Manchester Marathon 2013

281 to 300 of 1,971 messages
14/12/2012 at 12:51

Joanna - dont know what type of hotel you want but if not to up market then have a look at hotels out Sale/Brooklands as easy Metro into start and race goes through there if you have people watching you. We stayed at a little B&B (Brooklands Lodge) last year and it was really good for what we wanted (only 2 minutes from Metro Station). I am one for a nice hotel and this although not a full hotel was very clean and tidy and rooms were adequate.

14/12/2012 at 13:20

I live in Timperley and there are a few cheap hotels and B&Bs round Timp/Altrincham and Sale which are all within a few minutes walk of a Metrolink station

There's a Travelodge in Altrincham centre now which isn't far from the tram station and the Premier Inn falls nicely between Altrincham and Navigation Road stations

I used to drink in the Pelican in Sale and that has a motel type place attached, the Altrincham Lodge which again is only round the corner from Timperley station

There are probably other more expensive places but if you're looking for somewhere to crash the night before and get ready then the above would suffice

16/12/2012 at 21:09

Evening fellow rubbers.  I shall know for definite by end of week whether Manchester or VLM for me (club ballot for VLM).  Something in my head tells me not to bother with London, I am thinking it may not be the place to aim to smash my PB, crowds etc.  Hmm.  Anyway, I think I would like to do it once, just to see if I can beat some knob from TOWIE or a random chef.  Manchester is calling me back, have a ghost to exorcise.  As well as a subway to scrawl my name on, damn that subway from this year's race. 

Edited: 16/12/2012 at 21:11
17/12/2012 at 16:56

Well, no turning back now,I've entered and am looking forward to what the next few months might bring

I've got a training plan based loosely on the GMM Intermediate which fits with my current training days/schedule

My one concern at the moment is that my speed hasn't really picked back up from pre-Tatton half-marathon training and the race itself and I'm probably not running much faster that I was 12 months ago, although admittedly I'm running further

17/12/2012 at 19:55
I'm in! Next years A race so far. Bring it on......
18/12/2012 at 19:48
Haven't entered yet. Christmas was priority so once get paid at end of month I will enter. As coming from north of the border what is the hotel situation like as in do the book up quickly?
18/12/2012 at 20:47

There are quite a few, decent and reasonably prices hotels in Salford Quays

18/12/2012 at 22:43
Just entered this week. I've done 5 marathons before but none for a few years though I do run regularly. I'm aiming for a sub 4 hr which means knocking 7 mins of my pb. I'm starting training on the 7th jan but haven't decided on which plan to use yet. I'm currently running about 3 times a week . One session is track and my long runs 10-12 miles. Any suggestions?
19/12/2012 at 13:00

Just hitting my stride in training, up to about 40m/wk, 16 for my LSR and I've slipped a disc in my back, took me 6 months to get over it last time, gutted.

19/12/2012 at 13:16

Heow, there's no subway to vandalise on the new course. But there is Old trafford

19/12/2012 at 23:39

Is there a cut off time for this one? Thanks in advance. 

EP. x

20/12/2012 at 08:43
Think I read it was 6hrs mate
20/12/2012 at 10:24

I am definitely in for Manchester, didn't win in the VLM ballot with club, quite glad really, have far better chance of PB at Manchester.  Just need to enter now!  So, I am here, to desecrate the thread.   I ask one thing... NO weather updates until 48 hours before.   Following P&D plan for this, switching between the

20/12/2012 at 10:24

Catherine, can you run more than 3 times a week? 

20/12/2012 at 13:11

Afternoon all.  I've just signed up.  £42.50 plus £2.13 (5% 'service fee') so £44.63 total.  I used the MEN5 code to knock off a fiver; it still works.  

Hoping for better weather than there was last year.

20/12/2012 at 13:29
Right rip off for a marathon. Grieved me to pay that tbh
20/12/2012 at 15:26

I'd just decided to do enter... but just found the price.  OMG...  This organising company must have employees going around in private jets.

50 quid...  OMG   OMG.  Then they've got the cheek to charge the 'booking fee' separately  - rather than being honest about what the price is.

I don't know what to do.  I wanted to do it... but am I prepared to pay such a rip off price?... one that is nothing to do with costs... and everything to do with maximising income.

I'm certainly going to wait til after Christmas, and will have a look round for alternatives.

20/12/2012 at 15:38
I try to put things into comparison.

I also enjoy a good night out on the lash, and wouldn't normally think twice about spending ??50 for a bad head the next day.

At least entering this will keep me out the pub for a bit & I'll have something to show for it / be proud of afterwards

But yeh...??50 is still a piss take lol
20/12/2012 at 23:19

Cheets Jedwards x

21/12/2012 at 09:51

£50 is a lot in an absolute sense, but relatively? What are people comparing it to?  London?  I think Edinburgh is a similar price if not slightly more.  Abingdon was £30ish, I think.  MK is now £36.  Compared to the races on the Continent, £50 is a bargain.  Where are the other cheap marathons?  Any less than £30 with a field of more than 5000?

I agree about the sneaky booking fee.  I'd feel less annoyed if the price was £45 than if I am told it'll be £42 but then see that 5% charge added separately after I got my card out.

I'm just a little disappointed that the start/finish is outside OT in a car park and not the Stretford End.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.