Mendip Muddle

13th Oct if you want a real challenge!

21 to 38 of 38 messages
Moe
13/10/2002 at 17:49
Well it's now gone 5.30, it's still raining (a lot!) where are you all, have you got lost on the Mendips, still drip drying or soaking in a nice warm bath? Well done all of you for surviving (if you have survived that is!).
Moe
13/10/2002 at 18:01
I just found the results (address below). Well done Lin & Stephen you survived!

http://www.westonac.co.uk/Muddle%202002%20Result.html
13/10/2002 at 18:19
Moe it was a great event. Shame about the awful conditions. I don't think I've ever run in such awful weather, my hands were frozen and I don't think my shoes will ever dry!

I was quite pleased with my run, considering the terrain! I twisted my ankles several times, but not enough to prevent me carrying on. Anyway there was no way I was going to stop on the Mendips, I was petrified of getting lost. Visibility was poor in places and I tried to hang on to a few guys in front so I didn't have to run on my own. It worked as I got back ok!

It was worth the driving for 1hr 45mins to get there, but I don't think I'd choose to do it again if the weather is like today or going on my own.

Well done Lin and Stephen. Lin was you the one I spoke to in the shower? I wasn't sure and didn't want to sound like a mad woman asking if I'd spoken to you on the internet!

Never mind, if it was you I'll know what you look like next time. I'm sure there will be a next time as I might be doing Brent Knoll.
13/10/2002 at 19:13
Moe when I tried to access the results I get a message saying I don't have access to Muddle results on my server.
I don't quite understand this as when I looked at last years results last week it was ok and now I can't even view them, I get the same message.
Could you or someone possibly email me the results?
13/10/2002 at 20:03
Heard the wind this morning and groaned - looked outside and saw the rain and groaned some more. Well done you guys - I can imagine what it was like up there today.
5 miles' cross country in Salisbury will have been quite tame by comparison but it was tough going, especially since the alternative would have been to stay in front of the TV with a beer or too and encourage Paula to victory. What a girl!
Well done!
13/10/2002 at 20:04
PS - Hilly - have e-mailed you about the results, or have you got them to work now?
13/10/2002 at 21:00
What a brilliant race this is - I must admit I thought we were all totally insane at the start, but once we got going I had a really great run and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was a bit annoyed to be pipped to the post, but found consolation in the food hamper prize!! Hilly - were you the lady with short blond hair who was having trouble with her laces? If so then yes we did speak in the shower! I looked out for your lumnous vest, but thought you may have decided to give it a miss as it was such awful weather and quite a journey for you. Catch you at Cheddar maybe? Moe - I hope you got really wet on your run! And who mentioned beer and telly, that's really cruel!
13/10/2002 at 21:27
Hilly, Lin et al.,
well done indeed for completing this one, sounds like quite an ordeal, but also seems like you had a lot of fun despite the adverse conditions.
CONGRATS
Moe
13/10/2002 at 22:13
Yes I did get very wet but I stayed on road and then only for 9.5 miles so I can't really empathise with you completely.
13/10/2002 at 22:43
Now that's eccentric behaviour in the very best of british tradition. Congratulations all, sounds horrendous and wonderful at the same time, the best satisfaction sometimes comes from the hardest conditions don't they.
My run was very nice and sunny thank you.
Hope your trainers dry out Hilly (unlikely, before April let's face it)
14/10/2002 at 18:48
Lin, yes that was me. Well done on your position, that was excellent running. You were a good 7 mins in front of me, I was 5th lady. I didn't hang around at the end. After I'd got my soup as I just wanted to get back.
Next time I'll make sure I bring someone with me. I'm not used to going to races on my own, especially so far away. Mind I didn't have any problem finding my way, it was quite straight forward.
See you at Cheddar. I forgot about that one. I know what you look like now so I will make an effort to say hello.

richk, thanks for emailing me about the results I managed to get them this evening. They must have been putting them on or something when I tried yesterday.

Laura my shoes had a good christening. They held up very well on their first ever run! Mad or what? I did get one small blister, but not bad considering all they ran through.
I'm glad you had a nice sunny run. I think sunny runs are going to be far and few between for all of us for a while now. Back to cold, dark and gale force winds!
Moe
14/10/2002 at 18:53
Nice sunny running today though eh?
14/10/2002 at 20:19
No running today Moe, my legs are a bit sore! Did some swimming instead-more water!
Moe
15/10/2002 at 19:56
I've been back at work, but I have Thursday, Friday off and it looks like the weather is getting a bit better again.
15/10/2002 at 20:21
A message to all marshalls at the Muddle. Thanks for standing in that awful weather for such a long time to allow runners the chance to experience the run. So often we take for granted doing races, yet without the support and time given by these people races wouldn't be possible. So many thanks!

I think winter has truely arrived!
15/10/2002 at 20:51
My thoughts exactly - if it was unpleasant on times running in that weather imagine what it must have been like standing around in it so i would also like to add my thanks to all the marshalls. Have also seen the results and well done to one and all in this thread for some excellent times. Can't say i really enjoyed the race this year as i did go a little over the top the night before in the 50th birthday party but made it to the finish just about still in one piece. Hope to make the Exmoor stagger but off to do the Amsterdam marathon with my wife this weekend so i'll have to see how i recover. Good running to you all
15/10/2002 at 23:29
Hilly - so sorry I didn't speak especially as you were on your own - I just didn't realise it was you. Why would I have thought you were mad? - we'd all just run 12 and a half miles in appalling conditions, so quite obviously we're all mad!! I can't believe you did that run in new shoes - ouch!
My thanks also to all the marshalls - I felt particularly sorry for the one by the trig point right up in the mist and completely open to the elements. I was also grateful to the third lady who very kindly unlaced my shoes in the shower when my fingers just wouldn't do the job - how sad is that?!
Stephen - good luck in Amsterdam and hope you make it to the Stagger - I'll be there and hoping for a good run as it's part of the Somerset Series.
16/10/2002 at 16:28
Stephen good luck to you and your wife in Amsterdam!

Lin it's ok I didn't realise who you were either until the 3rd lady mentioned you were called Lin when you'd left the shower.
It's strange in running I tend to remember the names of people who may have run in the same race as myself but often don't know what they look like and then in 'normal' every day activities I remember someone's face but not their name!

I know what you mean about the shoe laces, you may recall I too had difficulty with mine. I think I used my car key to dig at them. I was even cold driving home and I had the heating on in the car.

I know I was mad wearing new shoes. However, I've worn the same shoe in the past and never had a problem with them, so thought I'd break these ones in in one run!

Hope you have a good run at the Stagger. It's a great race. Look forward to reading your report after!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.