Manchester Marathon

Anyone doing? <3:15

6 messages
05/10/2002 at 18:24
Got number yesterday, and now have first marathon in a week..... gulp..

Entered to try and guarantee entry to FLM next year, and so aiming to run 3:14, and no faster.... (Don't want to kill myself for other races)..

Anyone else aiming for similar? planning splits of 1:36, 1:36, looking at the elavatoin increases over first half of race...

IRW
05/10/2002 at 20:07
I am also looking for sub 3:15 in first marathon to get guaranteed entry for FLM not sure on splits yet No:466
Whats your race number IRW ?

runnerschat.com
05/10/2002 at 20:32
number 415: splits should read 1:38, 1:36, though have no idea on pace over this distance - without other people to run with, I am very liable to go off too fast.....

Staying over the night before otherwise will never make 9am..
06/10/2002 at 12:42
There was a fairly lively debate on the Manchester Marathon a few weeks back. It attacted a large number of runners aiming to get under 3:15. I think you will easily find someone to run with at the race.

Be careful in the first 3 miles through the park. If you are near the front it is really easy to get pulled along too fast. A couple of years ago I let that happen to me and really struggled towards the end.
10/10/2002 at 14:28
Yeh quite a few of us aiming for 3.14.59 !
I strongly recommend you set your pace so that you leave an extra 5 - 10 minutes for the last 6 miles, which will almost certainly be very, very tough. My pacing will be 7:20 miles, getting me to the 20 mile mark in approx. 2:25, leaving 50 mins for the last 6.2 miles (8 minute mile pace.)
I leave the 'negative splits' to the top pros. I also suggest you have achieved 90 minutes or very close to it for a 1/2 marathon recently too. See you on the course !
11/10/2002 at 21:23
see you all there -I'm marshalling in Wythenshawe Park

good luck!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.