Liverpool Marathon 2013

EVENT CANCELLED

141 to 160 of 231 messages
12/02/2013 at 10:24
Ha ha council!! Priceless, I would not choose to work in Liverpool (my choice) and you seem to think everyone who expresses a contrary view to your own must be the underhand enemy, priceless
12/02/2013 at 10:44

I remember the old Mersey marathon used to pass the Liver Building. It was the 19 mile mark and after that it got hard.

The strange think about all this from the council is that they are complaining about vehicle access to the waterfront because of the road being used. If you could not get vehicle access how far would you have to walk ? About 200 yards and then you fall in the mersey.

Obviously no access does not apply to people and I would have thought that the businesses in the Albert dock, not to say Liverpool 1 amongst others would more than welcome the increased trade. I am not sure which business' would actually oppose.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
12/02/2013 at 10:51
Nick, whilst you are no doubt entitled to your view I find it extraordinary that you can decide that the entire population of a city all behave in precisely the same way.
Generalisation like that baffles me. Not everyone in Newcastle is friendly. Some are, some aren't. Not everyone in London is rude and nobody talks like Dick Van Dyke. People are PEOPLE. Some Liverpudlians are the salt of the earth. Some are probably a pain in the arse. Most will be somewhere inbetween.

And that's my view. And I'm NOT from Liverpool.
cougie    pirate
12/02/2013 at 11:31
I think Nick is taking us off topic here quite sucessfully.

Lets move on and hope we get some good news this week on the race.

I've still not entered Chester....
12/02/2013 at 11:59

it was with mixed emotions when i heard the marathon had been cancelled from the off it should have been panned better to avoid main roads after all those fat council men have to wait hours to get tp macdonalds kfc and other fat food shops along the route and our mayor bless him he couldnt run for a bus so why shuold he care after all good old joe sells off school playing fiellds to bulid houses on taking away parks and and open spaces and when mr rothwell brings an event like the marathon to lverpool the shopkeepers moan shame on you all liverpool one liverpool gone thanks to joe

12/02/2013 at 12:07
Sadly the people of Liverpool voted Joe and the rest of the council into power, so they are operating with the mandate of the people
12/02/2013 at 12:22

Dave - appearances can be deceiving. Someone came into our office yesterday and suggested that the lunatics have taken over the asylum... it would be interesting to find out precisely who makes these decisions (and why).

It always seems to be someone else, never anyone we speak to.

12/02/2013 at 12:31
Well someone voted them in !
cougie    pirate
12/02/2013 at 12:35
Dave - you should be on 'Have I got News for You' - every time someone makes a joke about the government - you can do your line !
12/02/2013 at 12:38
Yeah, that could be fun Don't think you can blame this on Cameron tho
cougie    pirate
12/02/2013 at 12:42
That's true.

Can we blame Clegg then ?
12/02/2013 at 12:44
Why not Clegg gets blamed for everything else
12/02/2013 at 15:35
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
Well someone voted them in !

31% of the electorate apparently. 27 of the 30 seats went to Labour, hardly surprising in Liverpool. A 'no can do ', anti-business, anti-enterprise attitude I'm afraid. A great pity as with its history and sites of interest Liverpool could become one of the iconic marathons of the world.

12/02/2013 at 15:39

Alan at what stage do you say "ok thats enough" it would appear you are able to comprimise but the council are not???

12/02/2013 at 15:58

No idea. The ball is in the court of LCC. I've submitted a workable solution to the problem we have been left with and await any kind of response. Nothing yet despite the spin suggestions on Friday in the media that LCC would like to find a solution.

Doesn't seem to be any kind of urgency I'm afraid. Perhaps that's the game plan?

12/02/2013 at 16:43

Looks like Joe Andersons 2 guys ( under a couple of different names ) are on the echo site defending the position and it does not look likely that it will change. If Joe Anderson himself wanted it to happen it would happen but without his direct intervention it is becoming to look like an unlikely I think. He did mention something about supporting grass root running in the article. I dont know what if anything that means but may be a different approach.

13/02/2013 at 23:52

Alan, following this thread with a bit of interest but too far away from Liverpool to know what's going on.  Have LCC come up with alternative routes so that the race can finish somewhere in town (Strand always struck me as as good a place as any to finish) or do they want to re-route it to Sefton Park or elsewhere?

I'd love to say that I can't fathom the response of LCC but a lifetime's experience of that shower (regardless of which political party is in the Town Hall) tends to demonstrate that they can grasp a defeat from the jaws of victory regularly.

14/02/2013 at 08:24

Almost a week later and no response from anyone from LCC about anything, this despite me submitting a Plan B last Sunday identifying how the Strand can be used without 'inconveniencing' access to the Liverpool ONE car park.

Does suggest how little they want want this event. No attempt to reslove the 'problems' regarding the use of the Strand although I hav done it for them.

14/02/2013 at 08:53

Alan, Did they ever go into specifics about exactly who was supposed to be so put out in the first place by the event ? To a mere human the idea of providing a crowd of thousands with money to spend on a Sunday would be thought of as quite good. Those travelling a distance will use hotels and restaurants the night before......Even on the day the spectators will eat, drink and park cars etc etc. You tell me how busy Merseyrail is on a normal Sunday morning compared to marathon day....It seems LCC want everyone to turn up, leave the money then p*** off to the Wirral early enough so nobody this side is inconvenienced. Grumble grumble but still hopeful

14/02/2013 at 09:54

Cidermonkey - a perfectly logical and correct observation... and no! No explanation as to WHY the waterfront roads could not be closed for the required marathon duration was given.

Neither was there any contact or dialogue about this road use 'issue' over the three month period between the 2012 event and the LCC imposition of e revers route decision last Wednesday. We have not been consulted at any time. 

141 to 160 of 231 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.