Medals or no medals?

medals only for the higher placed positions?

141 to 160 of 184 messages
14/11/2012 at 13:39
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I have a shelf full of medals and they all mean something to me, so yes looking at any one medal will make me think back to something from the race or training be that a new PB or a hard learned lesson.

On the look of medals I'm not fussed. Although it's clear to see some look better than others.

completely agree.  To your point about the 5th half marathon: i may not remember the training for that one but I remember the strength and determination that it took to do that race for the 5th time (e.g. 5th year in a row).

14/11/2012 at 14:29
David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

My 2pence ....... medals for anything other than say a top 3 achievement is a waste of time (and I say that as a backmarker by the way). These sorts of medals are what you hand out to children, not grown adults. I couldnt care less if I got a medal or not to be honest ...... alls I care about is my time and how I finished in proportion to the rest of the field. Its not like I sit there on a cold winters day with my medals around me, thinking 'ahhh, that New Forest half marathon where I finished 1456th out of 2687 runners ..... now those were the glory days!'

I agree word for word David.

14/11/2012 at 15:15

lets say youve done I dont know, 20 half marathons, are you really going to look at the medal for say the 5th half marathon you did and remember all the time and training you did for that particular one? Youre not are you .....

No I won't look back at a particular medal / momento / call it what you will. But when I've retired from running and I have a collection of 30 / 40 / 50 + then dead right I'm going to look at that collection and feel proud of what I've done. 

14/11/2012 at 15:18

I would say medals all the way! as most races still insist handing out t shirts Mens t Shirts, great if your a bloke, Rubbish for women! only ever had three t shirts I have worn again, two were the same club two years running! and as someone who keeps all numbers in date order and with times on, medals are easier to keep hold of!!

14/11/2012 at 19:23
Hellywobs wrote (see)

I've already posted on here a few times but I love getting a medal.  I was totally rubbish at sport at school and to get a medal feels like a real achievement to me.  I think if you are a good runner and in line ofr a prize or trophy you may not see the value in medals, but I really like getting them - and I prefer them to mugs or t-shirts or anything else (although I like the numbered pictures that I got from the 2011 and 2012 Newton Abbot Ladies 10k).  I have been lucky to win a couple of age category prizes this year (and a couple of bottles of wine as a team prize!) but I'll never be a really good runner and so I really appreciate getting a medal.  It may seem like pointless junk to some of you, but they mean something to a lot of people.

My favourite medals are the Fleet HM and Totnes 10k medals.

Edited to say - I think I may have raised this before, but some event organisers are really coy about saying if you get a memento and what it is.  Please be upfront and tell us on the entry form/website!

totally with u , i'm a plodder so i'm never ever going to win something for finishing in the top places, so every medal means something to me 

Hellywobs wrote (see)

I've already posted on here a few times but I love getting a medal.  I was totally rubbish at sport at school and to get a medal feels like a real achievement to me.  I think if you are a good runner and in line ofr a prize or trophy you may not see the value in medals, but I really like getting them - and I prefer them to mugs or t-shirts or anything else (although I like the numbered pictures that I got from the 2011 and 2012 Newton Abbot Ladies 10k).  I have been lucky to win a couple of age category prizes this year (and a couple of bottles of wine as a team prize!) but I'll never be a really good runner and so I really appreciate getting a medal.  It may seem like pointless junk to some of you, but they mean something to a lot of people.

Edited to say - I think I may have raised this before, but some event organisers are really coy about saying if you get a memento and what it is.  Please be upfront and tell us on the entry form/website!

Emmy_H wrote (see)
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I have a shelf full of medals and they all mean something to me, so yes looking at any one medal will make me think back to something from the race or training be that a new PB or a hard learned lesson.

On the look of medals I'm not fussed. Although it's clear to see some look better than others.

completely agree.  To your point about the 5th half marathon: i may not remember the training for that one but I remember the strength and determination that it took to do that race for the 5th time (e.g. 5th year in a row).

yes every medal i look at i remember all the training and determination and the actual run on the day 

Hellywobs wrote (see)
14/11/2012 at 19:26

grrr its not posted everything so i shall try again

Hellywobs wrote (see)

totally with u , i'm a plodder so i'm never ever going to win something for finishing in the top places, so every medal means something to me 

Hellywobs wrote (see)

Emmy_H wrote (see)
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

yes every medal i look at i remember all the training and determination and the actual run on the day 

Hellywobs wrote (

the best thing about me getting medals tho has to be my kids faces too, when i show them my medal, they are so excited about what i've done and that alone is worth having the medal as that is just priceless, its something that I love to see and gives me inspiration to run that race to get that medal and see how proud my kids are of me and hopefully one day to inspire them to take up running 

sorry to take up so many posts grrr to posting and either my pc or RW 

14/11/2012 at 19:54
Ha ha fair enough, each to their own I guess on this topic. I have no intentions of not giving them out on next years marathon but they just don't do it for me personally.
14/11/2012 at 20:21

I did well at Edinburgh this year! I T shirt I will never wear as a bad fit and a medal shaped like a willy! Always remember my first marathon thats for sure! just glad I never had my name and time printed on!!

15/11/2012 at 11:55
Green and white tigger wrote (see)

I would say medals all the way! as most races still insist handing out t shirts Mens t Shirts, great if your a bloke, Rubbish for women! only ever had three t shirts I have worn again, two were the same club two years running! and as someone who keeps all numbers in date order and with times on, medals are easier to keep hold of!!

Totally agree about the t-shirts!

15/11/2012 at 13:34

I like the idea of having different medals depending on finishing position or finishing time in a marathon.  They do this in the Comrades Ultra where there is a whole range of medals for different achievements.  It's a bit of added incentive to try to improve on previous efforts.

I frequently run 10k's, half-marathon's and the likes without picking up a medal.  I call them training runs.  When I race, it's nice to have some recognition of the culmination of some hard work I've put in to achieve that finish.

15/11/2012 at 19:32

So David - if you complete your first 100 mile event and are not one of the first three a medal would be meaningless?

15/11/2012 at 20:14
I'm not David but have similar thoughts about medals. I finished my first 100 mile event this year and didn't get a medal, not bothered though. I am still on a high some 4 months later and those memories will be with me forever, don't need a medal in the bottom of a shoebox to remind me. Again each to their own.
16/11/2012 at 16:11

Would rather have a technical tshirt I'll use again, than a medal I'll never really look at again (although I don't throw them away).

16/11/2012 at 18:51

The Collins complete and unabridged dictionary defines a trinket as "a small or worthless ornament or piece of jewellery".

That sounds like yer standard-issue race medal, imho ... can never get enough of them

16/11/2012 at 19:14

I notice an interesting gender split when it comes to which side of the debate people sit on .... anyways someone asked me earlier did I not want the medals to remind me of all the work I put in ...... but the thing is, lets say youve done 20 half marathons so far ...... do you really need to dig deep into the box, pull out the one for the 7th HM and think 'I remember this one, the training I put in there wasnt as tough as Im putting in now but it was still pretty tough!'

Youre not really are you? My point is you arent really going to remember the time and effort you put in, into each individual event as training etc really just blurs into one after a while. All I ever care about is the next race. The fact I can pull out a medal from 8 races ago and think 'Well im faster now than I was back then' kind of doesn't really tell me much.

Fine if you want a trinket, but lets not big up a 'medal' anymore than what it is. Thats why I think only the top 3 should be given a medal, and the rest of us really should just get what I would describe as a 'trinket'.

Coincidentally, I've done exactly 20 half marathons as per your example  (until Sunday...)

I'm not as fussed now about medals as I was when I started, but i definitely think longer events should have medals, when shorter ones don't really need them.

I'll never forget doing the 2002 Marlow half marathon, voted 5th toughest half in the country, and not getting a medal. Luckily some spot prize made up for it.

But you can't tell me completing an amateur level 5k ever needs a medal. (run for life series only maybe, as that's an entry into running event really).

As for people who refuse to do races that don't give medals, talk about limiting yourself!

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 19:16
16/11/2012 at 19:58

My point was that if you have done something really outstanding then some form of memento might well be merited.  Fair enough if you're happy to 'have your memories', but for others something more tangible proof is much appreciated - especially if you look an unlikely contender.

16/11/2012 at 20:03

"As for people who refuse to do races that don't give medals, talk about limiting yourself!"

That's me! Well over 100 medals to date and easily adding one a month so not limiting myself that much. The majority of events still do a gong.

16/11/2012 at 20:10
I'm still really proud of my first medal but not really bothered any more. If some races did different medals for different times like Comrades or Western States then I might start getting bothered again.
16/11/2012 at 20:26

Muttley, you limit yourself in the sense that you must mostly ignore cross country races and club series runs.

The type of races that are low key, low entry fee, and minimalistic.

For instance I do xc series races that cost £2 in the winter. No medals, water stations or any unnecessary guff given out at the end. Just as satisfying as any of your razzmatazz races.

You also miss out on well known races like the Marlow half, just because no medal. Seems an odd limiting factor!

From my experience, you're also lucky that you haven't yet done a race that promised a medal, only to receive a "memento".

Unless you check with each and every race organiser....

wait a min...

you don't do you?

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 20:27
141 to 160 of 184 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.