Marlborough Downs Challenge

33 Mile Trail Race

21 to 27 of 27 messages
11/05/2010 at 16:12

No guarantees, I simply cannot resist a Jaffa Cake !

A word to the wise: Try to stay in front of Mr Guy, or at the very least (if he is eating) keep your fingers off the table.

You have been warned...

Edited: 11/05/2010 at 16:25
11/05/2010 at 18:07

Greetings. Just recovering from the Halstead Marathon on Sunday. Hope to be comfortably at the back of the pack for this one with an enlarged copy of the directions. I assume trail shoes are in order. I hope this is easier to navigate than the Fairlands Valley Challenge Marathon in Stevenage. 33 rural miles without markers - should be interesting !

11/05/2010 at 20:20

Sole man makes a good point. I think this is going to take me about 6 hours and I can't sit still for that long without stuffing my face!

I did Fairlands Vally last year and didn't find it too bad navigation wise... but I did just tag along with clever people who knew what they where doing and ocasionaly said "Yeah, I think your right"     

13/05/2010 at 17:47
Heyloooo - only just starting to get myself organised for this one. Hoping I don't get lost, but I also normally end up following clever people who know where they're going  doing Windermere the day after, so should be a fun weekend
13/05/2010 at 21:17

oooh hello Lizogical - met you at the Beacons Ultra and on that thread too!!  Look forward to seeing you Saturday ...  you crazy lady - that's quite a drive between the two!!

As for food - well I did it in 6 hours last year (was hoping for faster this year but tight hip since VLM s putting paid to that me thinks) and there was plenty. My worse moment was taking a rather large pear-drop and attempting to demolish it while going up one of the many inclines - couldn't breathe properly!!!  I managed to pair up with someone from 16 miles+ so we combined our efforts on the more confusing sections but think I would have managed OK anyway (she says very hopefully). 

Will be nice if it's a bit less breezy than last year ...

14/05/2010 at 10:46
Heyy cragchick - yess I remember talking to you before the Beacons Ultra & on here  I've really got into my ultras since Dec. Haha, I know...it's a bit of a trek, but Windermere was my first marathon last year & I really iked the look of this one too, so I thought, why not! See you tomorrow
14/05/2010 at 20:26
Good luck tomorrow everybody, hope it goes well for eveybody

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.