Would you run the Liverpool Marathon?

501 to 516 of 516 messages
28/03/2007 at 22:12
Wilmslow next year it is then :)
29/04/2007 at 22:29
Any update on this ????????
02/05/2007 at 18:47
Hi Slowfoot

Unfortunately we have been trying in vain to get a response from the Culture Company, so I have no news either way at present. As soon as I do, we will post something here.

Have emailed again today and will keep you informed if a response is forthcoming.

04/05/2007 at 21:11
Response received from Culture Company - May 2nd

'Thank you for your email.

As you are aware we are investigating the feasibility of your proposal.

I will follow up and contact you soon.’

Will keep you informed.
08/05/2007 at 18:41
Sorry to report today that we have had an email from the Culture Company to say that a marathon will not be included in the culture programme for 2008.

The excuse is mainly ‘other commitments’, while we do understand there are a lot of commitments, we feel a great opportunity has been missed by this council in not staging what could have been the jewel in the crown of the sporting programme of 2008

An opportunity, by the way that Newcastle would not have dreamed of missing out on had they been successful in the bid. Clearly Newcastle has a greater insight into what culture means to ordinary citizens.

It is such a pity that the Culture Company has decided upon an approach which is more interested in ‘Avant-Garde Art’ and focused on pleasing the advertisers and money men involved, rather than providing activities which are significant and pertinent to the people of the city

So what are we left with to show the world of this city’s road race sporting heritage…… The Women’s 10K in Sefton Park…..the Liverpool 10K in Sefton Park….and the much criticised (to put it mildly) Half Marathon in Sefton Park (incorporating the backstreets of Liverpool).

I can see the prospective visitors to the city clamouring to book into the city as we speak…NOT!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you, those that signed the petition and supported the campaign, sent messages of support to the campaigners. Unlike the so called ‘flagship’ race organiser in the city who refused either sign the petition or to back the campaign and in fact has been dismissive of the campaign in general.

Whilst this campaign may not have produced anything ‘miraculous’, we refuse to be negative as to the outcome…..what it has done has brought the issues to the attention of the press, the media and the wider public…..not only nationally but internationally.

The petition will remain as a reminder to any future council leaders who have the drive and foresight to see the potential of this idea, and see that there is a genuine wish and desire locally, nationally and internationally for this event to happen in Liverpool.

We fervently believe that this event will happen at sometime in the future and if it does, it will be because of this campaign and all of your efforts which have revitalised the idea and possibly awoken a sleeping giant, without this campaign the idea of a marathon would have stagnated and died if left to those who don’t have the genuine desire or will to see quality events staged in the city.

Thanks again from everyone involved with MM08

08/05/2007 at 20:22
No real suprise there though I feel Ydrib. I think it's a great shame.

I was speaking to someone a couple of weeks ago who fears that the whole Culture year is going to be a shambles.
09/05/2007 at 13:45
I'm not surprised either.
Unless there is an organisation committee and they are prepared to put in the work to organise it and go prepared with all the plans then the answer would be 'No'.

Incidentally, Cork (as a previous city of Culture etc) are staging a marathon this year and have pledged to continue it for the next 5 years.
10/05/2007 at 16:52
F*k them, let's have a bandit race anyway. OK, maybe the 100 Mara club might not join in if it's not official but I would hope that between them all the various clubs in the city could gather enough volunteers to help out.

Bit like FF though - no surprise at that council.
12/05/2007 at 15:49
Only just seen this thread today. What a great idea. Liverpool should most definitely have a full marathon. I'd certainly be up for it in 2008. Only issue may be that the suggested August date will hit holiday time for people with children at school or uni, or those who work in education. That apart, fantastic. Very best of luck with organising it.
19/09/2007 at 21:20

Just to let you know, we havent given up on this one just yet.

Its just been announced that there has been a reshuffle in the culture company and the newly appointed Phil Redmond has asked that any ideas that have been rejected in the past, to be resubmitted for consideration....so we thought, In for a penny......so we have sent him a brief overview of the campaign etc so far.

Will keep you updated, should anything develop

Watch this space..........

20/09/2007 at 03:06
This thread has been fascinating to read: the will to resurrect a Marathon in Liverpool certainly seems to be there. However, to float the idea for 2008 appears to be optimistic to say the least, given the time it takes to organise even a modest 200-runner event from scratch.

Hopefully, Phil Redmond can give the 2008 campaign the filip it seems to need - having lived and worked in Liverpool for over 13 years, the consensus from the people I meet points towards a banana skin rather than a triumphant celebration. Mind you, that said, I'm only a woollyback
20/09/2007 at 09:00
22/12/2007 at 14:58
For information – received 19th December via email ______________________________________________________________ Mersey Marathon 2008 Liverpool Culture CompanyLiverpool City CouncilPO Box 2008Municipal BuildingDale StreetLiverpoolwww.liverpool08.com  To whom it may concern Thanks for being so patient while we sifted through all the submissions we received for cultural cleaning.  Unfortunately organising the infrastructure for such a large-scale project like a Marathon is not going to be possible at this late stage. While we appreciate this will not be the answer you had hoped for, it was decided that the outcomes of your proposal would not specifically contribute to 2008 over and above what is already planned. The short-listing process took into account not only the impact and relevance the project would have upon Liverpool during 2008, but also how it would enhance or innovate over and above the existing Capital of Culture 2008 programme. We also carefully considered the scale of the project, how much support it required and how close to delivery the project is, as these are all important factors when being realistic about the extent of external support the newly established Cultural Cleaning is likely to provide. Non-addition into the Open culture project does not mean we consider the project to have no value or that this is the end of the road: and we encourage you to pursue other avenues towards making your project a reality for 2009. Best Wishes    Phil Redmond and the Open Culture Team 

Merry Christmas Everyone!

22/12/2007 at 15:05
28/12/2007 at 12:37
Sorry to hear this Birdy still one day maybe if you ever thought of organising a Mersey marathon I would be keen to help in any way possible.
29/12/2007 at 12:02

Not entirely unexpected but disappointing all the same.  The programme of events for 2008 must be very impressive indeed to rule out an event that would have kick-started the city's bid to re-establish itself as a running hotspot.

Still, I have had the benefit of reading Mr Redmonds's eloquent refusal, so it's not all bad.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
501 to 516 of 516 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.