Luton Marathon

21 to 40 of 315 messages
17/06/2010 at 06:42

The good thing about laps is the opportunity to still take part if a problem arises and I'm not up to full marathon fitness.  I did a lap at Stratford to complete a half-marathon, so i didn't feel as gutted that I was forced to withdraw from the full marathon.

29/06/2010 at 22:42
I've signed up for this along with a couple of other of our club runners and friends.  Looking forward to it and will use the training to put towards the Brighton marathon next year. 
30/06/2010 at 17:23

its a tough course-3 laps can be mind blowing especially if you run past your car each time and the relay runners skip past you cheerfully

It can also blow a gale when you reach the Streatly turn and the hills do get tougher each lap

That said you wont find many marathons in December so it focuses the mind in Oct-Nov with the training

Have fun if you enter-i said I never will again but that was a few years ago and I have just treated myself to new running shoes so I'm feeling up for up

Now where is that debit card?

02/07/2010 at 16:09

I have just entered for this race. Will be my first Marathon, and act as preparation for London next year...

Read all the debate about laps. I have never run a race with laps before, and think it will probably be mentally draining doing 3 laps... but atleast i will know when the finish line is coming up on the final lap

10/08/2010 at 05:56

im thinking of giving this one a go.

do you get a medal for this or just some dodgy old tee-shirt.

10/08/2010 at 12:51

Did this in 2009. 

PB potential if there is not much wind. Only significant climb is at around 21 miles on the final lap. 3 laps means that you can have your support crew handing out bottles and gels as you pass the finish area. Sections through the housing estate and past the shops are not ideal. No support out on the course. Large sports hall at the end to recover in, but results weren't available.

10/08/2010 at 14:05
Alpha - reasonable medal - although for some reason they werent giving them out at end but back at Race HQ
19/08/2010 at 15:03

Have just entered this one  need to book a cheap place to stay next...any recommendations?? I suppose I should look at Premier Inn etc

My hubby Jon will be unable to do the full distance but definately up for doing a lap in the relay if there are any other like minded folk needing to make up a team  

..aslong as they're not speed pb chasers

23/08/2010 at 12:38

I've just entered - this'll be my first marathon, so slightly nervous.

Lots of training required!

27/08/2010 at 21:01
i'm planning on doing this bit concerned about the 5 hour limit having never run one before and if I have  bad day may be an issue.
31/08/2010 at 14:00
Just entered this. Bad day here last year. Coming back to settle the score
15/09/2010 at 17:31
I am considering entering this but little tentative about the 5 hour limit. I ran my first M this year at Brighton and ran in 5 hours 7, bit worried if I dont finish in time....anyone know how strict they are if you are a few mins out?
15/09/2010 at 21:15

Hi Michelle,

Just been sent an e-mail by someone who has contacted the organisers-they are not strict.

21/09/2010 at 08:42

Hey all - I've just signed up for this too.  I'm doing Abingdon in just under 4 weeks but my training hasn't been as good as I wanted so I'm giving myself a second bite of the sub 4 hour cherry by entering Luton too!

Mind you, having read the posts, I'm not sure it's a PB kinda course.  However, I regularly train on hills so hopefully the slopes won't kill me.  If I don't feel up to doing the sub 4 hour, I might just don some christmassy fancy dress and just have a laugh instead!

Michelle, I wouldn't worry, if you've made it that close to the end in around 5 hours, they aren't gonna stop you running I'm sure!  In any case, it's on public roads so I guess you could just keep on going regardless!

Hope to hear from everyone soon as to how their training is going etc.

K.P
21/09/2010 at 09:34

Hi all,

I've entered this one too.  I went to school in Leighton Buzzard but moved away 10 years ago so thought it was about time I gave this one a go.  I did my first lap course marathon at Boddington earlier this year, which I think was 11 or 12 laps.  I did have some worries before hand that I'd find it a struggle, but it turned out to be my most even paced marathon to date, knowing what was coming up seemed to make it easier to stay at a constant speed.

Good luck with your sub-4 attempts Brookie.  I finally broke the 4 hour mark at the Robin Hood marathon last weekend, making it in 3:59, and it felt great.  Hopefully I'll lower this a bit more at Luton, but I've got Leicester, Dublin and Newcastle before then, so not too sure what my target will be yet. If all goes to plan Luton will be my 10th marathon this year so I think that's the main aim really.

Hope everyone has a good week.

21/09/2010 at 12:58

I did Luton last year and got a surprise PB. Torrential rain ceased just pre-start thankfully. Course is mixed, starting in suburban Luton, up a stretch of  A5 (which is tough the 3rd time) then a gentle-ish climb along some lanes and back down into suburbia again. I struck up an unusual rapour with the marshalls and thoroughly enjoyed knowing just what was coming on the 2nd and 3rd laps. Hopefully go fast again this year (there, I've said it, now I'll be struck down with some innocuously spiteful ailment on the 25th November!!)

Good Luck to all.

22/09/2010 at 11:30

Wow 10 marathons in a year KP - that's hardcore!  And you stayed injury free? very impressive.

Luton will be my 13th marathon - best get that number out of the way quick I reckon!  Kipper - that's encouraging that you did a PB at Luton - maybe I'll be alright after all.

Run last night not great - felt very heavy and slow - I think I'm fighting off some kind of virus - still, better now that in late November!

23/09/2010 at 19:50
just entered....have just recovered from the two2go marathon in Hackney earlier ths month, will keep me motivated ahead of the christmas over indulgence.Will be my 3rd marathon, never done multi laps before so have read the previous posts with interest
23/09/2010 at 20:16
I'm gonna do the full mara and hubby (Jon) is gonna run the relay with eldest daughter and her boyfriend
24/09/2010 at 08:09
......I think its keeping pace with the relayers that can make this a 'handy' course for PBing.......clearly tho, this plan has a massive flaw, as the relayers do just do the ONE lap
21 to 40 of 315 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.