Midwinter Marathon Apeldoorn

Midwinter Marathon Apeldoorn 3-feb-2013

21 to 29 of 29 messages
28/01/2013 at 14:37
I recently saw a video on YouTube where the race chairman claimed that the Midwinter Marathon was, after Athens, the second most difficult marathon in the world on account of the deceptive inclines. I've since had a reaction from him via Twitter (albeit rather unclear) after I asked him what he based that opinion on and he admitted he'd made a mistake in what he said.
  I spend a bit of time on a Dutch forum (please don't think that I'm Dutch) and have tried to gauge the reaction of people who have already run in Apeldoorn. Nobody said it was an absolute killer, but I have been told that there is a total incline of about 225 metres.
28/01/2013 at 15:24

Well, that sounds awfully flat compared with a lot of the marathons that I've run.

I do know someone who ran it last year and who said it was -15C. That's a bit nippy, even for a Geordie !

28/01/2013 at 16:59

This time next week we will know all about it.  Looking at the wather forecast, it looks like it will be about 3-4 degrees.  So hopefully nothing like -15.

Anyone any idea how many entries they normally get for the marathon?

28/01/2013 at 17:42

Last year it looks like there were about 440, which seems a reasonable number for the time of year.

3-4C ? Positively balmy

29/01/2013 at 10:19
Steve2012 wrote (see)

This time next week we will know all about it.  Looking at the wather forecast, it looks like it will be about 3-4 degrees.  So hopefully nothing like -15.

Anyone any idea how many entries they normally get for the marathon?

The Asselronde (27.5 km) is fairly popular. It starts at the same time and follows the same course as the marathon for practically its entire distance, so I expect it will seem as if there are many more than a few hundred running the marathon for quiet a while.

29/01/2013 at 11:33

That is good to know.  Better watch I don't get caught up in runnning at a pace with guys only doing the 27.5Km.  Then finding out as they head for the finish line that I still have 15 KM to go

05/02/2013 at 11:12

What a great event.  It was a lovely route.  I would definitely like to do it again some time.

05/02/2013 at 11:51

It was great wasn't it? I really enjoyed it and at least the rain stayed off until the second half. I'm pretty sure I'll be back again as well.

19/11/2013 at 13:42

This race has really got my interest but it has a very keen cutoff of 4:30! Any of you folks entering again for 2014?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.