Midnight Sun Marathon 2009 - 20 June 2009

Midnight Sun Marathon 2009 - 20 June 2009

141 to 149 of 149 messages
07/06/2009 at 17:45
Hi all, sorry I haven't been around for a wee while. Who is still doing this? I can't run as I have had surgery this week and will not be fit to race but I am still going. I am flying to Oslo on the 15th to stay with family and then on to Tromso on the Friday. My cousin is running the 10k and a few friends are doing the half. I would love a get together if anyone is up for it on the saturday but will be cheering you all on regardless! Hope someone checks this before the big day......best of luck all, Carol x
08/06/2009 at 20:59

Its not far away now and thought I would add a bit to this. I'm going again this year (5th time) and looking forward to the run - the route is scenic and flat (round the coast road most of the way apart from a little hill over the bridge (is it 400m in a km climb? - feels like it). So certainly PB potential.

Just wondering who is defenatly going and when you are all arriving. I'm going alone this year so would be good to have some company somewhere in the weekend/.

I'm going on a round-about route from Edinburgh via Copenhagen and Trondheim - arriving just past 9 in the evening on the Friday. The way home is worse via Heathrow ! I'll be staying in the Thon Polar hotel - right on the route (in the first 200m!) so if any one fancies a beer then let us know

Twinksy - I'll look forward to seeing you cheering me on. Will you still be there on Sunday morning or is the cheering part of the deal just for those of use finishing on the same day we started?

10/06/2009 at 18:24

Hi Steve!

I will be arriving in Tromso on Friday 19th at about 2pm and will be leaving on the Sunday about 9pm ish and we are staying at the Quality Hotel Saga. There will be myself, my dh and my cousin and her dh and some of their friends from Oslo (not sure how many), so there will be plenty in the cheering on team! Even for those still running on Sunday! If you have been to Tromso before Steve perhaps you can suggest somewhere to meet up. The more the merrier!

11/06/2009 at 23:27

I can't remember the names of all the pubs, though the Rorbua was OK (had to google it) during the day and a sunday morning drink (of tea!)(haven't managed to drink there at night - had a run to do you know), and while I was on google I saw the view from the bar in the SAS radisson which is quite central - not abd but I am not sure if you have to be a resident to drink there. Either of them are OK I think.

During saturday I guess the place where they give out the numbers is a good place to meet - its sort of central and we have to go there anyway, or even meet there friday evening?

Don't know what you think?

jellybabe (M.)    pirate
12/06/2009 at 01:29

hi

just picked up on this thread, did this race 3 years ago, mainly flat, beautiful scenery, bizzare running at 1 am and the sun still shining

support was sporadic especally the 2nd half, but early on in the evening families come out and cheer you on.

the finish is in the town with the youngsters out on the town

norway is expensive to eat drink and shop, if you are there long enough try and do a glacier walk, an amazinf experience, goto tourist info for details

take a trip up the cable car too

13/06/2009 at 11:29
Steve, I know your flight doesn't get in until late ish on Friday, so how about 10pm Friday at the kulturehusset (sp?) (the place where you get your numbers). If it's too late or you don't make it on Friday we will try again Saturday morning about 10am. Is this OK? I have short bobbed red hair just so you know who I am! Another one of our party has dropped out from the run so there are more Cheerers on now than runners! I am leaving for Oslo on the 15th so will check this thread before I leave. If anyone else wants to meet please post, all welcome!
JF
13/06/2009 at 18:58
Hi Steven / Twinksy, I'm travelling up from Oslo on Saturday morning and leaving on Sunday morning, staying at the Radisson.  I'll probably waddle round the half although I haven't entered yet.  Doesn't give me much time but there were plenty of pubs still open when I finished last year.
17/06/2009 at 21:13

Steven,

I'm definitely going and also staying at the Thon Polar hotel too.

22/06/2009 at 22:43
Where was everyone??? Hope you all had a good race.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 149 of 149 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.