Marathon Des Sables 2013

1 to 20 of 37 messages
19/03/2011 at 08:38
I'm considering the idea of this race and just trying to find out a few things about the actual running. For instance, on day 4 you have to cover something like 55 miles in 24 hours. Does everybody actually run this entire leg or walk run/walk etc
19/03/2011 at 15:09
There is a programme on t.v this week about it. Not sure what channel ....discovery??
19/03/2011 at 15:11
Discovery channel 9 p.m. Thursday. called the toughest race on earth.
19/03/2011 at 15:17
that show is the first in 3 part james cracknell series.

you have to carry all your kit and its over 40 degrees. there will be plenty of walkers!
19/03/2011 at 16:19

http://www.saharamarathon.co.uk/

I watched the very lovely Ben Fogle do this event via you tube awhile ago, but it does not seem to be on there now. Quite fancied doing this, but would probably end up getting lost and having to drink my own urine.

Read this book, which was okay, but more about the training getting there, then the actual race in my opinion.
The Marathon Des Sables: Seven Days in the Sahara Enduring the Toughest Footrace on Earth [Paperback]
Mark Hines (Author)

Believe there is a waiting list, unless you gain a charity place. Keep us updated if you enter.
19/03/2011 at 17:29
thanks for the answers - ill certainly be watching that program and buying the book.

I'm no ultra runner (yet) but i cant stop thinking about this race - it does seem to be closed for 2011 2012 so i was thinking about registering for 2013. it will be very expensive.

as for getting lost and having to drink your own urine, i hate ot when that happens.
20/03/2011 at 08:57
Robot, there's a good book by Steve Cushing about his training and taking part in the 24th MDS. Looking forward to the James Cracknell programme.
20/03/2011 at 12:10
this book seems to have taken a bit of a panning from reviewers at amazon: The Marathon Des Sables: Seven Days in the Sahara Enduring the Toughest Footrace on Earth

but the steve cushing book seems to be unavailable. anyone kno where i might find a copy?
20/03/2011 at 12:13

It may turn up on ebay at some point if you list it, and then you get an email letting you know. I personally would hold out for the steve cushing book. The author of the book I bought annoyed me from about page 2!
25/03/2011 at 09:31
thanks again to those who mentioned the program. i watched it last night and really enjoyed it - an excellent insight into the race. cracknells performance was incredible. maybe the added drama from the 'thermo physiologists' was a touch over the top though. one thing i would have liked to know was the actual times for each section. they didn't really go down that path.
25/03/2011 at 09:55

Mds Link

Robot here is a link to the book you want...i read it a few years ago..it reads more as a blog/diary then a "how to" guide....mostly covers his year before the race and only the last few chapters cover the race....he also hates anyone that walks in the event as well

25/03/2011 at 11:11
nice one flat footed - i just bought it from your link
25/03/2011 at 19:43
Watched the discovery programme, James is amazing, how can he push himself so hard?
25/03/2011 at 19:48
His achievement was good, I would have liked to see how he would have got on without all the flunkies carrying out tests on his body all the time.
25/03/2011 at 19:53
I think he would have done okay, he knows how to get the best out of his body.
25/03/2011 at 20:18
race looked incredibly boring; sand and sky for umpteen hours a day.

good program but commentary was OTT, he's an olympic rower with a team of scientists training/maintaining him. the guy he was 'racing' looked like a complete amateur

can anyone tell me why he was pouring lots of the water over his head rather than carrying it for a little while and drinking it later on?

26/03/2011 at 11:10
yes i did think it was a bit odd chucking the water around like that while the commentary was insisting he was on deaths door through dehydration. another thing about the commentary was the 'james has just 45 days to train for the toughest race in earth' thing - not mentioning he was already fit enough to qualify for the duathalon team.

but i suppose your average viewer needs this kind of added drama to keep them interested.
26/03/2011 at 12:00
Still interested in competing in it Robot?
26/03/2011 at 13:55
yes, even more so having watched the program
26/03/2011 at 15:50
Good luck in your preparation, I hope it comes off for you!!
1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.