Loch Ness Marathon 2012

201 to 220 of 453 messages
02/09/2012 at 15:06

Managed 16.5 miles, and still got back in time for a shower before the F1 started. Happy with my run- started out at a conservative pace, then at half way, picked it up a little, and for the last 5km, ran at race pace- can't usually mamange that at the end of a long run, but I felt better than usual- hopefully that means that I'm nearly recovered from my ultra ( just read a book saying it take 6 months to recover!), and am getting fit to race again.

02/09/2012 at 20:36
Thanks Tricia I will take your advice and begin my taper now ... I'll do around 14 miles on this weeks LSR instead of the 20!
Looks like your Ultra hasn't set you back much and shows you can't always belive what you read in books

going to bombard my friends, family and workmates over the next few weeks for sponsorship because surely they should stick a couple of quid on me to complete it ... I wonder if I will be 1 of the heaviest runners that day @ 110kgs I reckon I'm going to be near the top!!
02/09/2012 at 22:16

Well done everyone, especially you SNB that it amazing, I feel so proud of you and I don't even really know you, just reading how hard you have worked, you really are an inspiration.

Triciallit- thankyou for your advice. I have read some of your posts on the ultra forum (I am deciding if next year I may take on the wall, see how I get on with this mara first) Can't believe you are doing  LN after a 40 miler, totally amazing. 

John- enjoy the rest, you have certainly earned it. The only one of us to actually go through a pair of trainers during the training alone !!

02/09/2012 at 22:34

MSTH-- Enjoying the rest already!! 4 miller on the hills in the morning. Get those new trainers broken in asap!! I just love my new ASICS (how sad is that)

Been inspired by everybody on here - we all have to remember that we are in an elite band of people - less thann 0.1% of the world's population have completed more than 1 marathon. It is a real test of character to say the least. And as far those who have done an ultra - well that deserves total respect.

Have eaten  like a pig today - wife's famouus bacon and egg barm for lunch and chinese takeaway for tea followed by the even more famous wife's victoria sponge with a butter cream/flake toppimg yummie!! All gone I'm afraid so can't send any samples!!

Happy training!!

03/09/2012 at 14:22

Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've checked into the forum (not since mid-June!), so I thought I should catch up with everyone. I've still been doing the training though so I'm really looking forward to this race. My longest run so far has been 24 miles, but this coming Sunday I've entered the Bacchus wine tasting marathon to run as my final LSR. Possibly a really stupid thing to do, but it's my birthday so I'm going to try to taste every wine and (more importantly) to run slowly despite the fact it's a race. It should be an interesting experiment to say the least!

I'd love to hear more about the 40 miler. Which one was it (I may have missed that bit whilst scanning through the thread)? I'm thinking about signing up for an ultra next year as LN will be my sixth marathon and I'm not sure that I'll be getting any faster after this (still hoping for a PB this time).

Only four weeks to go so I'll check in a bit more regularly from now on!

Hope everyone's final LSRs go well!

03/09/2012 at 17:05

Hi everybody,

I'm doing this and am really looking forward to it (not so sure about the early bus journey and the hill at 18 though).

I did the Moray marathon yesterday - didn't run my best time, but it was a really well organised and enjoyable race. I'm hoping to do better on the 30th.

Everybody seems to be working really hard here - keep it up, not long to go now!

03/09/2012 at 20:02

Is there going to be a get together on the Saturday before the event?

04/09/2012 at 10:33

I'm down for running this but wondering whether to do it or not, I did the Hadrian's wall Ultra run in June and have been injured on and off since then (lesson learned) I have not run much and will try the English Half Marathon on Sunday to see what it feels like, but here's hoping.

04/09/2012 at 11:45
MSTH thanks for the comment and I'm glad you and all the others have helped me on my way
EotN I'm up early on the sat so I'll prob be hanging about somewhere

The thread starting to look busier now which is encouraging too

Happy Training
04/09/2012 at 14:24

Eli - I'm making a weekend of it with my family so will be chilling with them on Saturday evening. But hopefully I'll get a chance to chat to some fellow runners either when registering or on the bus to the start.

04/09/2012 at 21:39

Well if there is a group getting together at any point, let me know... I'm making a weekend of it too but I'll be on my own....Well I'll bring my MTB so it will keep me company getting out a little... nothing much just local places and leisurely biking soaking in the scenery.

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 21:39
04/09/2012 at 21:52
I was gonna ale a bike but am going by train now
04/09/2012 at 22:07
Well I'm heading up alone too - just going to take in the atmosphere but willing to meet up with some fellow posters if you are meeting up somewhere
04/09/2012 at 22:11

Well I'm going by train and bringing my bike along

I dont know anything about Inverness, never been there before. Furthest I've been is Loch Lomond and I absolutely loved it. If there are people who want to meet up, maybe at the registration place somewhere would be good? Could head out for drinks or something to eat afterwards?

04/09/2012 at 22:19
I must check on the bike then, I've an injury so will only really know if I'm running depending on how it feels the day before, I'll be there for the weekend so the bike will be good if I can take it with me.
04/09/2012 at 22:23

what injury have you got?

04/09/2012 at 22:27
Adductor strain, had x rays initially for hip damage and some good some bad days
04/09/2012 at 22:30

EG Graham, oh no whats happened?

Would love to meet up but we fly in on the sat and home again afterwards on sunday.

Managed 3 miles tonight, pain free so will try 6 tomorrow. Ran out of sunshine so did my first night run in months.

04/09/2012 at 22:32
Trying a half on Sunday, kill or cure I guess
04/09/2012 at 22:35

I swear by arnica! And sports massage! Find a good therapist and you will be fine!

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 22:35
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.