Leeds Abbe Dash

Anyone done/doing it?

1 to 20 of 44 messages
26/09/2005 at 21:36
One I've always meant to do, so have entered this year - I assume the course is fairly quick, but crowded, i guess - lots of comedy costumes about?

Several new runners from where I work doing it, so should be ok for a splendid lunch and a few snifters afterwards...
27/09/2005 at 21:22
Me and some of the chaps from work are taking part - one's a newbie. According to the boss (fitness freak who runs 3 peaks for fun at weekend), it's flat & fast. Last year the last finisher was just over 1hr30 and distinct lack of comedy runners.
However, it is for chariteeee - so things could change!
27/09/2005 at 22:10
Evening, TPL.

I know you're doing it. I was wondering if anyone I don't work with was.

Yours,

Fitness Freaky Colleague.
From embsay.
H.
28/09/2005 at 13:40
I'm in and I don't think I work with you. I am looking for another job though so if you could bear that in mind. I should probably ask what you do first. If it's licking toilets clean then I'll probably pass. Up for virtually anything else though! Anyway...

Did this one last year. It's fast/flat and was good fun. I don't remember too many dressed up runners or the course getting too crowded. I managed to get a pb anyway which I'm hoping to break.

I think there's a few people doing it. There was another thread somewhere I'm sure..
30/09/2005 at 04:29
Not done this one before but i'm in for it 2. I've heard its flat & fast so looks a good shot for a PB.
XB
30/09/2005 at 07:00
I'm in. I did it last year and enjoyed the city centre finish. I thought I was a famous racer for a minute...
Ellie.    pirate
30/09/2005 at 08:52
I did it last year too and will be back again this year. It's great when the faster runners come back the other way and give you loads of encouragement.
H.
30/09/2005 at 11:59
I call that depressing....
30/09/2005 at 15:00
I'm doing the Horsforth 10k on Sunday, so The Dash will be only my second 10k...I don't have a PB yet!!
30/09/2005 at 16:19
Nell Mcandrew was talking about this on the Chris Moyles Breakfast show before the GNR, she's going to be doing it.

If I can get some freinds to go up to Leeds for the weekend, I might consider it, my first race!!
30/09/2005 at 16:20
Or not be doing it as the closing date was 1st september :(
30/09/2005 at 16:27
I have done it the last 2 years, and like it. It's a very fast course, but there are a lor of runners so most people will lose some time.
I like it because it's a month before Christmas, and it's therefore great for doing some Christmas shopping after the race. Most runners should be back and changed before the shops open at 11am.
Later we usually go on to Harry Ramsden in Guisley for guilt free fish and chips.
30/09/2005 at 17:22
Helen

The event website says the closing date is 13th November unless its full.

30/09/2005 at 17:36
I think on RW Events page it says 1st Sep but on the Help The Aged website it says 13 Nov!
30/09/2005 at 21:12
It's postal entries that closed on 1st Sept apparently - so should still be able to register online if all the places aren't taken.

H - after my references to the boss in my message (I should have checked the profile or squinted at the photo at least!) you can probably have my job!

Am now a little concerned about the 'fast runners coming other way' scenario. . . .
04/10/2005 at 14:59
Hello mind if I join in. I'm in this year missed last year due to been 8 months pregnant but did it the two years before that.It's a great course and the leaders coming back towards you is a boost , especially if you do it again next year and your abit futher along the course before you spot them.

I hear that they are chipping you this year which is great as the start can be abit slow if you get stuck at the back.
U/A
04/10/2005 at 16:02
They used the timing chips last year too.

The 'fast runners coming the other way' bit is actually one of the highlights of the race, as far as I can see. Both sides of the road can encourage one another.
04/10/2005 at 16:40
Chipping A good thing then U/A ? never been chipped before.Do you think it helped get a more acurate time?
nsc
04/10/2005 at 16:53
this was my first 10k and first race other the RfL, and I enjoyed every minute. Entered again this year, but haven't been plodding much so am not expecting to be much better. I started quite far back knowing that I am a plodder not a sprinter and the difference between gun and chip time was 3 mins - so yes claire, much more accurate (as blonde me forgot to set my watch going!). See you all there
04/10/2005 at 17:29
Plenty of time nsc to get some plodding in before the race.
1 to 20 of 44 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.