Medals or no medals?

medals only for the higher placed positions?

101 to 120 of 184 messages
30/10/2012 at 11:45

I don't see why the top 25% should get medals over anyone else. I ran my first ever half this weekend, I finished in the final 300 people... but I ran every step of the way whilst others walked, and although it took me 3 hours, I damn deserved that medal!! Also, I was on my feet for far longer than those who ran it in sub 2 hours, so really I deserved it more than they did 

30/10/2012 at 12:19
Rachel Dixon 8 wrote (see)

I don't see why the top 25% should get medals over anyone else. I ran my first ever half this weekend, I finished in the final 300 people... but I ran every step of the way whilst others walked, and although it took me 3 hours, I damn deserved that medal!! Also, I was on my feet for far longer than those who ran it in sub 2 hours, so really I deserved it more than they did 

Maybe they should give the last over the line a prize because they've had to be there the longest and fought the hardest?

I'm always humbled at races to see the people after me. I'm slow (4.55 marathoner) and still - when I see someone crossing the line at 6 hours and looking like every step is killing them - i'm amazed at the depth of motivation.

30/10/2012 at 14:11
Emmy_H wrote (see)
Rachel Dixon 8 wrote (see)

Maybe they should give the last over the line a prize because they've had to be there the longest and fought the hardest?

I'm always humbled at races to see the people after me. I'm slow (4.55 marathoner) and still - when I see someone crossing the line at 6 hours and looking like every step is killing them - i'm amazed at the depth of motivation.

Call me old fashioned, but I do tend to wonder why folk still want to do it when it cases them so much grief - i'm sure other sports have a higher % of participants who actually enjoy the sport! ...still appluad them mind.

Medals are pointless - least give us something we can use..mug, water bottle, hat, t-shirt. Had a great goody bag from the Thame 10k years ago with lots of cleaning stuff that lasted ages. Also 'crap' t-shirts are great, you can actually wear them running as they tend to be thin.

My dad's mate doles out bottles of sparkling wine at the end of the Poole round the lakes 10k on boxing day. Top goody bag, that

30/10/2012 at 15:06

For me - i look at it as they've chosen to do it and chosen to get their asses off the couch. I always think of the saying: you can choose if you want to be the lion or the mouse today - which do you choose?

I think everyone that steps up to a start line is a lion and deserves that recognition for trying, for putting in the training effort and for being 'a part of it'... whether they are slow or fast.

30/10/2012 at 15:28

Hear, hear Emmy - 100% agree.

30/10/2012 at 18:49

love the pic Zoe, how did u get your medals all lined up, have  you got hooks in the wall?

Emmy_H  i am slow, my fastest marathon to date is 5hours 12 and i consider myself a 6hour marathoner, and I remember my club encouraging me that just cos i'm slow doesnt mean to say that I am any less deserving of getting a medal or getting the recognition of completing a marathon as I have been on my feet longer

I love my medals and recently i had someone come to my house and asked who the athlete was ( as all my medals are hung on a picture frame ) I cant tell you how good that made me feel hahahaha

i also love sharing a new medal with my children too, as they love to see my new shiny medal when i get home which means they can share in my love of running too

30/10/2012 at 23:38

I have them on a bit of baton which is balanced on the photo

30/10/2012 at 23:46

ah may have to go and search for a baton lol, it looks really effective!!

31/10/2012 at 11:27

is muttley out there?can he post some of his medals individually or list runs that have medals if at all pos?cheers!

31/10/2012 at 12:39

Grr.... i lost my last post... fecking TWICE - lets try something different

i love medals - i agree. A friends son always asks: did you win today mummy and she always replies: i won my race today. That's the best that you can get.

Greasy - have a look at the race organisers website for info about medals

Edited: 31/10/2012 at 12:43
31/10/2012 at 12:49

its nice to have a medal, i have hundreds and love to look at them and remind myself of the races i took part in.

31/10/2012 at 13:07

if anyones loking at anyraces with medals then these are the ones iv found that do.i only run races with medals-i can buy mugs, food and drink at tesco!

paris marathon, great west run, plymouth h/m, totnes 10k, torbay h/m, dartmoor vale h/m (and also the 10k and marathon-but all the medals are same design), bath h/m, sports relief mile, taunton h/m, crediton crunch 10k, ottery 10k, british 10k, colyton rebel run, indian queens h/m, exeter 10k, forest flyer 5, torbay 10k, lustleigh 10k, great scottish run, great north run, bristol h/m, new forest h/m, teign valley toddle, plymouth 10k, sourton scramble, cardiff h/m, great birmingham run, great south run, great south 5k and newton abbot carnival run.

31/10/2012 at 14:01

Someone's already mentioned this site, which I've saved as a favourite:

http://www.running-memories.co.uk/standard-designs/my-race-bling-medal-display/ 

31/10/2012 at 16:49

Nykie thanks so much I am going to have to get one of those, i have to get the race bling one as I always call my medals my bling lol

Greasygringo thanks for all those races I've penciled the Great west run in already

Also races that do medals :- Coventry HM, Blackminster HM, Silverstone HM, Lydd HM, Gayton 10k, Telford 10k, Ironbridge HM, Cannock Rotary 10k, Much Wenlock Road Race, Wolverhampton HM, Bacchus HM ( my favourite medal to date ) 

31/10/2012 at 18:51
Nykie wrote (see)

Excellent - thank you so much ... and Crimble is on its way ...

31/10/2012 at 20:00
Zoe Windsor wrote (see)
http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/518389/gallery/medal.jpg?width=350

here are my medals, also some trophies which are my husbands. But the shoe was from the victory 5, something different!

The Victory 5 shoe was an excellent momento. I think i actually prefer momentos to medals these days, unless the medal is quality, and not one of these identikit cheapo versions

02/11/2012 at 08:45

I like the medal hangers - I think that'll go on my Christmas List

02/11/2012 at 13:49

I've had the thought that I'd just get a big clear vase and, when I got enough medals, I'd just drop them all in. That would look quite cool, but I am veering towards those more and more every time I look at them...

02/11/2012 at 13:51
Muttley wrote (see)
Nykie wrote (see)

Excellent - thank you so much ... and Crimble is on its way ...

But think how the dog would feel

02/11/2012 at 14:46
Hi if your local to preston and fancy a half marathon on the 20th of jan 2013 give the inskip half a try you get medal hat and a nice big bar of chocolate covers all bases and also hot pot for every runner.
101 to 120 of 184 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.