Maidenhead Easter 10M

60 years old and still running!

1 to 20 of 32 messages
23/11/2012 at 21:26
The Maidenhead Easter Ten is 60 years old next year and we hope you will consider joining us on March 29th to celebrate the race's Diamond Jubilee. After all, you could be taking part in the oldest road race in the country. Ron Ellis won the first Maidenhead Easter Ten (miles by the way!) in 1953 coming first in a field that had 98 finishers. Why not join us on March 29th 2013 and be one of the 1300 runners who will have the opportunity to take part in the 60th Maidenhead Easter Ten!
12/12/2012 at 07:22
Has it always been the same route? Given the start I guessing not!

I hope to be there.
12/12/2012 at 12:15

I've run three different routes Paul, since I first ran this event in about 1989.  This route is a lot flatter than the 1.5 lap version I first remember.

I've still got my small silver plate from the 50th event

12/12/2012 at 19:30

The race has moved around Maidenhead over its 60 years. As AndyP points out we have a fast, flat circuit now on the western edges of Maidenhead taking in White Waltham village. The Easter Ten is a great race to challenge or set a new PB over the 10-mile distance which for some reason is an increasingly rare racing distance even though it is a perfect test of stamina and speed. Hope to see you on the Start line!

12/12/2012 at 20:47

60years is a really good milestone.

10milers aren't that frequent, so the ones you find tend to draw good fields.

Maidenhead is a nice little race. Once you get out of that darn business park. From about mile 4 onwards it settles into quite a varied, interesting little jaunt around the area.

17/12/2012 at 19:45

I've been running it since 2007 and as far as I can recall over this short period of time it has always been the same route - apart form last year when there was a bit of a booboo at the start. It follows one of my summary training runs and I always enjoy the race and the distance. The usual start does not bother me.

22/01/2013 at 22:05

Ah...Ihear that Breadcroft Lane is closed for 6 months, so Easter 10 will need a new route! Perhaps it can go through the Thicket?

23/01/2013 at 18:31

The route will be the same course we have used in recent years, including Breadcroft Lane as we have an agreement with the contractor working on the railway bridge that there will be passage for the 1300 runners we expect to take part in the 60th Maidenhead Easter Ten

23/01/2013 at 18:44

A local race that I've never done. There's not many of them!

Is Ron Ellis still with us?

05/02/2013 at 11:48

Well 'Muttley' - where have you been for the last 59 years . Get your entry in now and join us for what is probably the oldest road race in the country which was started to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II accession to the throne in 1953...which may leave you wondering why the race is celebrating its Diamond Jubilee one year later than Her Majesty?  It is not that we can't count, it is simply that the 2001 race had to be cancelled as that was the year of the foot-and-mouth epidemic and all mass outdoor events were cancelled during the height of the outbreak. It's a great course for fast times and the race medal and souvenir will be well worth your efforts to cross the finish line!

05/02/2013 at 17:30

I'm in.  Hot cross buns for breakfast.

18/02/2013 at 08:30

I'm in too - good shout Philpub - toasted I hope?

18/02/2013 at 15:55

Naturally.  Otherwise, how would the butter melt?!    Then a good dollop of raspberry jam, I think.

21/02/2013 at 09:54

I'll bring ten - one for each mile

16/03/2013 at 21:31

There are now less than two weeks to go till you have the opportunity to take part in probably the oldest road race in the country. The first Maidenhead Easter Ten mile road race took place in 1953 and the price of entry to the race was 2/6 (12.5p!). I'll leave you to work out the compound inflation over the intervening 59 years! We still have a few places left if you have friends, family or work colleagues who may wish to join us for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of the Maidenhead Easter Ten.  Full details for race day, including the race programme, are now available at the club website: www.maidenheadac.co.uk

18/03/2013 at 09:57

I've just reaslised that the silver plate I mentioned was for the 40th anniversary - not 50.

Damn - where does time go??

18/03/2013 at 19:58
Looking forward to it - especially after running a very poor Reading half. And so cold afterwards. Please can it be warmer with no reason?
18/03/2013 at 21:33

AndyP - you are correct. The silver plate was the memento for the 40th Maidenhead Easter Ten.  20 years of running and seeking that new PB over various distances has now doubt kept you busy in the intervening years.  This year, you will receive a souvenir medal that will commemorate the 60 years of the Maidenhead Easter Ten and an additional memento that we hope you will find useful.  As for the weather prospects, we all have our fingers crossed that the worst of the current cold and wet weather front will pass over but Easter weather can be a law unto itself - come prepared on March 29th!

21/03/2013 at 18:29

Hi there this is the first time i have entered a race like this and im looking forward to it. I have entered and paid online but do i need to bring any id with me on the day or do i need to print anything off or do i just show up with my name  and my water bottle?

21/03/2013 at 22:23

Seems rude not to enter as I live just down the road and haven't done a 10m race yet. Any tips for carrying the hot cross buns welcomed, or if not, tips for pacing the race. I normally storm off the line, die in the middle, and then resurrect (the pace) at the end. Actually that reminds me of a book I once read.

1 to 20 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.