Medals or no medals?

medals only for the higher placed positions?

81 to 100 of 185 messages
13/10/2012 at 12:12

I like to think I run for fun, I take part in many organised events because I lack the self-will to force myself to do 26 miles, so I enter them to push myself into doing it. When I finish and get a medal that I tell myself I don't need, I still really enjoy the feeling.

13/10/2012 at 15:56
lardarse wrote (see)
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I think Lol's post is the stupidest I've read this month.

Don't you read your own then?

I couldn't work out which post they were referring to, better not be mine

13/10/2012 at 17:49
My first mara tomorrow, seriously hoping I earn the medal. If I do I'll be darn well wearing it in the bath, to bed, etc... Not coming off
13/10/2012 at 18:56
greasygringo wrote (see)
Im a complete medal whore and only do runs with medals as on a mission to get 100 medals inspired by the legendary muttley.people run for all times of reasons and these reasons keep runners turning up at events.a lot of the big runs give trophies and cash to the top runners and a medal for the rest of us sounds a good deal for the hefty fee we pay out for some of these runs.medals are awesome and last linger then a tshirt!

they do if you don't keep them all together and one goes a bit rusty!

I used to be a complete medal lover. Now it's only when i get one at the end of the race I even realise the race gives one...

I do find people who select races just for medals slightly odd.

I get it to some extent, i can remember feeling gutted at finishing a really half marathon in 2002, utterly drained and not getting one.

However, you surely miss out on club series races where you pay about £2 and get a no frills but great little race.

14/10/2012 at 18:13

Hi Stevie G - you'd probably find me slightly odd!  I don't select races SOLELY on the basis that they offer medals - I will do them without, but I definitely prefer it if they do.  A memento is a must - few people can actually win a race or get a age category award, but everyone deserves recognition for taking part. That's a reason I like running events because they offer something to the elite, but also to the mass participant.  I have now won a couple of age category prizes, in both cases trophies (and cash/vouchers too) but I do like my medals.  I've had mugs from Guernsey and Shinfield and the Newton Abbot Ladies 10k offers a numbered picture to each finisher - your number corresponds with your finishing position.

What I don't like is when race organisers are coy about mementos and either don't say anything at all, or just say "memento".  Please tell us what we get - I don't like XXL cotton t-shirts!

I don't often do club series races except for the Runnymede Relays, but I am a regular parkrunner and of course you don't get a medal for those!

14/10/2012 at 18:19

PS I prefer chip timing but I have done lots of events without and don't really care.  I prefer club organised events to commercial events, as all I really need is a medal and a bottle of water at the end.  A chocolate bar is a great extra and I'll take chip timing if on offer.  But the most important thing above all is efficient results.  I didn't do it, but the Basingstoke half had its results up amazingly quickly.  Teignbridge Trotters also get brownie points for getting results up a couple of hours after the event - I've done 3 of their events (and that's without chip timing).  Other events which take days - you know who you are.  At the very least say on your website when you expect them to be ready.

14/10/2012 at 18:55

I think I prefer a "memento" than a medal these days. Not some crappy t shirt or mug, something with a bit of character.

The Victory 5 gave out mini golden boots engraved with the event and year a few weeks back. A perfect memento indeed.

Something of that size, that's engraved seems perfect, a paperweight, or that kind of thing.

A  big event you expect to get a medal though. I find them great for straight after the race, trutting round with it on, but after just gets lobbed in a box.

25/10/2012 at 16:39

What about some pictures of the medals people have collected? 

26/10/2012 at 19:48
Check mine out on twitter @martyngringo
27/10/2012 at 09:58

i love getting medals, makes it all worth while. im training for a marathon next year and it will be something to look back on in years to come

27/10/2012 at 10:55
I'm so pleased with my medal from the BUPA Great Birmingham Run and the t-shirt is not bad either.
27/10/2012 at 12:51
Bupa events are always top quality.done great north and great birmingham this year and will keep doin more.even the medal and goody bag from great south 5k i got a couple hours ago is brilliant.hope great south main run tomorrow keeps standards high
27/10/2012 at 15:06

I suppose we are all different in what we like, I like medals and momento's but never wear the T-shirts that I am given. I keep them but dont quite know what I am saving them for?

I did the Gurkha Trailwalker this year, 62 miles and its now my favourite medal by far!

I did the mini great south run with my 6 year old today, he has 6 medals now and loves taking them into school for a show and tell. All of his medals are up and displayed in the front room    

28/10/2012 at 12:16

A lot depends upon the type of event. 

If you are running the local 10k, then you might prefer that they don't give you a medal and reduce the entry fee by £5.00.

If you complete an event such as the Lakeland 100 or the GUCR, then you are going to want some sort of memento recognising the accomplishment, and it might be among your most treasured possessions. 

29/10/2012 at 09:51

I like medals, but I was v impressed with the memento given out at the Tadley 10 a couple of weeks ago.  It was a glass block, with a hologram of a couple of runners.  I have a running trophy now!!

29/10/2012 at 11:19

While I wouldn't say that I take part in an event purely for a medal, I do still treasure all of mine. I got a medal for the first 'official' run which I took part in - it was only a 5k but I was inordinately proud of that medal as to me 5k had seemed like a huge achievement. Now I have a full marathon medal and am ridiculously proud of that. I look upon the medals I now have with pride and they all have sentimental value - but maybe I'm just a bit too sentimental!

If medals were only given out to those who got below a certain time then that would very unfair to all those who trained very hard and didn't get below a certain time. I would have been very disappointed if I had not got a medal for my marathon purely because I had taken longer than 4 hours to run it. Shallow maybe, but I am pleased to have a memento to remember the occasion by!

29/10/2012 at 20:39
Tadley 10k medal sounds awesome.very jealous!great south and great south 5k were run at weekend and both different looking and great.a medal for a 5k is awesome!
29/10/2012 at 21:40
I've been running about 3 years and have done about 30 races. All have had medals, except one, and I love them all. I have them all on display so that whenever I see them I am reminded of all the hard work and dedication I've put in to this sport. I keep my numbers too. I don't care if the medal has cost 2p to make, for me it's what the medal represents: training, signing up, turning up and successfully completing the race.
29/10/2012 at 21:45
Yep i agree with you mr duffy.even duplicate medals are fine if thetes a different date and event name on the medal or ribbon.i got my 32nd medal at great south oyesterday so thats 25 for this year.im on a mission!
30/10/2012 at 01:29
Sarahson wrote (see)

What about some pictures of the medals people have collected? 

look at my avatar pic for my haud of medals although i may have to update it as i've done about 5 more races since i took that pic

81 to 100 of 185 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.