Loch Ness Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 273 messages
19/11/2012 at 21:33
Hi MR2
I'm planning on the Glasgow half the beginning of September as part of my training, I'm sure 2 weeks before the race you do long run, 20 miles or so. Hopefully someone with more experience will keep us on track!
20/11/2012 at 20:37
Thanks for the reply Big Mama, I can understand that you can use a half marathon as a training run for a full marathon, but running the full marathon prior to a half marathon does concern me.
20/11/2012 at 22:46

MR2, I did Brighton marathon last year followed by London the week after and did the 2nd one 6 mins faster. I don't run that fast but I reckon if you are doing lots of long runs in the run up to Loch Ness, you will be recovering quicker. That's my theory anyway lol! I find that I recover quicker after long runs once I start doing more. But doing a half a few weeks after a full marathon is something I would probably do

Next year I am doing one on Good Friday (29th March) and then Brighton and London again so that'll be 3 in just over 4 weeks.

21/11/2012 at 06:11

I've been really wanting to do this as my first marathon for a while now but I'm not 100% sure I'm going to make it up there in September. I live in Gloucestershire, so it's a long way. We try to get up to Scotland every year and were planning a family holiday in the area but that may not happen now so, can anyone tell me how quickly this race fills up? I will probably make the effort to get up there and do it - even if I have to go on my own, but would like to leave entering until I definitely know I can make it.

Thanks.

21/11/2012 at 17:17

I have signed up for Loch Ness, not been running since Feb this year because of a torn cartilage , thinking I will run or hobble this race bad knee or not

21/11/2012 at 20:21

Join the 'getting back to it' club russell

MattDA - not sure how quickly it fills up but its becoming more and popular as years go by. I'll be travelling up from London Its well worth the journey though

22/11/2012 at 16:23

Hi MattDA

I kept my eye on it this year and you could still register up to the closing date.

26/11/2012 at 12:08

Went out this morning and was terrible, kept stopping, getting really annoyed with myself.  Thinking of taking the ipod tomorrow instead of looking at a stop watch to see how long Ive run and just go with the flow.

29/11/2012 at 23:06

How did it go Big Mama?

I am up to 4m without walking now My running has started to come together at last although its still slow. Plenty of time to worry about speed although my next marathon is on 29th March lol! Had a follow up appointment at the hospital this afternoon and everything is looking good

30/11/2012 at 10:22

Glad to hear all is well with you  I ran 2 miles without stopping which seems huge to me just now, I have the Santa Dash next Sunday so that should be fun. Yikes your marathon will be here before you know it.  I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew but time will tell.  Going out with my ipod seems to do the trick, Im not timing myself at all, just tuning into the music.

30/11/2012 at 18:44

Do you know roughly when it fills up?? How long have I got to decide? It's a long way for me to travel, & I want to arrange to do something else up there too.....but won't know for a while if this is possible.....So didn't want to enter this just yet!

30/11/2012 at 20:33

PJ closing date for entries for this years event was July.

It was my first marathon and although i didnt get the time i was hoping for i can thoroughly reccomend it,and plan on doing it again next year

30/11/2012 at 21:30

Think it will fill up before Feb?????

I do fancy it......But with Ladybower 50 the Sunday before, & a mad kayak trip to try & fit in inbetween, it's looking a bit crazy.... 

01/12/2012 at 16:36

Have now entered, do I drive up from south Wales or fly!

02/12/2012 at 10:18

It looks like I put my entries in in feb in previous years, and had no bother- the thing that fills up first is the accomodation, I think.

As far as doing a race 3 weeks later- how long is great brimingham run? if it's a 10 miler, you might be OK, anything much longer might be a struggle. It varies, and I've improved as I've done more marathons, but I do find it hard to run far for a couple of weeks- but saying that. I did a 33mile race 5 weeks after LN last year! You need to decide which one is you "A" race, and which one is the less vital, and plan to jog round the less vital one as a trainig/ recovery race- it will be fine- what you can't do is aim to push yourself to the limit both times.

03/12/2012 at 08:46

Can any of you help?  I have sore knees, do I rest or push through?

Im doing a 5k on Sunday and really want to take part.  Also how do you manage running in the snow?

Thanks

03/12/2012 at 11:48

BM - check that your shoes are ok. Sometimes if they are starting to wear out, that can have an effect on your knees.

03/12/2012 at 11:53

New trainers, think its been my fitness DVD's   Loads of squats and its taking its toll on my knees!

06/12/2012 at 02:22

Accomodation will never be a problem....Kip in car or wild camp! 

06/12/2012 at 15:34

I've managed to book into Wetherspoons

21 to 40 of 273 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.