Liverpool Marathon MAY 2104

Like a phoenix rising!!

21 to 40 of 46 messages
25/03/2013 at 17:10

Seems that way, but why would that be, was it simply the stance over the route? or was this just an excuse 

cougie    pirate
25/03/2013 at 18:47
I'd not trust the council as far as I can throw them.
May isn't a good month as Alan says. Too close to other big marathons. Could be scorching hot too.
26/03/2013 at 08:01

EKGO - if I told you I would have to kill you... anyway our energies are being focused positively toward our four new events this year - Port Sunlight 10K, Tour of Merseyside (no races in Liverpool), Wirral Half Marathon and a top secret event scheduled for September 22nd.

(The secret event isn't in Liverpool. Can anyone spot the common denominator..?)

There is life beyond the marathon and as Slowfoot said on the other thread... "who cares who puts the marathon on as long as we can run?"

Thanks Slowfoot...

K80
26/03/2013 at 08:49

I hadn't realised that this was a sarcastic thread title - i'm slow wit.

Unless Slowfoot is a mate of yours i don't see why you've taken exception to his comment. How many of us care who has organised an event as long as it's done properly?

26/03/2013 at 09:06

K80 -the fact of the matter is that I care! I take considerable personal pride in the events we deliver which is generally acknowledged but clearly not by everyone. That won't change and neither will my professional attitude toward event delivery and the standards we demand.

Slowfoot isn't a mate.

26/03/2013 at 09:09

Having been an organisers of events, I understand Alan's feelings.

BUT I do agree with K80 and Slowfoot, I never look at who is organising an event when I am considering an entry, I look at where, when,  what and how much

seren nos    pirate
26/03/2013 at 09:11

Alan..from everything I have read and heard you are a good and conscientious race director....

but like the others...i do not enter a race because of a race director......it doesn't matter to me as long as i feel that it is well organised and that i get value for money........

so I also seem strange that on a public forum set up for debate that you take exception at slowfoots comment......

It wasn't anything negative about you or said anything againgst your organisation...

it just stated what most runners think..they enter a race because of the race .not the director......

K80
26/03/2013 at 09:47

Alan,

If I am following these threads correctly you were organisisng a marathon this year that has to be cancelled - issues with the Council? The same Council is now orgainisng a marathon next year.

Firstly you have every right to be aggrieved about having to cancel the 2013 event and I would support your complaint againt the Council 100% - particularly if you have suffered any detriment as a result of that cancellation.

Even though I may not like what they've done I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face and shun it next year.

I wouldn't take it so personally Alan, it's not a reflection on you but the organisation and its officers.

It reminds me of a conversation i had this week with planning officers who recommened a change of use application from shop to cafe, advising Councillors that competion was not a valid reason to refuse. The Councillors rejected it but the poor planning officer will have to deliver the news to the applicant.

Edited: 26/03/2013 at 09:48
26/03/2013 at 10:09
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Having been an organisers of events, I understand Alan's feelings.

BUT I do agree with K80 and Slowfoot, I never look at who is organising an event when I am considering an entry, I look at where, when,  what and how much

I agree with this too.

I look at where the race is, when, how far, and how much it costs to enter, not who is actually doing the organising.

The exception would come if I experienced a very BADLY organised race, then I might avoid that organiser again!

Easy for me to say, but don't take it so personally - runners are only interested in the race.

26/03/2013 at 11:09

I suppose if you have run an event before or have run a different event by the same organiser then you have a good idea what to expect. You may be more tempted to go for it ( or there again less likely.)  So it does make a difference but it is not the main deciding factor. What you get from BTR is good but it does not mean that what you would get from a new organiser would not be.

The problem with a new one would be the level of council involvement. The council has come across as seeing a marathon as something you must suffer rather than something they actually want and there is no saying that a new organiser will come in under strict council terms.

If not a marathon bites the dust which would be a shame.

cougie    pirate
26/03/2013 at 14:14
I'd definitely think twice about entering races that have been badly organised in the past. There's one in London that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

I'd think the vast majority of runners haven't a clue though and only care when things go wrong.
26/03/2013 at 14:26

There is one in Gloucestershire which still has an alarm bell ringing around its title.

26/03/2013 at 17:08

In Alan's defence, I can see why he took that comment the way he did - he puts blood sweat and tears into his events and let's be honest, not all race organisers do, some are bloody abysmal.  If everyone just wanted to "race" and not have the experience of a good event - well, what's the point, just go and set a race up with your mates or only do small club only races.  Marathons especially need to have passionate people behind them, they aren't easy in any which way and a badly managed event can go disastrously wrong (as I experienced at Manchester marathon last year).  You get a company in who only cares about making money and not about the runners, well, we know what can happen.  

26/03/2013 at 18:31

I'll pay for Joe Anderson to run this if that helps.

26/03/2013 at 19:48

I thought that I asked a fair questios as having run around the world apart from the Disney runs and The London marathon I couldn't tell you who orgainsied the runs and frankly I don't care.

Yes I've had badly organised runs I simply don't go back  and the runs that I go back to well they are the ones that I enjoy it doesn't mean I can tell who organised them in the first place. Sorry if my honesty ruffled a feather or two!

26/03/2013 at 19:54
Being a local, most of the events I've ran have been btr/run liverpool events. Each and every one has been very well run and the half marathon last week was excellent. It seems clear to me that LCC are being greedy and forced Alan to drop the 2013 event. Perhaps btr isn't perceived to be fashionable enough. Whatever the reason, btr have been treated disgracefully and for that reason I won't be running in this event.
27/03/2013 at 08:50

I notice no one has mentioned the first round of bidding a few years back.

Winning bidder did one and it was left to local boy AR to put race on and save LCC blushes.

20/08/2013 at 12:43

Am I right in now thinking Liverpool will have a marathon and TWO half marathons next year?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23716419

20/08/2013 at 13:07

Alan - quick slightly related question. How come the Port Sunlinght 10k isnt UKA accredited? Will you be getting this next year. I was just suprised that it didnt count on Run Britain.

Thanks

20/08/2013 at 13:33

Drawing a line under what's happened the last few years, I hope they can make this race a success.

a few years ago I emailed Alan tongue in cheek offering to plan a "decent" route round Liverpool taking in the Carhedrals and the Football ground at Anfield etc, and he took it in good part and pointed out the restrictions and costs involved from the council.

perhaps this time they'll get the course the city deserves rather than a compromise imposed by the council.

The Fat Controller of the Council says he going to run it too, highly unlikely!

21 to 40 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.