Liverpool Marathon 2013

EVENT CANCELLED

21 to 40 of 231 messages
08/02/2013 at 14:25

Probably not, but it will be interesting if I get a response!

08/02/2013 at 14:30
My money is on, not my fault, maybe elf and safety or fear of claims
08/02/2013 at 14:42

I did it last year. Thoroughly enjoyed the day. My guess is it had nothing to do with money but more the fact that the city shops and businesses have had a complaint about the road closures on some of the main arterial roads into the city taking up a full day.

No excuse in my mind there are plenty more ways of getting into the city without driving all the way.

Sorry to hear it Alan 

08/02/2013 at 14:52
Any marathon needs the good will of the people of the city. Sounds like, as Chiilboy says that there is a bit of general mean spiritedness in Liverpool.
08/02/2013 at 15:08

That's a shame, sorry about that Alan.

08/02/2013 at 15:25

Absolutley gutted ....... I ran the race for the last two years as my first marathons and loved every moment of it. I just wish cities would think about more than just shopping and keeping the retailers happy! If you want a marathon in your city then of course its going to be an inconvenience to some people but it enriches the city because it shows it off to the rest of the country!

Thank you Alan and team for bringing the marathon to Liverpool its been great.

Now ...... which councellor should i send my complaints to?

08/02/2013 at 15:29

I could imagine some of the shops thinking customers stay away with the roads being closed.  On the other hand, I wonder how much business is generated in the shops / cafes / restaurants / hotels (etc) from runners and supporters on Marathon weekend?  We were in Sefton Park last year for the race and the cafes were doing great business.

cougie    pirate
08/02/2013 at 15:33
I never drive into town anyway - trains are much easier and cheaper.

The only time I'm in Liverpool on a Sundays are thanks to running the Liverpool Half or Marathons ! Shopping after a marathon isn't that much fun. Who knew ?
08/02/2013 at 16:01

Compaint to the Mayor submitted.

Complaint to the Council submitted.

I shan't hold my breath for a reply!

08/02/2013 at 16:04
Put a claim in, contact Paul Rooney, I heard about a mass claim against Sonae it's as realistic
LIVERBIRD    pirate
08/02/2013 at 16:21
I've only popped on because I know Alan will read this. I don't post in RW anymore.
*waves to Cougie* I agree with every word you said.
Liverpool couldn't BE a great city. It IS a great city. And it's people are some of the friendliest, kindest, most welcoming, down to earth human beings ever to walk the earth. It just has a REALLY shit council who say one thing and do another. Who claim to promote health and wellbeing and then make it as difficult as possible to actually STAGE anything in it. The triathlon went last week. And now this.
Unless of course it's a giant little girl or a bloody great big spider. Then that's fine.
I'm so sorry Alan. I really am. I haven't calmed down yet. Can you tell?
08/02/2013 at 16:35

Alan, I assume the people who you are dealing with aren't runners, had there been someone in your corner who was a passionate runner, it might have ended differently and I would be contacting The Echo if I were you.  This isn't a fair decision when a popular, much needed local marathon, gets shelved after 2 years.  Other Cities cope. 

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 16:36
LIVERBIRD    pirate
08/02/2013 at 16:43
The Echo are in the pocket of the council, no?
They were far more interested in publishing complaints from a tiny minority of people who thought it against their human rights to not be able to drive past the Albert dock for one day a year than celebrate a triumph of running in the city.
08/02/2013 at 16:44
Agree with LiverBird. It is really unfair that people think of Liverpudlians as idle, work-shy, untrustworthy layabouts who will steal anything that isn't nailed down. It that kind of commonly held belief by the majority of people who have have ever met a scouser that brings down the reputation of this once great city.
08/02/2013 at 16:46

Oh ok, don't contact them then.  Just a thought.  

08/02/2013 at 16:53

Thank you all for the comments. as ever, there is an element of truth in all of them. Fact is it is just to difficult to get lengthy road closure along the Strand. The economic benefit of the marathon isn't going to the right places I'm afraid and the major businesses along the waterfront have have complained about loss of trade.

Clearly regular shoppers are more important every day (especially Sunday shoppers) and they take priority over a major event such as ours - only LCC don't see it as a major event and don't belive it will achieve anything beyond what it is now.

An interesting viewpoint that I don't neccessarily agree with. 

08/02/2013 at 17:32
Its a shame Alan but dont you think the the olimpic legacy was a load of crap once its gone no one in councils wants to do anything sporty because there is no funding for them.
08/02/2013 at 17:32
AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Thank you all for the comments. as ever, there is an element of truth in all of them. Fact is it is just to difficult to get lengthy road closure along the Strand. The economic benefit of the marathon isn't going to the right places I'm afraid and the major businesses along the waterfront have have complained about loss of trade.

Clearly regular shoppers are more important every day (especially Sunday shoppers) and they take priority over a major event such as ours - only LCC don't see it as a major event and don't belive it will achieve anything beyond what it is now.

An interesting viewpoint that I don't neccessarily agree with. 

Lack of vision maybe? I don't think Brendan Foster would have thought that the GNR would be this big now 30 years ago. I don't know Alan but I do know he has pushed and pushed for many years to put on and establish some great events against a lot of adversity. Fair play to the fella but unfortunately it can't happen without the right people on side.

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 17:33
cougie    pirate
08/02/2013 at 17:33
Two laps of the wirral side then ?
08/02/2013 at 18:06

Just as sanity appeared to have reared it's ugly head the council step in and show what a short sighted gang of half witted numpties they truly are.....The Strand is heaving every Sunday in October as we all know, so who on earth would want thousands of potential customers cluttering up the pavements and staying in the hotels getting the bedrooms all untidy ? Way to go LCC......Yet another own goal.

21 to 40 of 231 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.