Llanelli parkrun

Just mooting the possibility of getting one together

21 to 40 of 131 messages
26/10/2010 at 09:38

Mattoo - have you thought about the 5k route they used for the Fusion 5k series this year?

Started at the leisure centre, then ran over the bridge, past Sandy water park & then a further 2km along the seafront towards Burry port. Plenty of parking, with changing facilities etc in the leisure centre, only a couple of minor undulations too.

i'd definitely take part any weekend I'm free - would they be held in the morning? The prom can get v busy with cyclists after about 10am.

I'll certainly mention this at my club, and have contacts at Swansea H. 

good luck with organising this Mattoo

01/11/2010 at 20:42
Hope things are moving along
17/11/2010 at 20:32

Any news Mattoo?

17/11/2010 at 21:14

As I was in Ashford for the weekend, I was going to do  the Whitstable run last Saturday but my lazy lot didn't get up until 10 to take over looking after "my baby".

I live in hope that this Llanelli run will come to fruition.

18/11/2010 at 08:21

Hello - yes this thread has gone a bit quiet. Running Kev - sorry to be nosey, but I think I remember you from the Welsh marathon forum last year? Hope the running is going well. Are you a member of 3M's?

Would be nice to see this next year. I think the nearest parkrun otherwise would be Cardiff?

18/11/2010 at 18:57
Hi LTS - I think Cardiff is the only Wales based Parkrun isn't it? Something like an 80 to 90 mile round trip for me hence I've only managed it a couple of times. Something at the waterfront in Llanelli would be good, especially in the warmer months, I think. Opens up Parkrun for a lot of West Wales potentially.
19/11/2010 at 17:41
Hi LTS. Unfortunately all the running clubs start to early for me (I commute from Llanelli to Cardiff most days) so don't get home much before 7 pm
22/11/2010 at 17:10

Yes Cardiff is the only parkrun in Wales, we started in February 2008 and I thought there would have been some more by now. There have been a few enquiries from the Swansea area but nothing has happened, there was also a tentative approach from North Wales but again nothing.

If you can get it up and running it is a great event, from Cardiff's point of view, the 2 Clubs that have really got behind the event have seen their membership increase as a direct result. We started of with 56 back in Feb 08, then on our 1st Anniversary we broke the hundred, we now regularly have over 200 with our biggest number being 258.

03/12/2010 at 17:52
Any further developements?
27/12/2010 at 21:26
Boing!!!!!
03/01/2011 at 15:02

Kev et al.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but am very busy at the moment. I am still really keen for this to happen and am in touch with the parkrun people but there is  no way I will properly start the wheels in motion now before the end of April as am currently in the process of organising a track marathon in Llanelli on April 2nd and the 'Born to Run' charity night on February 19th, all as part of my 3 marathons in three weekends charity crusade, obviously this is on top of full time work commitments and 3 young children. Sorry if this disappoints anyone but I like to be able to give things my full attention, I am happy to pass the reins to someone else if they want to get it kickstarted sooner.

If any of you are Llanelli people maybe you want to consider the charity night, Rosie Swales Pope is guest speaker and it will be a good event. You may have heard it advertised locally. If your on facebook details can be found here, if not feel free to message me for more information or to purchase tickets.

Thanks for your patience.

Matt

http://mattrogrunningamarathon.blogspot.com/

http://www.justgiving.com/Matt-Rogersonchildstrust

http://www.justgiving.com/Matt-Rogersonphab

Edited: 03/01/2011 at 15:12
03/01/2011 at 15:20

Hi Matt,

Good to hear from you and of the activities you are up to - best of luck and please keep us updated 

A Park Run in Llanelli is a great idea but there is no rush and people will wait I'm sure, it's positive news alone that you've started the process.

Let us know when you are ready and I'll be available to help as you need.

Regards

Kev

03/01/2011 at 17:07

Cheers Kev, you should definitely come to the charity night  and probably run my track marathon too

You doing any of the HBA events this year?

03/01/2011 at 22:00

Hi Matt,

It's my Wife's Birthday that night and as she is a non-runner, does not share my enthusiasm for a night out at Felinfoel Rugby Club - I will work on her!

I was hoping to do the HM but for various reasons / excuses training has not gone well so may do the St. Davids Day Cardiff 10k that day instead.

Will be doing the Waterside 10k and Tayo 5k hopefully.

05/01/2011 at 19:24

Plenty of time to be ready for HM Kev? You know what is best for you though.

Regards your wifes birthday let her know is not all about running apart from the talk from Rosie Pope which I'm sure will be inspirational for runners and non-runners alike. Live music, disco, yours truly as a compere, raffle, auction and hog roast or finger buffet for food too.....Would be good to put a face to the name. Was it you I mistook for a friend and abused out training last year?

05/01/2011 at 20:27
Not that I remember Matt - but I get abused a lot!
05/01/2011 at 21:00

I remember now having checked back, was Jonathon Walters

02/02/2011 at 17:48

Hi all, I thin ka parkrun in Llanelli would be brilliant, I had just this week been racking my brains trying to think of a route in carmarthen but I had drawn a blank so Llanelli for me would be next best thing!

I would be willing to help out occasionally (4 children and husband permitting) but would love to run them occasionally too!  I'm doing the Half in Llanelli in March anyway!

Good lluck with the charity night mattoo.....i had the privilege of running a short distance with Rosie Swales last year in the Rhyader 20 mile race,.....she is so totally inspriational and a really lovely woman, you'll have a great time!!!

If you need any help at all in setting the parkrun up I would be more than willing to assist!

24/03/2011 at 19:43
Andrea we will look into this post April. I just need to know that I wont have to be there every week really because that would be impossible
24/03/2011 at 20:53
Matt - I will probably be able to be there every other week as an average and am willing to help with the setting up as much or as litlle as you want.
21 to 40 of 131 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.