Manchester Marathon 2013

381 to 400 of 1,970 messages
17/01/2013 at 01:45

I've entered again. I think it's going to be great. They know they messed up with the baggage last time, & were fast to say sorry, & tried their best to put it right. Had the weather been dry, then the baggage cockup wouldn't have been so bad....

Lily.....I'm a slower runner....5:18 PB....But I like a faster start than other people with that time.....So if I'm on good form I'll probably go with the 4:30 people, as I like a half way time of around 2:20.....So I guess start with the people that represent your first half speed!

17/01/2013 at 08:23

Pyjama girl, sounds the perfect place to start, had not thought of it that way! My GMM time was 5:17:56 so we must have finished at a similar time! I am not running Manc this year but the Marathon of the North in Sunderland instead for a change. Then York in Oct.

18/01/2013 at 06:09

Oh I had a shocker at Manc last year! I was 1 hour 20 outside my PB without walking any!!  York sounds like it will be good. I'd have done that if it didn't clash with Amsterdam. Is Sunderland on the same day as Manc??

18/01/2013 at 06:17

Ah, yes...Sunderland same day....grrrr!!

18/01/2013 at 10:18
Pyjama Girl wrote (see)

Oh I had a shocker at Manc last year! I was 1 hour 20 outside my PB without walking any!!  York sounds like it will be good. I'd have done that if it didn't clash with Amsterdam. Is Sunderland on the same day as Manc??

To be fair PG, the conditions last year for Manchester were atrocious and probably didn't help times. I'm struggling a bit in training for Manchester at the moment, still can't shift this cough I've had since Christmas and am getting out running but probably running times that are a minute per mile slower than I was running in the build up to Christmas.

Hopefully things will pick up and I am getting the runs in distance-wise

18/01/2013 at 10:46

does anyone know what the deal is with aid/water stations at the manc marathon for 2013? The website here mentions Cliff shots and Iconiq water pouches but it's not clear whether they are just promoting/advertising them or if they will be available throughout the race. Anyone know for sure? What happened last year? I'm tempted to do my long training runs with just water and my own nutrition (jelly babies or cliff blocks or something), that way i can just use the water on the day. There's always water, right?

18/01/2013 at 10:49

Water pouches and cliff stuff will be used during race. They are in process of finalising which isotnic drink will be used and that will be announced later. 

18/01/2013 at 11:31

It was a bit damp wasn't it Robin!  People looked so fed up. They were running in space blankets, & the sweep bus seemed very busy picking people up that had simply had enough. But the rain was forecast, so I simply wore the right clothes, & wasn't too cold.....

I think we all feel slow right now. 

Ginger, they had some great plastic water pouches last year, so sounds like they'll be back. 

18/01/2013 at 11:57

Perhaps this has already been posted, but for those who might not have seen it, here's the 2013 route...

http://www.mapmytri.com/routes/view/111929753

Could maybe use this to marshall your supporters around the route.

Looks like it's a slight uphill final 2km, but the gain is only about 2 or 3 metres, so not too punishing.

18/01/2013 at 12:21

My training is rubbish as well, got a half this weekend that I haven't trained for and still have a low level chest infection.... Work keeps getting in the way of me doing proper training....

18/01/2013 at 12:45

Went out for an hour in the snow last night. I'm not sure if the value of this is enough to balance the risk of injury, but it makes me feel like a hard-core runner, which has to be worthwhile.

I'm hoping the York Brass Monkey HM isn't called off this weekend as I've used tapering for it as an excuse for under-training all week.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Clif Shots to find out if they're at all palatable. I find their chewy bars very hard work when I'm out cycling. 

18/01/2013 at 13:14

i've just bought some "clif shot bloks". one pack contains 6 "bloks". the recommended "dosage" on the packet is between 3 and 6 bloks per hour of exercise, but i think that might be a bit on the high side for me, so i'm going to experiment on this weekend's 15mi run.

the whole packet (6 bloks) contains 48g carbs, 0.14g sodium and 1/2 shot caffeine (no specific mg measurment for that). Seems a bit low on sodium for the price of £2.25 a packet. Much cheaper to make up your own drink solution, with some dioraltye and orange cordial, and sip that along with water provided on the course, but i'll try these out anyway, see how they fare.

18/01/2013 at 13:23

The shot blocks get into your system and work quicker than drinks do.

18/01/2013 at 13:33
samoff wrote (see)

Went out for an hour in the snow last night. I'm not sure if the value of this is enough to balance the risk of injury, but it makes me feel like a hard-core runner, which has to be worthwhile.

I'm hoping the York Brass Monkey HM isn't called off this weekend as I've used tapering for it as an excuse for under-training all week.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Clif Shots to find out if they're at all palatable. I find their chewy bars very hard work when I'm out cycling. 

Likewise, going out in the snow in shorts is my claim to be hard core (that and the fact that my son said I looked like Max Wall with my running tights on)

I was recommended the SIS GO Energy Sachets as they require less water but I've been experimenting with the kids sweets on my longer runs with no negative effects

I want to use something I can carry myself, so I know if works and also that I'm not having to hope that the refuelling stations still have stuff left when I get there!

18/01/2013 at 13:35
rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)
my son said I looked like Max Wall with my running tights on)

blimey, how old are you if you have a son who knows who Max Wall is?

18/01/2013 at 16:43

"blimey, how old are you if you have a son who knows who Max Wall is?"

(it's what we're all thinking)

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 16:55
18/01/2013 at 16:59

I use SIS Go sachets and like them. I can't deal with anything that needs chewing - I've tried jelly babies and some little cola flavoured jellies but I can't do them at all.

If the Clif shots are good, though, it would be nice ti have the option of not carrying gels. It'd be a big decision, though. I think I might find it quite stressful knowing I might run out of fuel if the station let me down.

18/01/2013 at 17:03

Agent Ginger, I found all apart from the first fuel station had run out before I got there. I would always take my own now and any handed out would be a bonus.The water pouches were a little tricky to open and I often split the water but hardly noticed for all the rain! I carry dextrose tablets.

18/01/2013 at 18:06
Hi,

I'm entered with a friend for the Manchester Marathon this year. I was entered for the Brighton marathon in 2011 and then got a stress fracture when I was on my taper 3 weeks before the race so had to pull out I had 10 weeks of no running which was torture! Gutting after months of training and hard work and I'd completed 22 miles with no problems.

I'd convinced myself that I didn't want to do a marathon afterall and stuck to my usual Half Marathons and 10Ks meets but it's always been at the back of my mind to complete a marathon. Training's going great again so I've got everything crossed that I don't get injured again - negative thoughts go away!

Just wondered if anyone has any advice on the best place to stay also bearing in mind that the my young family will be there to spectate. Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks
18/01/2013 at 19:05

Nothern Lass - the start and finish are beside Old Trafford (Man Utd football ground) there are quite a few hotels in that and the Salford Quays area that are within an easy stroll of there. I would look for hotels close to the Man Utd football grounf postcode

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.