marathon in autumn?

looking to run a marathon in autumn

1 to 20 of 50 messages
14/04/2011 at 13:03

Hi everyone!

I have just recently completed the Paris marathon and am already looking forward to antoher one in autumn this year

Do you have any good races to recommend in UK or Europe in mid to late October, latest first week of Nov?

A few potential ones which came up from my research are:

Frankfurt Marathon
Venice Marathon
Marseille-Cassis Marathon
Palma Marathon
Amsterdam Marathon

14/04/2011 at 13:13

Dublin?

For UK ones just use the race finder on here

14/04/2011 at 13:17
RunLiverpool marathon is on 9th October 2011.  I've entered as my first attempt at the biggun
14/04/2011 at 13:19
Mablethorpe 2nd October I think, flat course
14/04/2011 at 13:22
I would second the Dublin suggestion - great race, great atmopshere and definate PB potential - not too big and fairly flat.
14/04/2011 at 13:38

Amsterdam is great

They don't get much flatter, plus it's a nice city for a weekend visit.

14/04/2011 at 13:47
Isn't Luton in November now?
14/04/2011 at 15:29

So let's think... Amsterdam, Dublin.... no - Luton would definitely be my choice!  

One thing I've just noticed johnsmith - you refer to the Marseille-Cassis marathon, but I think you may be confused.

There is a Marseille to Cassis point-to-point at the end of October, but it's not a marathon, it's about 20 km.

There is the Marathon des Alpes-Maritimes, which is from Nice to Cannes.  That is in November, and is quite good (my OH did it a couple of years ago).  Any trip to Nice requires generous funding, though.

14/04/2011 at 19:38
Hmmmmmmmmmmm Amsterdam sounds tempting.  Might wait until next week to register in case I decide 'never again' after thisSunday....
14/04/2011 at 21:19
If you're going to do a UK Autumn marathon it has to be Loch Ness.....
14/04/2011 at 21:22
Or Snowdonia...!
15/04/2011 at 00:46
thanks everyone for the feedback!
15/04/2011 at 07:56
+1 for Dublin, did it last year - great atmosphere and a good course. On a Monday if that makes a difference
15/04/2011 at 08:39
Or Chester...
15/04/2011 at 09:19

Chester is in October and I am thinking of doing it.

I did Florence last year (late November) and it is a great place.

15/04/2011 at 09:24

Loch Ness - best marathon in the world.  Fact.  Stunning route, well organised, really friendly atmoshere, great goody bag & medal and post race recovery in Inverness.  what more could a runner want? 

I've heard very good things about Dublin and had to pull out of Snowdonia because of injury but entered it based on the reports of others. 

15/04/2011 at 10:12

Hi JS,

I did Paris last year. then went onto to do the Eden Project marathon in October...

It was perfect. Paris was flat, but Eden Project is hilly and challenging, so it's nice step up. Weather was great, scenary great, organisation good, and there's pasty n pint at the end.

it's a relatively new one, and not a PB course, but def one to try.

15/04/2011 at 14:13

Hi all,

I am also thinking of doing an autumn marathon. I'd liked to have done Berlin but I notice it's sold out/closed already.

I REALLY fancy Chicago and New York but the missus has vetoed that straight off. Which leaves Amsterdam, Venice or Athens. Amsterdam I don't fancy much, but Athens or Venice sound great!!

Anyone got any tips/experience of Athens or venice?

30/05/2011 at 12:26
I did Athens marathon last year on its 2500 year anniverasy. I absolutely loved it, so much so that I am doing it again this year. It's a challenging course though, with about 18 miles uphill. The good news is that the last 6 miles are on a slight downslope. Organisation was impeccable. The finish in the marble Panathenaiko stadium can bring tears in your eyes. I think it's a must for maranthion runners!
30/05/2011 at 12:39

I can recommend: Cologne. 2nd October and a great course to run (fantastic atmosphere and beer on route!). Organisers are great and helpful (even if you dont speak German). This will be my forth year in Cologne.

Alternatively - Brussels is also worth a shot. It's on 2nd October too, but definitely worth a look at. It can in places be a really tough course (slow long hills), but the support is fantastic. I've just run 20km there and although the organisers could be a little better - the actual run was lovely.

1 to 20 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.