Leeds Abbey Dash 10k

Race Report (specially for MikeS!)

41 to 51 of 51 messages
03/12/2002 at 18:39
Monique..the results show you and I finished in the same time of 39:28, spooky. You sound as if your form has dipped a little, been injured or something? As you beat me by nearly three minutes in the Brass Monkey half marathon earlier this year I presume you will be back on top form for the same race at the end of Jan.2003, best of luck.
04/12/2002 at 15:01
I saw all the distance markers, didn't realise the 7k one was incorrect but did wonder why my average 5:15/km went up to 6 for that km.

Finished in 52 mins, only other 10k I've done (British 10k, July) I did in 59 mins so I guess I have to be pleased, though secretly I was hoping for sub-50, with < 53 being good and < 55 acceptable.

1/2M training for the Brass Monkey next for me.
04/12/2002 at 15:06
Did you get caught up in the crowds at the beggining though Monkey? Surprising how much time you lose picking your way through. Like you I was hoping for sub 50 but I knew that was a no hoper by the time I'd got to TGI Fridays and realised I hadnt started running!!

Hey Monkey and Chimp, both doing Brass Monkey!
04/12/2002 at 18:04
Drew
Yes, Glasgow was 10 times wetter! Couldn't believe it - drove through it on way up from Greenock and thought - please let this rain be heading the other way! Finished in 2hrs 10mins. How about you?

05/12/2002 at 10:31
Chimp, I was plodding along within 30 seconds of the start so I don't think that was it - just not quite up to 50min pace yet. Never mind, it will just make it sweeter when I do crack it.
05/12/2002 at 10:39
Drew, I copied the results into a Word file and searched for my name, and couldn't find it either. I got the official results this morning and I'm not on that, so I rang Help the Aged and they said the guy who did the results said he'd made 5 errors. Just my luck - but I really wanted to see my name and official time in black and white!
05/12/2002 at 13:55
Lynda, finished in 1:24. Had planned to go well under 1:20 but had an awful day, feeling really ill after about 3 or 4 miles.

I always enjoy Glasgow as the course runs past or close by 3 of the three houses I have lived in! I also used to spend lots of time in Pollok Park.
05/12/2002 at 17:53
Monkey, keep it going. Last year at Abbey Dash i did 52 mins with only a little bit of training. I joined a club in October and trained quite well for it and did a PB of 49 mins. It was, as you say a sweet moment. If you can go from 59 to 52mins within a few months if won't be long before you'll crack 50. Good luck.
Monique    pirate
06/12/2002 at 10:06
Wardi, I'm not ignoring you, I just have a pc at work and am only in 3 days. Yes I have had a dip in form which I put down to running Blackpool marathon 8 weeks after London I am only just getting back into it. Also I have been concentrating more on triathlon training and am now learning tumble turns!
I will be doing Brass Monkey when I truly hope I have recovered form, we shall see.
14/12/2002 at 21:50
It did seem more crowded this year, I got held up by the 5 a-breast runners at the start and missed my PB by 9 seconds ;-(
43:48. I did manage negative splitts though which considering the conditions was quite an acheavement (spelling ??), and I got all of the Km markers although 7 scared the life out of me.

My wife and my work colegeue both managed PB's both under 55mins

See some of you at Bolsover in the morning or Southwell at the end of the year

15/12/2002 at 16:47
This race gets more popular every year, i have done it 3 times now. It is always advertised as fast and flat which is not strictly true. There is a fairly steep climb going round the Abbey and again near the end coming up to the Town Hall. I have never got a pb on it and i think the Dewsbury is a much flatter course.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 51 of 51 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.