Luton Marathon

81 to 100 of 315 messages
K.P
04/11/2010 at 20:55

Hi all,

I got my pack yesterday too, must be a sign it's getting closer.  Glad your training is going well Wharfy, enjoy your rest this weekend.  Hope your leg pain has eased KMJ, how was your massage?

I'm aiming for about 15miles this Saturday, then a long cycle ride on Sunday.  Hope everyone else is going well.

KMJ
05/11/2010 at 11:41

Got my pack too, it'll be marathon time in no time! heh

Thanks KP, my massage was great, she worked on the area that was troubling me and I've run since then with no pain. It means that I missed out on a long run for this week but will do another next week and I've already done a few, so here's hoping it'll be okay on the day.

07/11/2010 at 16:49
had a good LSR today, had a difficult 10 days with a dodgy back but seems to be ok, which is a huge relief hope all training or races went well for everyone this weekend.had a look at next year for some potential marathons and there is quite a few already , has anyone ever tried the the one round Lake Windermere? sounds great.
08/11/2010 at 08:44

Hi,

Aimed for 17m this Saturday but Mrs W had slightly pulled a muscle in the gym on Fri and pulled out after 4.5 miles.  I made up slightly by running an extra 3m (all up a big hill) but not what was planned !  Try again next weekend.

PJ - Windermere is good but tough.  Undulating for first half, the next quarter is pretty nasty hills, last quarter quite a lot is fairly flat but a bit of a killer in the middle (mile 22 or so I think).  Scenery good and I would do it again.

08/11/2010 at 18:50
cheers wharfy...think i will enter as have never been there, so feel a short holiday coming,good luck next week with the training
12/11/2010 at 12:36

Anyone got any good training planned for this weekend ?

Unlikely for us - Mrs W still suffering so will probably hold last long run to next w/end.

K.P
12/11/2010 at 17:31

Hi all,

Glad your massage seems to have done the trick KMJ, hope you're still running without any problems?  I've never tried a sports massage, maybe one day.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  I'm going for 18 miles on Saturday and another long cycle on Sunday.  Got the Newcastle Town Moor marathon next Sunday and then a 2 week mini taper before this.  My training was a bit disrupted this week as I had to go to Coventry in mid-week for work, but managed to fit some shorter quicker runs in.

Sorry to hear Mrs W is still suffering Wharfy, hope she recovers soon.  Have a good weekend all. 

17/11/2010 at 23:16

Hi

I missed out on this last year and had put up with traveling to Lisbon for a  December marathon  so entered early, received my pack the other day so all is good. 

Hope every one's training is going well and staying injury free.

18/11/2010 at 14:37
Is there anyone out there who has a spot in this marathon, but not longer intends to run.  I'm really keen to race, but missed the entry.  Happy to pay all entry fees etc.  Rik Vercoe (rikvercoe@listening.co.uk)
19/11/2010 at 20:12
Hi All, late joiner to this thread. Am off for last long run tomorrow, 18miler planned and hoping the leg injury which has blighted running over the last year holds out. My training has been pants, only been doing about 27 miles a week so its not going to be pretty  Have run lots of marathons but this is my first one in December and first 3 lapper also, gonna be a mental challange and a half I recken!
K.P
19/11/2010 at 20:23

Hi all,

Hope everyone has had a good week?  Hi Laura, I'm sure you'll be fine on the day.  I've never done a December marathon before either, looking forward to it.  I did my first lap marathon earlier this year and really enjoyed it, I found it made it easier to pace.  I'm doing the Newcastle Town Moor Marathon on Sunday as my final long run.  Hoping to add a couple of miles on to it as a training run for the Gloucester 50km in January.  It'll be the first time I've ever run more than a marathon so might be interesting on Monday morning!

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

19/11/2010 at 21:34

Hi Laura sorry to hear training hasn't gone to plan but pleased your getting through it. I'm sure you will be OK on the day with 27m / week in training. I don't do do that much and seem to get away with it.

KP  if I don't see you at this one might see you at Gloucester, good luck with the marathon on Sunday

I've not run since last Saturday but have a10k cross country on Sat and Cornish marathon on Sunday.

Edited: 19/11/2010 at 21:34
19/11/2010 at 21:46
wow, Woody and KP sounds like you are really regular marathon runners by the sounds of it, this one will be number 10 for me but tend to do just the one or possibly 2 a year, looks like I will be surrounded by hard core marathoners (well I will probably be behind you)!
20/11/2010 at 17:37

well, 17.5 miles done this morning, bit of a shambles as was only my second run this week and just haven't got enough volume/strength miles in the tank for this marathon. It was also fairly horrendous when I finished knowing that this would be about the point that lap 3 starts in Luton! but feel pleased it is over and it means I can have a guilt free lie in tomorrow and a few glasses of wine this eve

Hope all is going well for you all!

21/11/2010 at 14:41

Does anyone know if it's cups or bottles at the water stations?

Last LSR of the campaign today with a 22 miler, not feeling very well prepared for the mara at all so the 5th should be interesting. Hope everyone's remained injury free and enjoy the taper!

21/11/2010 at 19:23
RikVercoe - think still accepting relay entries and organiser has posted that relay can be one person doing all 3 laps so you could still enter this way I think

Tom20 - looked on the event website forum and think it said cups of water - also hi5 drinks - not sure if bottles for these though

Last LSR for me today - 20miles and felt like I'd run 26 - legs were tired though so probably ok after a couple of weeks taper.

All the hard works done all - enjoy the rest

K.P
21/11/2010 at 20:39

Hi all,

Laura, I'm not that far ahead of you.  Today was my 18th marathon.  I generally did 2 or 3 a year until this year when I went a bit mad.  I've got 2 more to go, which will bring me to 20.  I've decided to go for 100 so need to throw a few more in as and when I can.  Well done on your 17.5 today.  I'm sure if you keep to a steady pace you'll be fine on the 5th.  Hope you're enjoying your wine!

Woody, how did your cross country and the Cornish go? 

Well done on your long runs Tom and Juggling Junky, and enjoy your taper.

I enjoyed the Newcastle Town Moor marathon but found it tough going today and had to grind it out in the end.  I started off with a 1.5 mile warm-up and intended to add the same on the end to get just over 29 miles, however, once I crossed the finish line that was it!  I'll have to remember that for future reference and add all of the extra at the start.  It was pretty cold out and I just plodded round.  Still, it's the furthest I've ever run, the volunteers were fantastic and it was a good training run, next up Luton. 

Hope you all have a good week.

21/11/2010 at 21:44
Hi All, 3 lapper at Luton is good for the mind. Have done it 4 times and can describe the course in my sleep, as also run a lot of it as I work in Luton. Thing to remember, is that you break it down in your mind into 3 specific laps and you dont think about the distance.
Any marathoner should be able to knock out 8 3/4 odd miles, which is one lap. You will knock off the first lap really without thinking about it, push yourself around the second lap thinking your not far from starting the final lap and then you are on the final lap. Thinking about the third one as the final lap really helps me to break it down. Just a little tip that works for me that might work for others.
21/11/2010 at 22:48
not long now
22/11/2010 at 11:59

KP, it'll be my 21st!

First time running this one. Fancied 3 fairly flat laps to normal cross country south or north downs routes I tend to choose. Was planning on a good time but in reality have not been running much more than 10-15 miles a week since Beachy Head last month and now have horrid chesty cough and cold to contend with - at least I'll be well tapered and will aim for 3.50-4.10. 3 laps should help with pacing at least...

As to comments on cold, sleet forecast for end of this week and I can't imagine much improvement before race day so will be wrapping up warm - have run Doyen of Downs twice in December before so undaunted whatever the weather throws at us!

81 to 100 of 315 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.