Liverpool Marathon 2013

EVENT CANCELLED

81 to 100 of 205 messages
10/02/2013 at 13:44

It's looking like the run went well, is growing in name and popularity, and organiser and Council would like it to continue,

However Organiser wants a new route, Council wants a new route, but both want different routes.

Compromise and fix it, not rocket science, you'll both look bigger than you look now.

10/02/2013 at 13:45

By the way I don't think it's appropriate to throw insults about when something like this could disappear through petty decisions.

10/02/2013 at 14:02

EKGO - I don't want a new route. I just want the one we have.

10/02/2013 at 14:03
I rest my case.
10/02/2013 at 14:06

So you dig your heels in and that's that, no way to negotiate successfuly, but a sure way to fail,

10/02/2013 at 14:06

In my Opinion of course

10/02/2013 at 14:13

If you want to take financial responsibility for a race that has no future then you are welcome to take it on. There was no negotiation. I was told to run the event out of town and finish on Wirral. I don't believe that is in the long term interests of the event.

There was no alternative and there was no discussion.

Nurse Gladwys - there is nothing wrong with the course as it stands and there is no need to change it. The changes proposed were not in the interest of the event and it is my responsibility to ensure the event has a future. 

10/02/2013 at 14:13

no more womens 10k ? that is sad it was one of my favourite races i had run 18 in a row and was feeling fed up as i have a serious injury so no running for months and i was sad that this would be the first time in 18 years that i couldnt do it i remember when this race was packed and loved to do it the first time i ran took an hour and 20 mins and then i got down to 47 mins i felt it encouraged women of all ages and sizes to have a go at running what a shame its gone .

10/02/2013 at 14:32

The demise of a women-only event is nothing to shed a tear over.

The idea that it's OK to discriminate against 50% of the population is not right.

It may actually be illegal thanks to the Equality Act 2010.  You cannot discriminate when providing goods and services on the grounds of gender (and other protected characteristics).

10/02/2013 at 15:14
AlanRothwell wrote (see)

Nick - for your information I have had several approaches about corporate buy-outs over the last year or so and I have turned them all down. I don't do this for money. I never have. I've opted not to consider selling out because I believe in the integrity of the events and do not want them turned into monster races which just create revenue.

I take great personal responsibility for what I deliver for runners in this city and that clearly extends to protecting the integrity of the marathon. There is a point where compromise after compromise becomes unacceptable and detrimental to the event.

Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)
 Nobody really cares about the aesthetics of the route (Let's be honest) as long as we get a run

I disagree I wanted to do this event this year, it would mean me driving for 6 hours and a two night stay. Ive never been to Liverpool and was interested in seeing the place. So as a tourist I care about the aesthetics. I don't wont to run around some boring industrial suburb I can do that at home.

Alan I hope a compromise can be found.I salute you for standing up to the council.I know from personal experience that councils cannot see further than their nose.The real world, business and running doesnt compute in their eyes

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 15:22
10/02/2013 at 16:38

If wanted a fast marathon i would do Berlin or Abo if Liverpool is not worth a visit I will decide for myself. If a the marathon doesnt run through any good bits what the point?

10/02/2013 at 17:03

At the risk of being treated to one of Alan moderate and well reasoned responses...

Wasn't the Liverpool Marathon put out to tender, probably under the EU rules for tendering?  If so as someone who has managed contracts and tenders I'm sure I'd be checking the public disclosure elements before continuning a debate in a public forum.  If not for this tender, then for others... Google is used by many to check things out.

And genuinely that's trying to be helpful - I don't do RunLiverpool/BTR events following experiences similar to Gladys (though via electronic comms rather than phone).

Paul

ps As an observation the Three Graces are better viewed from the opposite bank - you see their glory and composition...

10/02/2013 at 19:28

Anyway did anyboby do the southport 10k today. what a fantastic event and the goody bag medal and t shirt says it all.

10/02/2013 at 20:39
Goody bag and a medal? No offence but you sound like a 5 year old...............LOL(as you people say)
10/02/2013 at 21:07

The Equality Act doesn't apply to everything and you can have female-only races.  There's a guy who's spent about the last decade trying to do away with female-only Races for Life and hit a dead end when he tried to use the Equality Act.  

Indeed in Glasgow there is a mens-only 10k and a highly successful ladies 10k (though Great Run are in charge of that one now).  There is also a very successful ladies 10k in Dublin so I don't accept that ladies-only races are unwanted, though I do accept that other races may be more commercially worthwhile (though blue Santas - really? And I say that as an Everton supporter!) 

Someone is starting a very expensive ladies-only 10k in Windsor so it will be interesting to see how that goes.  And of course up until 2011 there was a large 5k for ladies in Hyde Park - not sure if that is returning this year.

I can understand why the guys get annoyed with female-only races but it's actually quite nice to win a race - and a lady will never win a mixed race or very very rarely.  I often come within the top 5 ladies at my local parkrun, but will be 60th odd or lower overall.  So although it may seem discriminatory, it does have its value for women.

Anyway, I hope for Liverpool that the marathon happens.  I don't do marathons and the half marathon clashes with my local half in Fleet, but I hope to run a race in Liverpool/Merseyside at some point.

10/02/2013 at 23:06

I don't understand all the issues here and there's probabaly more to this than meets the eye, but at face value I can't understand what the Council is up to wanting to finsh the race elsewhere. A potentially iconic finish in an iconic location. It's what attracts people (and runners) to the city.  Imagine if London, New York, Boston, Berlin etc etc all finished on the outskirts of the city. 

Never been to Liverpool, but was planning on running the Marathon (good reviews and good atmosphere) and bringing the family up with me. Seems to me to be a significant loss of revenue for local businesses. Can only wonder what the locals think.

So looks like it might be Dublin again then. They don't seem to have a problem closing their streets in the city centre.  

11/02/2013 at 09:49

Well it looks like Eindhoven might be the answer, big marathon 10,000 runners, traffic free, same day and nice place and cheaper

11/02/2013 at 12:09

I've submiited a revised waterfront road use proposal to LCC yesterday and await a reply. My solution allows for uniteruppted access to the waterfront on the city side for vehicles with runners using the opposite side. Seems a perfectly workable solution to me and if offered the opportunity to discuss last Wednesday then it may not have been neccessary to cancel the event. We were not given that option.

Hope springs eternal...

11/02/2013 at 13:14

Good old Plan B

11/02/2013 at 15:24

to be fair it does pretty much shut down the entire centre of the city for a full day.

Loved running it in 2012 though, hope you can resolve the problems and get a route agreed.

81 to 100 of 205 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.