Luton Marathon

1 to 20 of 315 messages
01/05/2010 at 16:17
Anybody done this one?  
01/05/2010 at 16:26
No but thinking about it this year. Maybe
03/05/2010 at 18:16

It's a local run for me, so I'm going to have a crack at it this year.  All I know is that it's a three-lap course.

I know this post doesn't help you, but it's the only way I can see to subscribe to this thread .

03/05/2010 at 23:53
I've signed up to it and it will be my first marathon!!!

Any advice??
JPenno    pirate
04/05/2010 at 00:20
It is a fairly popular race with the forum, particularly as it can be done as relays, although, I vaguely recall the race being cancelled in the not to distant past due to the weather and that seriously pi$$ed a few people off, so may not get as many entrants as in the past
04/05/2010 at 10:04

The race wasn't cancelled because of the weather as such.  There was an overturned car on the course, so it was called off for safety reasons.  Arguably, the car was overturned due to the weather, but more likely due to moronic driving in adverse conditions.

I know some people who were entered, and they ran the course in any case because it was marked out and ready.  They only ran one lap though.

04/05/2010 at 11:06

oh, this is one of my faves

04/05/2010 at 19:58

3 laps summed up in a single word - GRIM (however, will probably do it again this year as I only live 20 minutes away and there aren't many other December marathons!).

12/05/2010 at 16:35

Its december and Its Luton - so not an ideal combination. Course is mildly playful in that the slopes on the first loop turn into hills on the second and by the third they are mountains. Organisation is pretty good with plenty of water etc and generally well signposted and marshalled. Support is limited most of the way around - although as loops you do get to see your supporters (if they can brave the Luton winter weather) three times. Bits of course are quite nice but other bits are as dull as dishwater and parts run down A5 (I think) 

Main thing I didnt like was there was a short but un-sign posted walk from the finish back to the race HQ.

Good solid race

16/06/2010 at 11:04
hiya.. thinking about doing this?? any good?? what are the hills like? flat course... details etc??
16/06/2010 at 12:06

Total climb of just over 400 meters over the 26.2 miles according to my garmin.

Main "hill" is 50 meters up over about 2-2.5 miles repeat three times and a few other ups and downs.

16/06/2010 at 12:11

we've done this 7 times, course best of 4:37, and course worst of 5:15

It's 3 laps - it's a good event, i'm always happy and impressed by it

16/06/2010 at 12:13
does it get a bit depressing doing laps? I have only ever done a 10km that had three laps in it.. found it good but not sure how I would feel in a marathon situation
16/06/2010 at 12:23

bootsie

well see, this is where the power of physcology and control of the mind comes into play

i could go on,....

16/06/2010 at 12:26
hmmm that is a long conversation! will have a think about it and see.. woudl be fun to do something before christmas.. will see how the training comes along i think
16/06/2010 at 12:28

good luck with what ever

Mick

16/06/2010 at 14:03

Good summary from Keith.  I did the relay last year and found it to be a well organised event, but I'm not sure I'd be too fussed about doing the whole 3 laps.  Apart from the ups and downs (not huge but I can imagine they'd start getting bigger on the 3rd lap) there are some exposed sections and it was a tad breezy last year.

A good one to do if you're averse to running marathons in the heat, I guess!

16/06/2010 at 14:27
not a big fan of the heat after brighton this year.. might be a good way to stay in shape before christmas this year! hopefully it wont sell out too soon.. doing a 15 miler first weekend in october so was hoping to see then how my training was going and decide then
16/06/2010 at 14:39

Phil

NOT  that i know you or have met you

but with your marathon times i've read about you do suprise me

but of course 3 laps isn't everyones thing

TBH, for us, there's an event called Boddington Ultra, it's normally 50k- it's just off M5 J12 ??, it's coming up trhis weeekend i think

anyway, my point is -

it's 2.2 ??mile laps , virtually flat , beautiful rural etc, you'd think it's easy pb stuff

but you know, most we've done is 18, done a HM on it, just cannot get my head around it, it seems to have a jinx on me

and i've pushed Phil around 3 track marathons of 107 laps each

16/06/2010 at 15:38

Hi Mick - we may not have said hello but last year's Luton marathon was the first time I've seen you and Phil in the flesh!  I was on 2nd leg for the relay, so I was watching the start of the race, going up the first hill, and gave you a cheer. 

I'm sure I'd get round the 3 laps OK, but I think I'm a bit all-or-nothing when it comes to marathon courses.  Either something fast and flat so I can go for a PB, or something with loads of silly hills in like Beachy Head, for the challenge.  Luton's a bit in-betweeny for me. 

1 to 20 of 315 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.