MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

281 to 300 of 1,728 messages
02/05/2013 at 16:22

I'm doing this, it will be my second marathon and doing it for a PB and more marathon experience!

02/05/2013 at 21:07

Hello all

This is my first marathon and I am petrified!  I ran a half back in 2005 and found that hard enough!

I'm following Hal Higdon's plan and am running 4 x a week, this weekend is my longest run (a huge(!) 5 miles).

Is there much crowd support on the way round?  I'm imagining lots of long empty lanes in the countryside.....

02/05/2013 at 21:34

Debbie- support in the villages is fab, as is the city itself. Out in the countryside between villages is quieter, but lots of fellow runners for mutual support  

02/05/2013 at 22:14

I really want to do this but it's such a massive trek up from london and accomodation and train tickets are not cheap.

02/05/2013 at 22:20

Khan- indeed.... i get the same issue with VLM every year!

02/05/2013 at 23:24
ThanksJason, 15west
I did have a look at the fetcheveryone.com pace calculator but the predictions are just silly. Marathon goal time apparently is 2:32:44 based on my HM pb. 2:33:41 based on 10k pb and 2:36:51 based on 5k pb. Will have to think some more about this one.
02/05/2013 at 23:36
andy the deestrider wrote (see)
Hi everyone, just after a few thoughts/opinions. Had a few real disaster marathons you see so trying to learn as much as possible.

1) what is the longest run people do

2) whats the longest MP run.

also would it be a good idea to try doing 20mile at marathon pace to see if its a realistic target, sort of like a benchmark. How do others know what there marathon pace is.
Thanks in advance by the way.

I've only done three marathons so am a bit of a beginner, but I do know everyone is different.  However, since you asked:

(1) This time I used Pfitzinger & Douglas (P&D) up to 55 miles, which was hard for me, though I really enjoyed it.  I tended to convert the lactate threshold runs to tempo runs and to skip the strides as I don't know how to do them.  I suggest at least 6 x 20 mile long runs.  In fact I made one of these into 22 miles and one into 24 miles.  The extra miles over 20 are a huge boost to confidence.

(2) P&D doesn't suggest very long tempo runs, I think the longest is 14 miles (plus warm-up and cool-down).  I did a 20 mile race 6 weeks before the target marathon at tempo and felt fine, finishing strongly.

In the last last couple of weeks before the target marathon I ran (except for one interval run) at recovery heart rate, and was still just about running at tempo.  Again a huge boost to confidence.

(3) I agree setting a target is hard.  P&D uses heart-rate percentages and I am now a big fan of that.  

On the day I did the first half at tempo for my super-stretch goal.  I then did a 5 minute reverse split so was absolutely thrilled.

Next time will probably be a disaster, but for now I'm a big fan of P&D!  I also suggest lots of abs and core and lots of stretching, to help stave off injuries.

03/05/2013 at 07:06

SGB - I am currently in the process of reading P&D and it seens to make real sense the whole training plan. I have decided to give the up to 55 miles plan a go. As it's my first full marathon it will be a pb anyhow, but it would be great to not feel like I have died at the end 

Debbie it will be my first marathon as well, really looking forward to it. All the race reports suggest that it is a friendly well organised race with good support, so here's hoping.

Khanivore, completely understand where you are coming from re: cost, but managed to convince hubby that we it will be a mini holiday - albeit with me not being able to walk for few days after!

03/05/2013 at 11:32

Lisa - Thanks. I hope you enjoy the training and the race. I haven't yet entered this, but hope to persuade my family!  I think if you follow P&D you should feel fine at the end. One point P&D make is that you have to be quite running quite a lot before even starting their 55 mile schedule!  I'm working my way back towards 35 miles a week after my last marathon, and hoping to avoid injury. 

03/05/2013 at 13:07

I don't think I have ever felt fine at the end of a marathon.

SGB - enter first, then tell the family...that's what I've done! (haven't told them yet).

acp
03/05/2013 at 13:17

I've never done that 15W.....!  **hangs head in shame**

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 13:17
03/05/2013 at 13:25

So, any of you planned any half marathons (or other distances) this summer? I am thinking Warrington in September...but quite like to do one in mid/laet August and all I can find is Fleetwood, but ideally would like one a bit closer to home (Manchester).

acp
03/05/2013 at 13:32

Lilleshall 10K on Sunday, Shrewsbury Half in June, RAF Shawbury 10K in July, Kenilworth Half in September - none of which are anywhere near Manchester!

03/05/2013 at 15:12

afternoon all, i'm really hoping to enter this one too.  Your recent comments 15W and ACP made me laugh - the reason I haven't entered yet is because I'm trying to find the right time to tell the wife I'll be out training all summer!  Anyone got any top tips for selling the idea to your family?  I figure Chester is a lovely place to spend the morning in while your OH is out on the course, and it must be at it's best in early October.

03/05/2013 at 15:29

Actually SS Chester is a nice place to spend a few hours..good shops etc., and kids activities and a kids race also.

With the training I don't know - it pisses my OH off a bit so I try and do it so doesn't affect them as much as poss...lunctimes during the week, early mornings etc etc. Dont' mention the training bit yet, start with the marathon, then enter, then mention that you will be out running for 10 to 20 hours a week....and err...good luck...

03/05/2013 at 16:03

Thanks 15W - if I even throw in a decent hotel (last couple of times its been the Travelodge) and get the training quietly under way in the early hours / at lunchtime before making the announcement then how can she object   You're right - key is to try and fit the training in when nobody's looking!

03/05/2013 at 17:24

15West- another trip to Lake Vyrnwy in Sept for me

03/05/2013 at 17:35

15W I don't expect to feel fine post marathon, would just like to finish not feeling like death 

My mileage per week is currently between 35-40 miles so hopefully the up to 55 mile plan will be manageable?

I have a few races lined up running London Bupa 10k at the end of May, Bewl 15 miler beginning of July and will probably run Henfield HM which is local to me in mid August. Must resist entering too many more though

03/05/2013 at 18:43
Edited: 03/05/2013 at 18:51
03/05/2013 at 18:55

I know that this run in mainly flat but could someone please confirm if any what miles are the hills? I know that if there are hills they arent that hilly  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.