Liverpool Half Marathon 2012

Run to the Mersey Beat! 18.03.12.

21 to 40 of 276 messages
28/10/2011 at 10:44
A social gathering always sounds good to me. I may even have a go at the Santa Dash this year.
28/10/2011 at 10:55

I'll be entering this one, for some reason I thought it went through the tunnel!, so will have to enter the tunnel 10k as that def does .

Santa dash looks a laugh, think the other half is doing it.

28/10/2011 at 17:48

Looking forward to this one

. I did it for the first time this year and loved  it. The atmosphere and support was fantastic, it was my first Half, loved so much I thought I should run a marathon so I ran the Chester marathon, which was closer to home than Liverpool!!.

See you all in March..

31/10/2011 at 12:20

If anyone's interested in the iMarathon Training sessions that Alan's mentioned - I went to a couple for the Marathon (as a 26-mile newbie!) and they were really useful. Practical, and enough of the 'science bit' to help understand why training schedules are structured as they are. I learned a lot - and that was without going to the training runs. Certainly recommend them if you're looking to get a good interactive session.

31/10/2011 at 12:57

I've also just done my rating for the Marathon (eventually!).

Does that mean I'm allowed out on the social gathering (it was a positive rating!)  

31/10/2011 at 16:52

Flame......

What about these Imarathon sessions?  Will i find the info on the runliverpool web site?

(should look before asking really  )

31/10/2011 at 21:48

A couple of questions from a Cumbrian.

Is it a fast / pb course ?

Do you run through a bottleneck around mile 8 and is it a problem ?

I would love to run this in 2012. I wanted to do it this year and incorporate it into my EMF training but it fell on my daughters birthday.

Has anyone here done the Cumbrian Run Half ? If so how does it compare ?

I hope you talk (type) me into it

01/11/2011 at 08:59
One20Four wrote (see)

A couple of questions from a Cumbrian.

Is it a fast / pb course ?

Do you run through a bottleneck around mile 8 and is it a problem ?

I would love to run this in 2012. I wanted to do it this year and incorporate it into my EMF training but it fell on my daughters birthday.

Has anyone here done the Cumbrian Run Half ? If so how does it compare ?

I hope you talk (type) me into it

No bottleneck that ive ever noticed!!! P.B course for me 1:31..as long as the wind is'nt too bad for the last few miles along the waterfront!!
01/11/2011 at 12:51

Barney

I think it used to be a direct link on the marathon page of the RL website - but I can't see it now. Makes sense, as all the dates would be gone anyway.

If you select RLM from the Events tab at the top of the home page, then the Friends of the Marathon link on the left,  you get a link to iMarathon in the middle of the top line. That tells you a bit about what they offer.

I'm sure when they're set up for the Half, they'll be flagged  

01/11/2011 at 13:04

I set a new PB for last year's Liverpool Half (1:51) - took seven minutes off my previous best.

The underpass (just after 8m) wasn't a bottle neck for me last year.  It's obviously narrower than being in the open (eg the parks or sea front) but no problems (for me) getting through without slowing down.

I'm very keen to return this year - a pier head start / finish would be ace.

01/11/2011 at 14:40

Flame..

Cheers, will have a look

One20Four

No bottle neck 'really' the bit i think your on about has been mentioned......the underpass/subway bit.  Having done this event 2 years on the trot thats the only bit i can think of, i suppose its a comfy 3 abreast runners going into it and through it, its only 100yards at the most i think.its nothing to worry about anyway!

As for PB....deffo theres a longish incline a few miles in but honestly its nothing.  The only thing i think/worry a bit about is when you get back running along the river again, think its about 10-11 mile-ish.  If the wind is with you then great, if its not (it wasnt in my 1st year doing it) and your running head on into it.......its a long/hard final 3 mile back!!

Great event though.........Will do this one every year possible!  Support etc is very good.  You may even get Allan calling your name and number as you aproach the finishing line (1st year i did).

I think something needs to be done about handing out the goody bag though.  It was mentioned in last years thread.  To many peaple take more than one bag!!  Why ??  Abloke collecting his in front of me last year went all the way down the line collecting them of every other person handing them out!!  And then you get some who take a little longer to run it getting there and there was none left!!  STUPID!

I dont no what the answer is to this...

01/11/2011 at 17:03
Tasers!! That's the answer!!
cougie    pirate
01/11/2011 at 17:11
I'm really not understanding the goody bag thing anyway.
I like a teeshirt and a medal for big events - but as to the rest - I don't think I've even emptied out the last two goody bags I've had.

Goody bags should be for kids parties.
02/11/2011 at 07:19

Agreed cougie ..and added bonus if I find a mars bar in there...

Will be looking to put my Marathon disappointment behind me and get under 2hrs on this one ..same with Mrs Warkie roll on March

02/11/2011 at 14:39

Two good ideas there...................Mars bars would be great, even if it were just the small party ones!  And tasering any one that takes more than one bag!!!!!!!!

I love the t-shirt and medal TBH, them and the satisfaction of completeing the course are the only reason i do it...........well, and dong it to keep a bit fit and try and get a PB.

Great t-shirt last year, but Allan......can we have ADULT (XL) sizes this year too??

02/11/2011 at 16:50
Applied for the half marathon today, I am also doing the santa dash 5k

I know this might seem like an obvious question but do people take the 5k seriously and try and go fast or just jog slow because they're in suits etc?
02/11/2011 at 18:51

Am really interested now. Just waiting for a couple of running buddies to decide. I hope they say yes.

Does anyone know where I can find the results of this years event ?

Cheers

04/11/2011 at 20:28
at some races i have done when you get t shirt and goody bag they tear a bit off the number you have or mark it with a pen so you only get one maybe this could be used and you have to show  your number to the people giving out the goody bags and once matked thats it no more for you !!!
05/11/2011 at 09:06

This will be one of my first goals for next year, my runnings going well at the mement (kiss of death I know) done 3 weeks in my new running club with mostly speed work and been in a cross country race so hopefully increasing my speed coupled with half marathon specific long runs up to the race will mean I smash my pb .

One 20 four, you can find the results here 

05/11/2011 at 13:09

The only potential bottle necks are the underpass (but I haven't heard anyone say they got held up there) and one part of the stretch along the river narrows briefly but I don't think times would be greaty affected. This will be my 6th Liverpool Half and would recomend it to anyone who is still undecided.

On the goody bag discussion I like a piece of cake, a balloon, a whistle and some sweets, that's why I mug my kids when they come out of parties. The distribution at the end of the Marathon worked well and stopped the greedies.

21 to 40 of 276 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.