MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

261 to 280 of 1,728 messages
29/04/2013 at 21:19

Just signed up for Chester Marathon.....Walllllop....bring on the PB!!!!!!

30/04/2013 at 08:56

WW and Heow thanks for the heads up but others must have had the same thought process and all booked up - b*ll**ks. Anyway booked for the City centre Premier Inn last night as started to worry that everything would be booked up if I procrastinated any longer. Just hope that I can walk back to it after finishing!

Heow - from a bit of a lurker over on the P&D thread, but well done on your recent pb despite what you had to endure to get it 

Joel you know you made the right decision.

Edited: 30/04/2013 at 08:57
30/04/2013 at 11:17

Thank Lisa, I forget other people read other threads ha ha! I'll be doing it again for Chester but just 12 week one. 

30/04/2013 at 11:23

I'l be doing this one. Completed it last year in a miserable 6hrs 30 after having a d & v bug the day before. Completely hit the wall at 10 miles and ended up walking/crawling the rest. Thought the organisation was superb and even in the more rural bits there was still drink stations and cheering. I definitely have unfinished business!!! Will be aiming for sub 5hr so nowhere near as quick as the rest of you 

30/04/2013 at 12:18

Well...I'm running the half marathon in 12 days time...my first one! I ran my first ever 12 miles last night and my legs are pretty stiff today, that's for sure! Hobbling around like an old woman.  But I hope the atmosphere will get me round.

I want to run a marathon before I'm 30...that's August 2014...so, do I enter the Chester marathon in October? So scared!

30/04/2013 at 14:21

I'm in!

30/04/2013 at 14:27

Vicky - see how you get on in the half first.

A full marathon is a whole different kettle of fish though....first thing is really you need to be running at least 30 miles a week by June before starting any training plans...and after that you will be slowly increasing your mileage so by August you should be running at least 50 miles a week, with a weekly long run of between 15 and 20 miles.

So...either go for it and take the plunge, or just keep doing what you are doing, run more parkruns, 10k's, halfs for rest of this year and then sign up for a spring marathon or Chester later in the year.

30/04/2013 at 18:00

Go for it Vicky! 

Good luck in your first half marathon. If that goes well then you still have plenty of time to get in shape for a full marathon. I know a lot of marathon programmes have you running over 50 miles a week, but there are alternatives out there where the mileage is much lower if that seems daunting. This suits me much better as you only do 3 runs a week, but they are all a higher intensity. I follow the Furman First programme and have recently run very good pbs in 10ks and a half marathon. I will be following the programme for the full as well and I am expecting to run a pb at Chester. If I stay injury free anyway!

So I hope you do well in the half and then maybe give the full a go! The atmosphere will definitely help you to get through it.

30/04/2013 at 18:44

First is tough though - only three runs a week but all three are hard sessions, there are no easy (enjoyable) runs, and mixed up with that are two toughish cross training sessions. I have got that First book and have thought about using it...but haven't as yet. Just sounds a bit hard! Plus, I quite enjoy the easy recovery runs you get in P&D etc. Be interested how you get on with it for the full Neil. I have followed P&D for my last two marathons; was thinking of switching to another schedule or making up my own for Chester, but will probably end up following P&D but tweaking a bit.

30/04/2013 at 20:39

All three runs are tough with First, but I actually doing enjoy them more than easy runs. I think i must like pain! One reason this plan is suiting me great is because i've got a one year old that takes up a lot of my time & work etc, so running only three days fits in well. Also the runs finish quicker which suits me fine!

I must admit i've not been doing the cross training in between either, but sticking fully to the plan and paces has left me feeling fitter than ever. Will see how I go when I step it up for the full marathon!

30/04/2013 at 21:22

That is the big thing that tempted me to First and why I bought the book, time....and now you're tempting me again!

01/05/2013 at 00:13

My third this year and staying in Holiday Inn again )) Just did PB in Manchester 3:44:15 so considering next target???

01/05/2013 at 10:31

For anyone running Chester and planning on using P&D, or are interested in what the hell P&D actually is, there is a P&D Autumn Marathon thread in the training section and you'll get plenty of useful advice on there...

01/05/2013 at 22:05

15West- not sure how I am going to go about things this year- have used Pand D 80 regularly, but not sure this time.....

April stats? Tapering so.... 234.96m in 29.22.26 ( 7.30 av) 

Sun is shining here and my VLM recovery seems good, so made the most of it by rounding up some clubmates via FB for a sunny interval session on the track 6m in total with 5x 800s 2.40, 2.43, 2.43, 2.44, 2.44. Supposed to be off 90 sec recoveries, but a few were a bit longer- partly due to recovering from London no doubt, partly from running the first 400 at 5min pace! Oops! Lol! Still a good session in preparation for some short faster stuff in the next couple of months before the build up to Chester

01/05/2013 at 22:09

thanks for the pointer 15west will check out this P&D training plan , need a fresh approach to training as things have become stale.

01/05/2013 at 22:10

Hi folks, I have missed a bit in here, but will try to catch up. Hi HeOw, iseem to remember you from last year...... I am running lichfield half on sunday, really looking forward to it, a few undulations, but apparently no great hills!

02/05/2013 at 09:35

Hi Jason...long time no hear/read/write...not sure what I'm doing either. May make up my own sort've with less mid week mileage, a weekly tempo run, and a bit more on the long runs....but, still not sure yet. At moment I am still in recovery mode from London so 5 or 6 mile runs 4 or 5 times a week....

02/05/2013 at 11:23
Hi everyone, just after a few thoughts/opinions. Had a few real disaster marathons you see so trying to learn as much as possible.

1) what is the longest run people do

2) whats the longest MP run.

also would it be a good idea to try doing 20mile at marathon pace to see if its a realistic target, sort of like a benchmark. How do others know what there marathon pace is.
Thanks in advance by the way.
02/05/2013 at 13:32

Andy -

1). For VLM this year my longest run was 24mi, this is possibly OTT though and most people max at 22. I think important thing is to get 4 or 5 20+ milers in.

2) I followed P&D schedule (I increased the long runs by a mile or two) and my longest MP run was 20mile with 14 at MP. This was a tough session, 20mi at marathon pace would be even tougher and would need more recovery time etc.

I determined my marathon pace by setting my goal as a bit faster than my previous marathon...so I ran previous one in 2hr58 so set goal as sub 2.55 which is a 6.40 pace...thing is after all the training I was in better shape than expected and ended up running the marathon at ave 6.25 pace. So, you could either determine from a previous marathon or a previous half/10k/5k...and then determine what your realistic goal is and take it from there.

02/05/2013 at 16:19

andy- you need to balance the training stimulus with recovery- 20m at mp will take to long to recover from. My longest mp run is around 14 too. As for longest runs, usually 20-24 for me. I also fit in 1-2 medium long runs mid week ( a la P&D 80)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.