London marathon 2013

Any possible way of getting a place but can't raise £2000

21 to 26 of 26 messages
Bedders..    pirate
21/10/2012 at 11:14

Do one of the following to increase your chances or run one of the other many superb marathons that exist.

• Join a running club
  • Run for a charity
  • Keep applying in the ballot. 

If you are "desperate" you will find a charity like the majority on here have done.

21/10/2012 at 16:48

If you look through the just giving website it has a huge list of charities still with places, pledge cost between 1200-2500. There are a couple that guarentee you a spot pretty much straight away rather than tell you in a couple of weeks. One example is APEC ... 250 deposit, 1500 pledge (reduced to 1000 I think if you raise it decemeber I think.)

http://www.justgiving.com/en/marathon-places

get some mass emails out. 

30/10/2012 at 16:08

Hi

I thought I'd enter the conversation from the point of view of  one of those small charities which ask for lower fundraising targets. The cost per place to the charities is quite high, so therefore we have to try to get the best return on our investment in order to provide the best services to our clients.

However as we are quite small and we recognise the challenges of raising sponsorship (though many of our runners have exceeded their own expectations in the past) with golden bond places we are asking that our runners pledge to raise a minimum of £1250 for The Rainbow Centre for Children. We ask for a £100 deposit upfront to secure the place but we refund this once the fundraising target is reached.

As a small organisation that provides free therapeutic support to children and their families affected by bereavement and life threatening illness, I can honestly say that the money raised by our Rainbow Runners will make a real difference to our work. If we are successful in recruiting 5 runners who each raise us £1250, this should provide us sufficient funds to provide 208 therapy sessions at the Centre or the equivalent of supporting 12 children or their parents through all their therapy. These funds are potentially 2% of our income for this financial year so it does make a significant difference.

In the time that it takes you to read this post, a family’s life could have changed forever – they may have received a diagnosis of a terminal illness or received tragic the news that a loved one has died. This is where The Rainbow Centre for Children comes in. We support children and their families from Bristol and the surrounding area including Somerset, South Wales and Gloucestershire. We help families deal with the pain, grief, anger and sadness that can be caused by the death of a child or parent or their life threatening illness and the impact that has on individual family members as well as the family as a whole. Families come to us not only because someone has died from an illness but also as a result of road traffic accidents, suicide or murder. We offer art and music therapy to children, as these non-verbal therapies are a valuable means of expressing emotions when words simply can’t be found, counselling to older children and adults, and massage therapy to help relieve both the side effects of conventional medicine, or the physical symptoms of grief or simply to keep a carer healthy so they have the strength to continue to look after their loved ones. Each therapy session lasts for 50 minutes, and the children or their parents / carers come at the same time each week so they build up a relationship and trust with our therapists. All the therapy we provide is free of charge and we support families for as long as they need our help. Each therapy session costs The Rainbow Centre £30 a session and we rely entirely on voluntary donations for our existence.

On a personal note as someone who is an erratic and very slow runner, I have entered and ran the last 3 Bath Half Marathons on behalf of my charity so I do understand the challenges in raising the sponsorship required. However it was the knowledge that my friends and colleagues had shown faith in me by sponsoring me to run that gave me the motivation to train through the winter months and run the whole distance on the day.

If anyone is interested in our Golden Bond places you can apply online at our website http://www.rainbowcentre.org.uk/#/vlm-13-sign-up/4570408429

30/10/2012 at 19:13

hope you get some uptake Rainbow Centre, thats an achievable amount to raise too, i ran the London marathon last year Craig and did it for the Down's Heart Group and had to raise £1500, I too found that they were with me every step of the way with the director giving me a big hug on mile 4 and making me cry with emotion then for the next 2 miles!!! and she met me at the end too, which was fabulous

Regarding the ballot, i believe when Flora were sponsoring it, they had the rule that if you enter the ballot 5 times and got rejected you got a place automatically for the 6th attempt ( wish that were still the case I suspect for alot of runners who have been rejected on here ) but now Virgin have taken over sponsoring that is sadly not the case anymore

My club rules are that you have to have been a member for a minimum of 12mths before you can enter  the club ballot, I wont be entering it as i have run it and feel that it would be nicer to give the chance to other people to run it

Good luck and perhaps  you can update us once you have found  your place to run

01/11/2012 at 16:22

London seems to be mainly a charity event these days & it's become harder & harder to get a place unless you go down this route.After getting fed up with the annual rejection i entered Paris & personally found it as good as London if not better, nicer course & it felt more of a runner's event.Booked with Eurostar on a package deal & really enjoyed it.London is still a good race but for me it's become far too gimmicky & some of the appeal has now sadly gone, i first ran London in the 80's & Paris reminded me of how London used to be.Good luck to anyone who can raise the amounts charities want for a place & it's great that the charities benefit but i just think it puts added pressure on the runner which for me running is not about.

01/11/2012 at 16:36

In your original post you said that you were willing to pay for it - how much? I know someone on here was talking about the feasibility of doing a direct debit each month to cover the cost of the place e.g. 1500 GBP. How about that?

I also appreciate how difficult it is to find a 'reasonable' charity place but there are some out there.

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 16:37

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.