Mersey Tunnel 10K

81 to 100 of 472 messages
30/03/2010 at 19:51

Hi All just popped in to say hello, doing the tunnel 10k first race ever, well since cross country in school long time ago, just done my first full 10k training run at around the 1hr 2 minute mark, looking at some of the posts would this be an acceptable time don't want to look a newbie and come last.

Cheers Paul

Edited: 30/03/2010 at 20:01
30/03/2010 at 23:00

Hi Paul last years tunnel was my first ever road race and I completed in 65 minutes which I considered good enough for a first attempt.  Since then I have been truly bitten and have competed in the Liverpool Triathlon, the santa dash and the Half Marathon last weekend.  Now in training again for the tunnel (have to go back to where it began) 62 minutes is more than acceptable and given the timing of the race from now you will definitely improve on that.

Cheers  Chris

31/03/2010 at 09:13

Paul, I totally agree with Chris - 1 hour ish is a great time and you will not be last for sure.

Last year I finnished this in 1 hr 6 mins in heat of 35 degrees - so not bad. It's a good run and last year had some great crowd support which always helps - you will be fine

LIVERBIRD    pirate
31/03/2010 at 09:21

35 degrees?

Fahrenheit?

It was warm, yeah..... but nowhere NEAR that.

31/03/2010 at 09:26
Hi thanks for that made me feel a lot better, just looking out the window at a very wet and windy liverpool, not sure this is the right weather for a newbie to be running in lol
31/03/2010 at 20:53
Congratulations to everyone who ran the LIverpool half on sunday, i'll be running it next year hopefully!!

Preparations for this race though are on hold for the moment because of a slight niggle in my knee which is rather painful when i run   won't last long hopefully!!
01/04/2010 at 09:24
Yes Congrats might even join you next year. (oops did I say that out loud)
03/04/2010 at 11:35

Paul, I would not worry about becomimng last, as there is no chance of that happening. . Firstly your time is good and I will definitely be behind you. I am Liverpudlian  but have lived in East Anglia for last 31 years. However when I saw there was a run through the Mersey Tunnel I was intrigued and have now entered. I always used to hate running in my youth. However I had a hip replacement 2 years ago and started running then to get fit and now have the bug. started the wrong way round in that my first official run was a half marathon last October to raise money for MS.  Unfortunately I damaged my achilles and it took me 2hours 50 minutes. There wre 35 people behind me, so I was pleased.

I have just started running again and ran official 5 mile run 3 weeks ago which was cross country. Small entry of 110 and I was 7th from last, but the last male . I ran 54 minutes 26 seconds which I was happy with. Yesterday I ran another 5 mile run with over 500 entrants. This time 76 behind me and a time of 52 minutes 3 seconds.

I always start near the back as I know that is where I will be , but I have enjoyed every run I have done. 

LIVERBIRD    pirate
03/04/2010 at 14:11
Nothing wrong with being at the back Paul. You don't have to deal with the pillocks trying to trip you up nearer the front!
MS7
05/04/2010 at 16:06

I have just posted my entry for this.  Having completed the liverpool Half marathon and very pleased with myself. 

I have been looking at the incline on the way out of the tunnel. I have one longish! hill near my regular training runs, its 1.1Km with a steady rise of about 63M, which i make out to be a 5.5% incline.  If i can deal with this would that put me in good stead for the incline out of the tunnel.

Thanks

06/04/2010 at 09:48
MS7 - i think you will find the incline is not as difficult as you imagine.

Alan
MS7
06/04/2010 at 10:11

Thanks Alan.  I would much rather be pleasantly suprised,

06/04/2010 at 10:20
MS7 - When I ran it last year, I was surprised that the incline wasn't as steep as I thought. Now if Alan can just turn the heat down this year, I mean, that sun was just too hot last year. If you don't turn the sun down this year, I will just have to write to my MP (just read about the water complaint for the half).
06/04/2010 at 10:22
AS ever, I'll see what I can do. Can't promise.

Alan
06/04/2010 at 10:39
I was a first timer in the tunnel last year too and the incline wasn't that bad, but the run along the promenade was a killer in the sun.

(I think I was a delicate shade of puce by the finish line )

But still improved on my PB from the Manchester 10k two weeks earlier.

Will hopefully be there again, but just need to see how manic work is, it's a great race
Edited: 06/04/2010 at 10:47
06/04/2010 at 13:16
Just entered this one. I seen the pics in the Run Liverpool mag and thought it was a must do race and 2 weeks after the Manchester 10k is great timing.

Kerry
06/04/2010 at 15:44

L/B - well maybee not 35 degrees but all I know is it was flippin swealtering but the tunnell provided some nice shade along the way.

Just had 2 weeks off running and hit the treadmill last night to do a 10k and was a little dissapointed - 1 hour 2 mins so I need to get back into it big time as I have 2 x 10k's in May and have to get under 55 mins this year.

11/04/2010 at 07:53

Hi folks,

I have only had a brief look at this one and I really fancy it, but how do you get from the finish back to your car ? ...... is anything laid on or is there any other option besides taking 2 cars ??

Can anybody tell me please

11/04/2010 at 09:51
You can get back on the train. I think I am right that runners get free merseyrail travel back.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
11/04/2010 at 16:53

http://www.ftadviser.com/FinancialAdviser/20091022/Supplements/CMS_FTA_ROOT/cms_assets/images/FTAdviser/Images/Logos/Top100.jpg

81 to 100 of 472 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.