Mersey Tunnel 10K

1 to 20 of 662 messages
16/01/2009 at 12:51

I wanted to do this race last year, but never got round to it unfortunately, but this one is definately a 'to do race' this year for me.

Any previous runners recomend this race?

Living on the Wirral myself (wallasey) i'm looking forward to running through the tunnel, and hopefully the weather is nice for a good finish in New Brighton.

16/01/2009 at 12:58
Did it last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. The bottom of the tunnel is at about 3k and then it is quite a hard pull up the other side. After that it is pretty flat and you end up running along the prom from the ferry terminal. Good finish if the weather is kind (it was last year), could be a nightmare if the wind is in your face. Air quality through the tunnel was no problem but it did get a little warm (probably due to the climb up and out). Will do it this year.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
16/01/2009 at 16:09

Bloody loved it Jay!

Highlight was the firemen at about 7k with their hoses out.....

28/01/2009 at 16:57

Hi I got into running purely so that i could do this event, at the moment I am comfortably running 5k's should I build up to the 10K, or should i throw caution to the wind and just run it

28/01/2009 at 19:04
I dont think it would do you any harm in building your way up to 10k, maybe not the full 10k but at least more  than what you're doing at the moment.
28/01/2009 at 19:37

This is one of the best in my opinion. How many races are there with a course including a tunnel like this, it must be unique? Great atmoshere in the pack inside the tunnel as well. The climb out of the tunnel is not too grim either although there's a short sharp rise as you turn left just after coming out of the tunnel. Lovely run along the river, then after the race it's free Merseyrail travel back to Liverpool for a couple of pints.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
28/01/2009 at 19:40

I felt sorry for anybody who WASN'T a runner on the train back......

It smelled! But we didn't care!

28/01/2009 at 20:54

hehe well i live in wallasey so i'll be staying on that side of the water when i finish.

Though i can imagine the train smelling pretty ripe on the way back

LIVERBIRD    pirate
29/01/2009 at 10:24

It was a bit choice, yeah, but everybody was chatting and the camaraderie was brilliant!

And it was raining in Liverpool and not in New Brighton!

29/01/2009 at 10:52

I'm just getting back into running at the moment, but i'll probably start adding a kilometer a week and build up that way. I'm really starting to look forward to this now, me and a couple of other lads set this as our new years resolution so should be good

This may be a stupid question; but are you allowed to run with an iPod? cos I use that Nike+ and i find it helps me not run like a bat out of hell for the first mile or so. Not sure if it will mess with the tag timer.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
29/01/2009 at 10:55

People do, but you'll lose a lot of the atmosphere if you've got phones in your lugholes. I hate them in races, especially 5/10k's but that's a personal preference.

You'll run the first mile quickly anyway - it's into the tunnel and downhill!

cougie    pirate
29/01/2009 at 11:28
It never rains on the wirral!
Chubby - you will prob run better without the ipod then - no point in battering yourself for the first mile and dying for the last five !
29/01/2009 at 11:34

Chubby, you'll have no trouble trying to motivate yourself while running in the 10k.

It has been known to rain on the wirral, there was a brief drizzle this morning

29/01/2009 at 12:44
Cool, i'll leave the headphones off and just keep it for the splits. I'm liking the fact everyone is calling me chubby, kind of motivates to go out tonight and go for a run lol
29/01/2009 at 13:50
Heheh, well maybe in a few months you'll have to change your username to something like "the artist formally known as ChubbyRunner"
LIVERBIRD    pirate
29/01/2009 at 14:10

It was as dark as hell in Liverpool at noon. I had the car lights on!

Back in Warrington and the sun is shining!

29/01/2009 at 14:52
Maybe, but there still something "not quite right about people from Warrington" lol
LIVERBIRD    pirate
29/01/2009 at 14:53

Explain yourself Master Chub!

*puffs up chest*

29/01/2009 at 15:02

Oh know I've been on here a day and I'm making enemies!!

I'm from the Wirral so we're used to getting it in the neck!

Please accept my aplogies

29/01/2009 at 15:23

Chub where about in the wirral?

I'm located in Wallasey

1 to 20 of 662 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.