Manchester Marathon 2013

1,041 to 1,060 of 1,971 messages
03/04/2013 at 21:59

RP, I live in Bury so as you know, you can't avoid them around here!  My usual LSR takes me down towards Ramsbottom, through Hawshaw and up to Harwood and back.  Like running on a ruffled quilt!

I downloaded "Born to Run" and listened to it on my LSRs.  Great yarn, very interesting, slightly dubious about all the story being recalled exactly how it happened.  Got me through 3 long runs though

03/04/2013 at 23:46
Panda - no, unfortunately my holiday was nowhere hot....went to London and did lots of touristy stuff with husband and teenage daughters. Maybe it was all the time on my feet that made me lose my oomph.
Anyway, the good news is I did my regular Wednesday night 10 miler and I felt ok, not completely knackered like I have done this last week.
I live in hill territory too (Isle of Man) so sometimes struggle to find a decent 'flattish' route to do a LSR on. I agree that regular running on hilly terrain makes you stronger and the flat of Manchester will be a welcome change.
04/04/2013 at 00:45
My lsr of 21.5 miles is very hilly and the last few miles are up hill

Always a struggle and sometimes I've walked the last mile as there is a shop at the 20.2 point! Nice banana milkshake from there last week.

According to walkjogrun the range is 118.4 ft to 1291.7 ft. The first 3 miles are downhill, then an incline up to mile 7 with some straights and downs before another big incline. From 10 its down then flat from 11 to 17 miles, then uphill to the plateau I live on in South Leeds.
04/04/2013 at 08:04

Congratulations RP on the next little bundle of joy. Coincidentally I also visited my folks in Durham over Easter - we went up via Kirkby Stephen and the A66 - loads of snow up there.

SB - My training routes also include loads of hills which I also think help come marathon day. At the Preston Guild Marathon last October there a few gripes about the "hills" but in my book it almost pancake flat. According to map my run my hilly 20 milers mention about 700 m of climb I think - but I'm not sure if thats up and down or just up (or just down ?) !

No sign of a number for me yet.

04/04/2013 at 10:05

SB - I don't envy you, I live in Timperley so most of my training has been on the pancake routes although the canal is really good at this time of year and away from the traffic etc. My sister-in-law lives in Rammy and my father in law lives in Whitewell Bottom so I know the area and wouldn't fancy it for a regular run (I now have Born to Run by Springsteen going around my head for some bizarre reason)

marathon molly wrote (see)

RP - Congratulations!! fantastic news. i love good news  Look after yourself!

i found it so hard I didn't have another, the white flag went up - it's easier doing marathons!

RR - it IS tough, otherwise everyone would be doing one. You'll be fine on the day I promise.

i haven't got my number yet but I've got my car park number: N2

Are there such things as day rovers for the trams so my Dad etc can move around?

Cheers Molly, I'm pretty sure you can get an all day tram ticket that allows travel between as many stops as required (although the Metrolink website isn't very helpful). You can certainly get an all day family ticketm which we use quite regularly. Usually a return ticket means that the outward journey has to be made within 90 minutes and the return must be made on the date of purchase

Haven't had my number or race info as yet and wondered whether anything was present about Metrolink or free travel to athletes on the day

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 10:22
04/04/2013 at 11:56

PM - Nah, i'm not entirely sure either but I think that will be the total of your climbed metres.  If so then....ouch!  That's nearly twice as hilly as mine.  Here's me:

http://s11.postimg.org/oaeup2m03/Screen_Hunter_01_Apr_04_11_49.jpg

The hard bit is the 80 odd metres in 2 miles, 14 miles in.  Funny, it doesn't sound that much but it really can drain me, certainly on the earlier LSRs.

RR - You do get used to it mate, it's all I know.  Funnily enough, when I was listening to the BTR audio book, that song would regularly pop into my head

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 12:00
GTC
04/04/2013 at 12:24

Tiny request - if you are doing Manchester on the 28th April would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling  a marathon.

Cheers.

GTC
04/04/2013 at 13:39

Hi everyone

baby is screaming so will be quick!  Funny enough my partner lived in Ramsbottom (near Edenfield) and it's almost mountainous there.....when I moan aboutn hills he say's "thats not a hill" and then when I went I understood what he meant!

My LSR in Prestwich went down Bury new (or old, I can't remember) past the Metro fish shop all the way to nearly the footie ground, left and drop down to Radcliffe then a looonnnng climb back up to Heaton Park and a few laps there....it seems easy now....well, easier!

10 miles for me this morning.....it was fine, though I had to stop for a wee twice...great eh?!  The wind was really strong though, made certain parts of it really hard.

Right...bottle time, back later

Panda

04/04/2013 at 14:02

I live in Whitefield and that is almost exactly the route for my LSR, Redpanda!

On sunday, instead of going into Heaton park, I'm going down Sheepfoot lane, up Victoria ave in Blackley and then back to Whitefield through Cheetham hill.

Works out exactly 20mile and is a lot less hilly than my other route which is to Ramsbottom and back.

04/04/2013 at 14:13

Caballo - I've read "Born to Run" and couldn't put it down.  In fact I leant it out amongst running friends about three years ago and haven't had it back yet, so it's gaining quite a following round here.  Another good one is "Marathon Running for Mortals" by John "The Penguin" Bingham - more of a manual than a tale but really inspirational and funny with it.

We're planning our last 20 miler for Sunday, heading out towards Chapel-en-le-Frith.  Last time we did something similar it was almost all uphill (we only ran one way, drove back) so at least we'll be giving ourselves one last monster run.  After that the marathon will seem boringly flat....I hope!

Still no number, although I too am in car park N2 - I wonder how many laps of that I'll have to do to make up the 26.2?

04/04/2013 at 14:23
Auntie Ninja wrote (see)

Caballo - I've read "Born to Run" and couldn't put it down.  In fact I leant it out amongst running friends about three years ago and haven't had it back yet, so it's gaining quite a following round here.  Another good one is "Marathon Running for Mortals" by John "The Penguin" Bingham - more of a manual than a tale but really inspirational and funny with it.

We're planning our last 20 miler for Sunday, heading out towards Chapel-en-le-Frith.  Last time we did something similar it was almost all uphill (we only ran one way, drove back) so at least we'll be giving ourselves one last monster run.  After that the marathon will seem boringly flat....I hope!

Still no number, although I too am in car park N2 - I wonder how many laps of that I'll have to do to make up the 26.2?

Yeah it's a great read. It was the inspiration behind my username, although sadly Caballo Blanco has since passed away, (whilst running obviously!)

I'll get that other book ordered now so thanks for the recommendation.

No number for me yet either but hopefully it will be there when I get home, need a final bit of motivation before the 20 miler on Sunday

04/04/2013 at 15:07

No number for me either!

CB....I lived right near Bowker Vale tram stop, so I know sheepfoot lane.  TBH, I was a bit scared to go off near Cheetham Hill etc as I wasn't sure how safe it would be.  Once, I set off though on a short run and got lost right near Alan Turing Way, and I ended up doing about 11 miles!  It was during the day but I was panicking like mad!

I must start reading some of these books.  Saying that, I can't remember the last time I got to even read a magazine! 

Panda

04/04/2013 at 15:13

SB, Aaah. Just realised. my route is 700 feet not 700 metres. So your route is hillier - at about 1000 feet of "gain". That is rather hilly to say the least.  You confused me talking in miles and metres..................

04/04/2013 at 15:31

They'd have to catch me first, Redpanda

04/04/2013 at 15:34
Ha ha!
KMJ
04/04/2013 at 15:55

Eagerly awaiting my number. Silly postman didn't bring it. Car park ticket turned up yesterday though.

04/04/2013 at 16:16
PureManic wrote (see)

SB, Aaah. Just realised. my route is 700 feet not 700 metres. So your route is hillier - at about 1000 feet of "gain". That is rather hilly to say the least.  You confused me talking in miles and metres..................

Ha!  Yeah, it's a little fecker at times but i'm getting used to it.  I like it because theres some offroad aphalt involved and the roads up there aren't too busy.

RP - Know the area well but they're busy roads both for pedestrians and cars, no?  I prefer my quieter routes, I have to say.  Edenfield though, that's absolutely on the agenda.  I've been plotting a new route to take me up that way and to Rawtenstall and back.  Should be "fun"

04/04/2013 at 16:29

i've booked into the Macdonald hotel round the corner from Picadilly. Hopefully i'll be able to get a decent night sleep on the Saturday and get the tram down to OT for the start of the race. My train back (from Picadilly) isn't until 7pm so I'm planning on leaving my bags at the hotel, having some food and beer with mates, then picking them up before i catch the train back.

04/04/2013 at 16:30

No number for me either!

CB....I lived right near Bowker Vale tram stop, so I know sheepfoot lane.  TBH, I was a bit scared to go off near Cheetham Hill etc as I wasn't sure how safe it would be.  Once, I set off though on a short run and got lost right near Alan Turing Way, and I ended up doing about 11 miles!  It was during the day but I was panicking like mad!

I must start reading some of these books.  Saying that, I can't remember the last time I got to even read a magazine! 

Panda

04/04/2013 at 16:45

hmmm, just a thought, but does anyone know if there will be showers at the end of the race? I'm guessing not, seems a bit of a luxury. I suppose i'll have to do with wet wipes then changing into my civvies before heading to the pub. Or I could take a small hand towel, and a flannel and have a commando wash in the disabled toilet. Otherwise i'll be stinking until i get home about 10pm that evening.

1,041 to 1,060 of 1,971 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.