Luton Marathon

May not be Valencia but lets talk about it!!

1 to 20 of 52 messages
30/08/2012 at 13:56

Luton may not be thought of in the same light as the Valencia Marathon in November but as British we are born to run in the colder climes. We should have more marathons in this country in the Autumn/Winter months for variety and it will also mean that threads loke this are here for like minded runners to chat in those months.

12/09/2012 at 17:53

Hey BP I am doing the Luton Marathon as my "B" Marathon this year.  Hope to hear from you and others who are also running.

01/10/2012 at 12:36

Hey peeps im also doing it! Its my first one, kinda worried about the 5 hour cut off! Any ideas on the elelvation over the lap?

01/10/2012 at 12:43

Back2basics - good to see you attempting your first Marathon you will love it and don't panic about the time do the training and you will be fine. No not to sure about the elevation as the map link is not great but it does not look a flat one but also not a hilly one. I don't normally do multiple lap races as you know what is coming but this is an exception and we will have to see

Jolyon Bland - yes it is my 'B' Marathon as well as did Manchester in April - first time I have done one in November so although putting the training in not sure how it will go

02/10/2012 at 22:02

Hi all, I'm up for Luton too - did it last year and need to go back and do it properly!

See the profile from my GPS log from last year - before passing out when imagining those fearful peaks, pls note that the actual height gain on them is not great - total ascent for the lot for me was 390 odd metres

Saying that, you can see from my pace that I crashed and burned big time in the last few miles so make sure you run first 2 laps easy

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/457781/gallery/rt20111120-100002_luton_chart.png?width=350

02/10/2012 at 22:11
Thanks Juggling - did a course trace on Garmin Connect for a lap and actually the inclines are not steep although the main one each lap does go on for a mile but it is only 100 feet in that mile so basically just a long incline. Whether I could still say that on lap 3 is a different issue. It certainly looks like a course where pacing will be paramount
02/10/2012 at 23:29

Hi guys, I am also doing the luton marathon and I am really looking forward to the challenge... 

Back2basics - I have never done the LM but got tod to add a hill workout once week and some decent inclines half way through your long runs. I also got told that  its not as bad as it looks... 

good luck to everyone, train hard and train safe

03/10/2012 at 09:16

Another trick everyone - as it is a lapped race when you doing your long 20/22's milers don't do an out and back etc but split it into 3 as this will get you used to knowing what is coming when you are tired - also try to put a long incline in on each lap just like Luton - 90% of a Marathon is in head try and get your head in right gear

03/10/2012 at 09:49

Thanks guys, and thanks for the elevation Juggling, yeah thats not really bad at all!

My 13 mile route is a really hilly one so I should be good to go!

04/10/2012 at 23:12
I thought was well organised last year and liked the free massage at the end, I Really needed this as legs were trashed. Was pretty friendly too. Course goes out in to the countryside which I enjoyed and fair bit of support along route through start/finish area
05/10/2012 at 09:35

Thanks Jugglingjunky, would you or anyone else who has previously done the course be able to tell me how far each aid station is from one another and what they serve up?

05/10/2012 at 12:06

Hi all - the link below should show an elevation picture for 1 lap of the Luton Marathon. I basically traced the route on Garmin Connect so it won't be absolutely spot on but will be near as damn it.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/2203283#.UG6-P32kv6E.email

05/10/2012 at 14:02

First 20 miler at weekend in Luton Training Schedule - have got a 3 lap circuit sorted out with 2 mile incline in it (not steep) but enough to think about each time I finish a circuit. Been my longest mileage week since end of Manchester training so will need to see how I feel after weekend 20 miler. Next week less miles with a 1/2 race (Maidstone Half) on the Sunday. From then on it is a 20 and 22 miler on the weekends and then that dearly beloved taper. I do like to dream!!!

18/10/2012 at 16:50

Hey guys, just a quick question...I just went to the Luton Marathon wesite and the say they strongly advise NOT to wear headsts...now does this mean that I CANT wear earphones or they just dont think its a great idea?!

Has anyone ever had any problems with officals by wearing earphones?

18/10/2012 at 18:38
Back2Basics - I have seen someone get a severe ticking off twice for headsets but that is not that often. It would say do not wear if it meant it. Only thing I would say is course does take you along busy A6 for a part and also country roads that will have vehicles on them so if you can get by without music do so.
18/10/2012 at 23:31
Ah man I have a whole cadence playlist set up...might just try one earphone and see if I can blag it lol! Most of my training has been to music and I've got really used to knowing my surroundings with music still going....I think I may have some serious pacing problems without it!
19/10/2012 at 17:09

I'm in for this one, just entered.

Just hoping for the sound of success and getting under 4 hours, or should that be the sweet smell of success. However, on the day I'll probably not be fussed after 26.2 miles.

No ipod for me, may just try to talk to the next runner to take my mind off the pain, so you have been warned.

19/10/2012 at 19:38
Happy Wanderer - no one good will mind you talking to them and great to hear you entered. Enjoy
19/10/2012 at 19:49

I certainly will enjoy the day, Luton will be my sixth marathon, it's addictive this marathon lark.

20/10/2012 at 12:11
Bugger bugger bugger - went out to do a 20 miler today and my calf has gone. Looking like will not be at Luton now, had this injury before and it will take about 3 weeks to heal so would be going into marathon with only 1 20 mile run under belt. Although I know I could do a 4:10 marathon on back of that I don't know whether I want to do that.
1 to 20 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.