Manchester Marathon 2013

321 to 340 of 1,970 messages
04/01/2013 at 12:52

Training starts Sunday after 4 weeks off, was going well, decent long runs and good weekly mileage when I got an injury, did a bit of cycling to keep tikcing over. Just got over that and came down with flu Christmas day, will try to get out Sunday for a long run at a gentle pace before the serious stuff starts.

04/01/2013 at 14:16
Ally, everyone got a bag and a tag and a number. So all the bags and the tags were the same. the number (obvs) went on your shirt, not the bag. All the bags were piled up in a luggage tent, literally thousands of them, with no way to discern whose was which. Bedlam. The organisers spent the next six months apologising.
04/01/2013 at 15:10

Cheers for the replies. Thats what I make it too as my program has race week as "Week 0" so week 15 starts on Monday 7th.

JedWard. The P&D programs are from the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas.

04/01/2013 at 15:15

Mine will start a week later but i've been "keeping my eye in" with 35-45 mpw up until this last week.  In taper ahead of HM on Sunday and then maybe one gentle run next week ahead of a weekend away.  Monday 14th the formal stuff will get going and I can't wait

04/01/2013 at 16:17

wondered if there are any gels being given out at any of the aid stations

04/01/2013 at 17:08

After reading a few injury reports now by you runners, I have bought some books including the P and D one. Nothing worse then an injury. 

I have reasonable knowledge of running, but not to the extent you lot have. What I do have though is manging injuries through other sports. 

What I would say because running gives you the freedom of mine, it easy to get out on those roads without resting. Yet most people I know from a sporting background to an high level. Including Kelly Holmes say rest is one of the most important factors.

04/01/2013 at 19:41
Edited: 04/01/2013 at 19:42
Keep Plodding On    pirate
05/01/2013 at 18:24

My training starts on Monday again so I thought I'd best start showing my face in here ready

Jedward - they gave a couple of gels out to each runner last year but I can't for the life of me remember at which miles they were, partly due to the fact I used my own.

05/01/2013 at 18:54
Hi all, I'm also coming back for round 2 at Manchester although as a training run before Outlaw in July (unless I am feeling a bit fruity at the start line and decide to give it some beans). Looks like the course changes are positive and the weather has to be better than last year!

Take it easy folks, long way to go yet
05/01/2013 at 21:40
Yes back as we'll - figure Manchester owes me after last years weather. Was great till 22 miles then cramps caused by the cold and wet getting into the quads - went from a 3:45 to an eventual 3:52 due to various stops to get rid of cramp. Surely it can't be as bad this year!!!
05/01/2013 at 21:43
first long slow run of 2013 tomorrow. Bring it on Manchester!
05/01/2013 at 21:57

Right, I am entering this bloody race tonight.  I have to set it in stone.  I am already 3 weeks into training for it (always start early in case of injury/illness).  Doing P&D 55-70.  Manchester killed me last year, still have nightmares. 

06/01/2013 at 10:45
Training well under way, steady week with a nice 10 miler this morning.

16 weeks to go....
06/01/2013 at 11:41

18 miles this morning nice and easy, getting fitter...

06/01/2013 at 19:59

9 miles done earlier. Time to start stocking up on some audiobooks for those longer runs.

07/01/2013 at 17:26
Dominic Keavey wrote (see)
Ally, everyone got a bag and a tag and a number. So all the bags and the tags were the same. the number (obvs) went on your shirt, not the bag. All the bags were piled up in a luggage tent, literally thousands of them, with no way to discern whose was which. Bedlam. The organisers spent the next six months apologising.

Thanks Dominic.  So same bag, small tag, no label and no structured organisation into rows?  Let's hope that this year will be improved.   I'm sure that it will.  

As well as that 'left-in-the-street' at the 10km I mentioned, another shocker was out in New York.  Those guys had 40,000 to deal with - I ran in 2011 - and insisted on using tiny vans from their sponsor, UPS.  Each van had 1,000 bags and they allowed one guy in the van alongside rows of 3/4 of the bags, while the other 1/4 was on the floor outside the van, with 4 people handing these ones out.  Cue lots of cold runners (finishing at a similar time because of the way they allocated numbers) hoping that their bag was on the floor and not at the front of the van!  Hubris can be a dangerous thing.  Still, the last I heard was that they were pushing on with EasyJet-style charing extra if you took a bag for 2012 (before it was understandably cancelled). 

I did my first longer run of the year at the weekend as I ran 20miles on Saturday, including parkrun, but ended up weighing more today than I did at the end of last week!

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 17:26
07/01/2013 at 21:00
Christ I need to step it up!
08/01/2013 at 07:20

I know Jedwards it'll be here before you know it !! so better knuckle down now and get the training done.

08/01/2013 at 09:21
Gentle five miler for me today. Didn't get my Garmin sorted so think I'll have to hand enter my training schedule.
Is anyone using the schedule off the Manchester Marathon website?
08/01/2013 at 09:56

I'm sort of following the Intermediate plan with a few tweaks to fit in with my existing running e.g. my long run is done during the week as I struggle at weekends and I do some longer runs elsewhere in the week already,so have used this as my base and will continue to run them.

My concerns are getting used to the water and gels which I've not really had to delve into during training or running half marathons, in the past, but will have to start practicing with now and perhaps my general nutrition during the training schedule as I've been feeling quite tired over the last few weeks and put that down to the rigours of the festive season.

I've struggled a bit over Christmas/New Year with a chesty cough, I've been out doing my runs but have not enjoyed them as much and my times have been much slower than usual

I'm hoping to do the race in between 4 and 4:30 but TBH I'll be pleased enough with finishing

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.