The Ridgeway tho'!!)
25/11/2004 at 09:01
Hi all,

I think that it should be remembered that this is only the second running of this race, so the organisers are still discovering possible improvements etc. It should also be remembered that the organisers are a small but dedicated bunch of Surrey Fireman who ran the initial race/fun run last year to raise money for their colleague, Rob Green who was involved in a tragic road traffic accident which resulted in serious injury to himself and the tragic death of his wife. As the first year was such a success, which saw a field of around 250 competitors, they decided to run it again this year to raise money for Rianna's fund (a much deserving local charity which raises money for disadvantaged children and was set up in memory of a much loved local child). Due to my posting the details on this website, the race was sold out this year with 500 runners/walkers. In MY humble opinion the race organisers performed brilliantly and were never overwhelmed by the event. If there is criticism of the way the event was advertised then that criticism should be levelled at me and not the organisers. I have no doubt that the race will be as good, if not better, next year. I take my hat off to those that spent a great deal of their own time and effort to organise a great race and to raise a significant amount of money for our local charity.
30/11/2004 at 15:53
Well I thought it was a fantastic race and thanks to the information in the forums I could work out the course route myself using multimap. Definitely one of my favourite races so far, and the coffee and flapjacks at the end certainly helped! Well done to everybody involved and I hope it doesn't change too much next year...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.