Manchester Marathon 2013

201 to 220 of 1,970 messages
13/11/2012 at 23:31
Garmin 305 sold on eBay and 610 bought brand new from Amazon.

Tried the 610 on a 13.5 mile run and its fantastic. The touch screen is great and I particularly like the Virtual Partner graphics. The new soft HRM strap is also much better.

Thanks to those for advising me to go through Amazon, came very quickly and reassurance of warranty and service should I need it.
14/11/2012 at 00:43

I didn't get on with the new style HRM strap Andrew. it seems to fold into my skin where the old harder one doesn't.

14/11/2012 at 08:31
GazOC wrote (see)

I didn't get on with the new style HRM strap Andrew. it seems to fold into my skin where the old harder one doesn't.

I concur with that. The newer HRM strap has left my chest with a couple of nasty marks due to rubbing. If i'm on a long run i have to wear a plaster underneath or it causes me grief.

My 610 will be going back to Garmin shortly, started to corrode on the metal backing some reason. Had it less than 12 months.

14/11/2012 at 23:23
Only time will tell re the new strap, but It did feel lighter and more comfortable after a 14 mile run. The older one seemed to rub and cause a mark however it was never bad enough for me to put Vaseline or a plaster on or anything. Gaz at least your getting it sorted before the warranty runs out, which is why I'm glad I bought it from Amazon.
15/11/2012 at 07:24

There is always the Blackpool Marathon 7th April 2013, new venue, football club stadium finish, new course, flat, closed roads and early entrants under £30 (1/2M same day)

15/11/2012 at 12:02

blackpool marathon is rubbish. years and years of complaints about that race, i'd never enter it.

manchester seemed to have some teething troubles this year but i'm entering, even though its a bit expensive.

15/11/2012 at 13:25

I'll agree with Gary, Blackpool is a bit pants!!! Yes it's a bit cheaper but not worth it, I'll be doing the half as part of the build up for Manchester. 

The one thing I would say about Blackpool is if you can put up with the bordem of the sea, then it's a quick course.

15/11/2012 at 16:50

Smileybob

You will not see much of tyhe sea in 2013, many changes, for the better I might add, but thanks for your comment. Since I mentioned the event on this forum we have had 170 hits and over 70 entries, good advertising thanks guys. Blackpool will be the biggest ever in 2013 (beat 4232 record, combined full & half)

Ron

16/11/2012 at 08:08

what about the dozens of threads the organisers of blackpool got RW to remove over the years, because they didnt want people to know the truth about how badly organised it was, well people have long memories

16/11/2012 at 09:11

Gary

Like many other race/event organisers we took on board the mistakes of previous events, become more professional (see fyldecoastrunning.org) rectified most, chip timing, bottled water, more medical support, bigger and better race HQ, more marshals, two  good class hotels on site, 200 toilets on site, 5000 car parking spaces on site, 4 cafe's open on site, what else can we do. The event has grown over the past three years and will continue with your obvious interest.  LOW KEY town centre event, be prepared to be amazed in 2013 We did not ask RW to remove forum threads, they removed the nasty personal ones. You obviously like to cause trouble (what is your real name, Garstang from garstang, come on, be real, stop being a saddo. Yes people do have long memories, 99% accept changes in the spirit of sport and a continued learning curve. As a UKA race adjudicator/referee I have attendeds several events in Lancashire this year, many fall well below the standards laid down by UKA.

You can keep this thread going, I certainly will not. Have the guts to email me with your problems/moans etc, I will glady answer them constructively. If you are a local jogger/fun runner, like the off road/fell/trail races, stick to them.

Regards    Ron

17/11/2012 at 09:17

Wow, I'd like to keep this thread going, I always pop in and see whats going on. Still undecided about going for it. Running has been non existant at the moment so that needs rectifying. Is there anyone on here going for sub 5 30?

17/11/2012 at 11:46

Hi again.  Starting serious training next Monday since Chester marathon.  Work and feeling shattered since then has got in the way but now up for it.  Got 3hrs 4 mins at Chester so hoping to go sub 3 if the training goes alright.  To kep me focused I've got the Liversedge half marathon lined up in Feb and I may even treat myself to a new jacket. 

On the Garmin 610 topic, I've had mine since they first came out and have been having issues with green corrosion at the back and getting the thing to charge up (due ot the connector not  staying in contact).  I also find that the HRM rubs and leaves a mark on my longer runs.  Other than that the watch itself is great.

Happy training (especially if the newspapers are right about the cold snap on the way!)

18/11/2012 at 13:57

Hi Guys - I'll be doing Manchester again next year. Even after this years teething probs and lousy conditions, I still Pb'd by 6.5mins so maybe I've got rose tinted glasses on. But flatter and and no Dunham Messy will be good.

Re the Garmin 'soft' HR strap. The only niggle I have is you have to loosen it to get it over your head, then re adjust it again to wear it everytime. Other makes have a clip, which you undo, so you don't have to keep adjusting the size of the strap.

Re Blackpool mara, I did it in '09 and '10 before the tram track updates, and at least it was pan flat. Ok support was a bit sparse in places, but getting some abuse from drunken hen/stag parties just added to occasion. I would cetainly do it again if they've made updates, just like manchester.

18/11/2012 at 16:20

I said in a earlier post that the closing date for this is the 7th January as stated on the race website. Having looked at the FAQ`s it states on there that its the 31st of January  which one make up your minds ? i know personally the later one would be best  as everyone is skint at xmas..

18/11/2012 at 17:40

I saw the original site and they did say the 7th. Thanks for the heads up . .I still think the 31st is quite an early cut off point. I wonder how many will go for it over the New Year! I am now thinking of doing this 2014 as running is sparodic. We shall see. x

18/11/2012 at 20:40
EP - You've still got plenty of time to get your training up to speed for 2013. a 16wk plan would start on 6Jan. Obviously if your injured that's a different story. I'm aiming for sub 3:30 as plan A, and 3:39 as plan B. And anything under 3:52 as plan C, which will still be a Pb. Have you done any marathons previously?
18/11/2012 at 22:00

Thanks - No Simon, I have done  a few halfs, Stopped running then did a half a month ago and lost it a ltttle bit. So am going to take it week by week to see if I can get some base training in. A sub 3.30 sounds like a fabulous aim . . a sub 4 is fantastic too. Is this your first?

18/11/2012 at 23:20
EP - No it will be my 5th, but only started 3 years ago in my late 40's. After a 4:26 in my 1st, managed a magic 3:59:06 in my 2nd. Then this year at Manchester 3:52:14. But picked up a PF heel injury during winter training, so now run in minamilist shoes. It will be my first in these shoes, so bit of an unknown. What sort of times have you done for your HM's?
19/11/2012 at 11:56

Had a bit of a nightmare at Luton Marathon yesterday- It is a 3 lap race and is hilly but that is no excuse. was fine through 18 miles and on 3:55 pace then legs just went into a 'vegetative state' and decided that they would not work the way they should - it was not cramp it was just massive aching pain. Anyway that was end of decent time and finished in 4:18 (worst for 4 years). Weird thing is that 1/2 hour after race legs were feeling great no aches and even today I have no aches - it is almost as though I imagined the race and didn't run.

19/11/2012 at 13:59
You can get ??5 off the entry fee by entering the code ACTIVEGMM.

It's a fiver better off in your pocket.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.