Liverpool Marathon 2013

EVENT CANCELLED

161 to 180 of 231 messages
14/02/2013 at 10:23

I for one don't want to finish on the Wirral (nothing personal to the leisure peninsular) Still plenty of time for them to see sense, but the worry is that if it drags out people will drift elsewhere.

14/02/2013 at 11:32

Just a throway thought. If the city want the route reversed then it would still  use the roads but clear them earlier. What if the course was starting from Birkenhead as is but after Sefton park in Liverpool, it were to go into town along the water front as the half marathon does finishing at say Kings Dock with a tweak or 2 thus opening the city cenre roads earlier ?

14/02/2013 at 11:41

Nice one ! Must have the tunnel exit plus drums.....Seems this is almost universally thought to be the DB's. I don't have a huge preference for a finish on the Strand, and Kings Dock would be a compromise worth having. The water front from the prom is still a big draw, and the finish would be running towards the Liver Building, Finishing within sight I think would tick the grandstand finish seekers....What you have to remember though in there's a bloke who sells ice cream by the end of Jericho Lane and the council might object.....

14/02/2013 at 11:53

DH4 - all of this has been considered over the last two years. Keep in mind there is nothing wrong with the course we have in place.

Use of the promenade in the context of a marathon is difficult from a safety perspective as there is restricted vehicle access for first aid. it would also be the last 5 miles of the marathon - notwithstanding the fact that it would be impossible to Jericho Lane for any length of time.

Trust me, whatever you think will work we have already assessed - and it won't work for one reason or another.

14/02/2013 at 12:33

I just find it amazing the short-sightedness to LCC and catering for its waterfront businesses.

Take the event as a whole, inevitably it will inconvenience many, but it will benefit many more

Can you imagine the London Marathon being cancelled because it affected trade in certain areas?

Surely to god the sheer foot traffic of random spectators, never mind family and friends and participants, gives any city's finances a huge shot in the arm when an event of this magnitude takes place.

Frankly ridiculous...

14/02/2013 at 12:59

A confirmed £1.4 million economic benefit to the city identified in the first year. Clearly didn't go into the correct tills as it has largely been overlooked. Seems the suggestion of lost income due to the marathon is only of relevance depending on geographical location.

14/02/2013 at 23:40

Alan, have you thought to re-submit your Plan B at a time when people are in the office to receive it? It's possible that it's not reached the right desk as it was a weekend?

15/02/2013 at 07:55

It has been received. I requested confirmation of receipt on Monday.

16/02/2013 at 00:32
So they can't even claim that then. Fingers crossed, Alan. I for one am still holding off on Chester in hope.
16/02/2013 at 08:53

And STILL no contact from them... staggering... and yet they profess to want to 'work with BTR Liverpool to resolve the matter'. Unbelievable.

16/02/2013 at 09:07
You have the opportunity and good reason to contact them, maybe you should do this. I dare say they will have more pressing issues with this being potentially 8 months away.
17/02/2013 at 21:42

In their eyes it maybe 8 months away, but we as runners need to plan training,maybe around other events we want or need to participate in and book accommodation. That 8 months will soon disappear. Liverpool council need to communicate quickly or this marathon that brings over a million pounds into the economy of Liverpool will be lost. Chester are on a win win with this as it stands.

Alan,  I really do admire your perseverance.

PS I'm hanging back on Chester.

17/02/2013 at 22:40

hang in there Alan, i think u have a lot of support and people can see the hard work that u put in

perhaps u can get a little possey and storm the council building  demand some answers

I still cant believe that there are complaints about loss of trade, were those retailers complaining not in Liverpool for the last 2 marathons!!! I still cant get over the fact that it took us ages to get food as the restaurants were rammed!!! It surely is never that busy on a sat night in October!!!

18/02/2013 at 06:56

Judith, thats precisely the point I'm making, the council see it as a long time away, and they have things more pressing to deal with. To get this moving the onus is on the Organisers to progress this or it will not happen.

18/02/2013 at 06:57

and Mrs 3medals are you coming doing Manchester?

18/02/2013 at 07:15

LIVERPOOL MARATHON CANCELLATION CONFIRMED. Further to my latest proposal to Liverpool City Council which introduced an element of (simple) revision to the use of the waterfront roads AND allowed access to the Liverpool ONE car park I have been advised that LCC is unable to 'accept my offer'.

No explanation, no dialogue or discussion. Just no.

Despite the claims of Mayor Anderson last week that discussion would continue I can confrm that has been none.

Consequently I will launch the 1st Wirral Half Marathon and 10K shortly (to be hosted on marathon day, Sunday 13th October) now that LCC have finally  declined (without explanation) the marathon the running community deserves.

Sorry to one and all but I really couldn't have done any more and I shall prepare a full report about LCC involvement in this event going back to 2006. It will make for compelling reading after which you will wonder how we have any running events in the city. It's an absolute disgrace. 

18/02/2013 at 07:34
That's disappointing, I guess there'll be plenty of support for an alternative local marathon so lets hope it is something that can happen, good luck
18/02/2013 at 08:10
Gutted Alan! I'd got quite excited when I thought it was going to be back on. Thanks for your hard work. I'll be there for the half! I think the council might be getting one or two harshly worded letters about this debacle. Utterly disgusting way of treating people.
18/02/2013 at 08:18

What's particularly reprehensible is the lack of explanation. No dialogue or discussion and yet Mayor Anderson gives the impression that LCC will be making a concerted effort to ensure the race is retained. KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORT.

Or at least be open and honest about the reasons for cancellation.

Personally I don't shop at Liverpool ONE so can't really say I'd boycott the place - not that that would any impact mind!

18/02/2013 at 08:20

Chester's gain this year I think. Polticians change so hopefully so will attitudes in time. Don't give up or let them grind you down.

161 to 180 of 231 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.