MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

141 to 160 of 1,729 messages
17/01/2013 at 01:19

In again for my third Chester.

A really nice race. So well organised, & all marshals & staff are friendly & encouraging.

Great support for the slower runners too. The last runners are greeted by friendly marshals handing them a medal with a smile.

21/01/2013 at 20:14
That'll be me then. An achievement to finish I reckon. Last but one's a bonus
21/01/2013 at 22:28

Hi Steve.  The six hour time limit is for the road closures.  The sweep buses work their way round the course at six hour pace offering a pick-up, however, runners are still ok to continue but will be asked to proceed as prudent pedestrians and offered a hi-vis jacket.  The finish remains open and ALL finishers will get their medal, tech race shirt, goody bag, drinks, baggage etc.

22/01/2013 at 07:50
Thanks Chris H. I'll be proud of myself when I get round and hope to be well within the six hours but it doesn't hurt to ask
22/01/2013 at 13:22

Same here Steve, according the RW calulator I should be looking at something around 4:30, but just begging to panic about how much harder this is going to be than a half. As you say will be really pleased just to get to the end.

acp
23/01/2013 at 12:31

Finally got round to entering! Hoping for a much better experience than last year. Seems like ages away but it will be here before we know it!

27/01/2013 at 21:51
Nelly and Steve- still a long time away- plenty of time to train!
28/01/2013 at 07:14
I've also entered the Giant's Head marathon in June. Definitely mental, I am
20/02/2013 at 18:09

I am pondering entering this year, as my first marathon, but not looking to commit until April/May time. But am a bit worried that the cancellation of the Liverpool Marathon and the fact that the race was voted the UK's fav might mean its a sell out before then.

Are my fears grounded?

20/02/2013 at 18:41
I would think it will sell out fairly early.
I did it last year as my first marathon and can highly recomend it. Great race, great atmosphere and a lovely city to visit.
20/02/2013 at 19:46
Silverstone a week Sunday for my first fitness test of the New Year, then the Tavy 13 three weeks later
20/02/2013 at 22:44
Steve, a chap I know is doing silverstone, he did it last year, loved it. I am doi g Bath half the same day.
21/02/2013 at 06:53
Cool. I'm doing it so that I can name drop that I've run there. I'm hoping to fully run the race, however slowly. PB is 2.30.41 chip time, so I'd like to beat that, even by a second
21/02/2013 at 07:35

Scott I did bath last year it's a good race and the crowds are brilliant enjoy.

Warwick half on 17th March for me.

21/02/2013 at 08:39
I thought about the Warwick half NellyP but my accommodation option (my dad's in Warwick) is on holiday that weekend. My missus wants a holiday this year, so she declined an offer of a hotel stay
21/02/2013 at 14:03

Yeah I suppose at some point in the next couple of weeks I better tell Mrs. P the full story about our weekend away in Warwick 

21/02/2013 at 14:28
She also volunteered to camp out when I do the Giant's Head Mara in late June.
20/03/2013 at 13:54

NellyP & Scott, did you do your half's? I hear the parking and traffic in Warwick were a nightmare!!! I surprised myself with a 15 min PB @ Silverstone. Now down to 2.17.07. I have a HM in Tavistock on Sunday, but I think I have a slight calf strain, so I'll be running easy/walking it

20/03/2013 at 14:07

Yeah warwick was a good run, challenging (undulating!!!) but did a PB of 2:06:36, actually a bit dissapointed as I could have done better, in the last two miles I realised that I had lost a bit of fitness with not doing a lot of training over the last two weeks with my doggy hip. 

But overall I finnished with a PB so should be happy really.

Fortunately we travelled up the day before and stayed in a B & B so walked to the start and didn't have a problem with the parking but a lot of people did have problems with parking and were not allowed to start.

Biggest dissapointment for me was the medal (I know i lot of people don't go much for medals but I like to have them) it was a plan BHF medal with no mention of the event or date or anything, very disspointing.

Now going to have a couple of week total rest to try and get hip back in order, then planning a 5 mile in June & another half (possible Thames meander) in August ready for October.

20/03/2013 at 22:12
Hi steve, did Bath half, 9 minute pb, I was aiming for sub 1.45, and timed it perfectly, did 1h 44, 59 seconds, talk about close, really enjoyed it, although it was cold!
Doing Stanford Hall hslf on Sunday, so trying to taper this week.
The first 3 miles of the race are up hill, so not expecting a pb!
141 to 160 of 1,729 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.