Lucca Marathon

1st Running of this Marathon

8 messages
20/02/2009 at 22:13

Hi All, Just thought I would add this event for you.

Sunday 25th October is the 1st ever Lucca Marathon !

It's a beautiful walled city just a few miles from Pisa where RyanAir and BA fly all the time for little cost!

We ran Pisa Marathon (May) last year and had a great time, we visited Lucca after the run and fell in love so arranged to go back for the race.

The only thing that will slow you down is looking at the beautiful scenery.

http://www.luccamarathon.it/

Take a look and if you do it I'm sure you will be buying me a glass of wine at the end rather than pouring it over my head

21/02/2009 at 11:17

Hhmmmm. Husband's Italian half of his family came from Lucca. Can't do it this year, but next year is do-able...and it coincides with half term.

<adds to list of possibles>

21/02/2009 at 15:50
Sounds like just the excuse for an Italian Jog (big pun) yep I have done Turin too  I just love to run in Italy.
27/02/2009 at 18:59

Hotels in Lucca are booking up so you need to think about this Marathon soon if you are interested.

27/05/2009 at 15:43
You can now book hotels via the Event Website !
27/05/2009 at 20:07
It's on my list for next year. Assuming I survive my first mara in October that is.
29/10/2009 at 22:35
<div align="left">Chris and Catherine were invited to take part in the 1st Lucca Marathon by our friend Alfredo Petroni - the President of the Marathon. Together with his team Alfredo has broken all records with this race!! For a first run having 950 Marathon runners and 3,000 5k runners is magnificent, the previous record for a first time Italian Marathon was 400 runners. As a very experienced runner with all areas were well covered and the event team and race marshalls were as near to perfect as you will ever see.<div align="left">We flew from Stansted with RyanAir as BA had let us down. When we got to Pisa we hopped on the bus for Lucca and enjoyed the beautiful views.<div align="left">Registration was in the middle of Lucca and was easy to find. We go numbers, T-Shirts and met Alfredo again which was followed by being whisked off for wine tasting.<div align="left">We stayed at the La Luna 3 star hotel on Via Fillungo this was an excellent hotel that I rate very highly, the staff were excellent. We had a few good meals out but by far the best was at Vecchia Trattoria Buralli this was the best food we have ever had in Italy so not to be missed and Catherine from Glasgow was a great host.<div align="left">The race...<div align="left">The Marathon started at 9am, sounds early but it was just 10 min walk from our hotel or indeed anywhere inside the city walls. I was tired from last weeks Marathon but was really up for enjoying this race, I started well and was cheared on at the start and 4k by Alfredo. After 5k on the city walls the course dropped into the city then away into the green and beautiful countryside. The course is as near flat as you get and had some great views. I went well at the starts with lots of 7:40 min/mile finishing the 1st half in 1:41 but the wheels came off in the second half and the 28deg heat took its toll. Back into the city with 3k to go and I finished in 3:55:55 so very slow but also very happy to have taken part in such a friendly fun Marathon, I will wear my T-Shirt, Cap and Medal with pride. I met some great people on the race and was cheered on by the people we met at the expo.<div align="left">Catherine ran the 5k race and despite a few people going the wrong way due to starting early? she really enjoyed the run and the course and wears her medal and t-shirt with pride.<div align="left">Unbeliveable to think that this was a first race by this team, very well done we loved it and will be back.
30/10/2009 at 10:58

I have put Lucca in the diary for 2010.

Chris, if you like Italian marathons take a look at this one.

http://www.verdimarathon.it/

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.