Mersey Tunnel 10K

141 to 160 of 472 messages
JPenno    pirate
01/05/2010 at 09:36

Chris and Ms7 - whilst it will work by trying to increase your speed over a set course, you are really limiting your training.

If your run the same 10km route every week, you will eventually get quicker, but you need to vary your training, ideally you should run atleast three times per week, one long steady run, if your doing 10k races then this run should be around 15k, dont worry about time taken your building an endurance base. the other runs should be one 10k at your pace and then a shorter faster run say 5k

The idea is to build a pyramid with your training with the endurance on the bottom to build the pace and speed from, without endurance you cannot add speed.

JPenno    pirate
01/05/2010 at 09:36
I would also try to find a big hill to get some training in as that climb out of the tunnel is longer and steeper than it seems in the car!
01/05/2010 at 09:40
I sometimes use the his round Everton Valley and the public spaces round there. Plenty of different gradients to play with.
01/05/2010 at 16:19

Cheers for the advice everyone.  I'll definately be taking it all on board.  Had a huge blister problem on my run last night but this was before I'd seen the replies. 

Thanks.  It's really great of you to take the time to get back to me.

Chris

02/05/2010 at 14:06

Great persavearance (?) Chris - soon the blister thing won't bother you too much & your stamina will build - keep it going.

L/B - love the arse thing - will have to try that one next time - problem is they have usuallt sped past me in their crappy old cars with hand painted stripes and alloys which dont fit - for these the finger will have to do

Have a 9 miler tommorow (14.4km) Haughmond Handicap Chase - looking for a time of under 90 mins & I'll be happy given the rain here at the moment - will do a short report Monday evening if I do well

Good luck on LSR's and anyone else racing

03/05/2010 at 12:17
Right, just entered after a lot of umming and ahhing!!As a newbie I needed my next challenge to keep my motivation. Just ran my 1st half marathon in Sheffield last week.I didn't run for a week afterwards and then thought I could take on the world with my next 5 mile run. It was not as easy as I thought!!! So back to the proper training schedule and eating plan  Good luck all and any advice is very much appreciated.
03/05/2010 at 17:50

Chris,

don't worry too much about times, if you are already staying for a 10k distance you won't have any problems and definitely will not be coming in anywhere near last. 

Re the blisters I echo all the comments on here regarding the correct socks.  However it may be worth checking that you have laced and tightened your trainers properly & have the correct size daft comment I know, but take it from someone who learnt the hard way on this for years I thoght I was a size 10.5 and it turns out I am a 9!!! so new trainers invested in last year and hey presto blisters disappeared.

I too am not the most slim person in the world the fondness for burger, beer and football tends to push training out the way a bit but I have to say since taking up running although the numbers haven't decreased that much I deffo feel fitter and faster.

Good luck to everyone in training for this one and Alan can you please make sure the prom wind machine and heat lamps are turned off please

MS7
04/05/2010 at 08:47

Thanks JPenno, will definately take that on board.

At the moment i am doing three runs a week 10k, 7k and 5k.  Will see if i can up this to 15k, 10k and 5k.

Thanks.

04/05/2010 at 10:04
On around 1,500 entries at the moment so keep 'em coming in. Need another 700 or so to match last year.

Alan
04/05/2010 at 13:28
Just been out on the course. Weather is brilliant on the promenade. Here's hoping for a good day on 30th.

04/05/2010 at 14:22
Signed up today.Now all I need to do is try to run again for the first time after VLM
04/05/2010 at 19:34
Just signed up. Hoping to do this one in under an hour
06/05/2010 at 15:51

I have not done a run before, I have recently come over an injury and been treadmilling it and getting into road running. Just a question, is this race good for first timers??

Any info would be great thanks

06/05/2010 at 21:21

James - simple answer is yes this is a great race for first timers, great atmosphere and apart from the climb out of the tunnell the reat is pretty flat as far as I can remember.

I would try to get used to road running as much as poss as some find it harder, some like me find it easier to run out & about - much more intersting anyway.

The crowds and other runners will spur you along and the "oggy oggy oggy" in the tunnell is good fun too !!

Hope training is going well for everyone.

My 9 miler was great on Sunday - mainly forest paths and severe hills - plenty of mud / fallen trees & dogs ! Had a brilliant time and managed to pace myself accuratly for the first time ever - finished at exactly 90 mins so I was happy - just need to work on my speed now.

Next race Sunday (Muller 10K in Market Drayton) with a free case of Muller products when you finish !!

07/05/2010 at 12:54
James - Last year, this was my first proper race in a very long time. All I can say is that I loved it.

I agree with Shrek. Try to get as much road running in as you can as it is so different to running on a treadmill.

Hope to see you there.

Shrek - Well done on the 9 miler.
08/05/2010 at 12:31

Hi All,

Any ideas when numbers and other stuff will arrive?

Is this run chipped or do you have to time yoursef?

Cheers

Bulldog

09/05/2010 at 19:41

Ok - After running the Muller 10k and getting a PB today of 58 mins - exactly where I paced myself to be - second race this week and dead on my anticipated pace - this pacing thing really works

Antway - this race is my next on my calendar so am already getting excited about it - hope race numbers etc will arrive soon ? Bulldog 37 - this was a chipped race last year so I assume it will be again. Always good to time yourself as a back up !

09/05/2010 at 20:20

I know its been mentioned above, but is the travel across city  and meeting up with family etc  after the race simple?  Will there be details in teh race pack about recommendations for parking etc.  I am looking forward to this but entered without really thinking about it! Am not from Liverpool and now I think I need a plan!!

09/05/2010 at 21:06

Catherine,

Good questions, especially as it's a point to point run.

I did read on here that the trains are free, so I was wondering which is best. Park at the finish and get a train to the start or park at the start and get a train back after the race?!

Anybody have any good advice?

10/05/2010 at 12:37
As far as I know, the race numbers should be going out this week.

I get the train back to the start as it is more convenient for me to have my car on the Liverpool side. It all depends where you are going after the race. The train was very crowded last year, but not a problem. Just loads of sweaty people packed tightly together in a big metal box when the weather was REALLY hot.
141 to 160 of 472 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.