Milton Keynes 2014

561 to 571 of 571 messages
08/05/2014 at 11:50

Scott/Kelvin - have either of you done Bournemouth before? If so, what's it like?

08/05/2014 at 11:55

Nope never done Bournemouth before sorry Neil, Milton Keynes was my first. Looks like it is a nice flat course though so great PB potential and looking at last years winning times gets some very good international talent 2:16 was the winners time

08/05/2014 at 11:59

I was under the impression that last year was the inaugural event? 

08/05/2014 at 12:00

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/ratingsall.asp?P=2&ugn=12896&en=76537&year=0&v=1&sp=

Here are the reviews from last year- a mixed bag really and lots of people annoyed as only the top 10 in each category got their results posted online. It was the first year this event was run so expect much to be improved this year, although it is quite costly!

08/05/2014 at 12:15

Hmm I'm a bit tempted by Chester which gets some fairly good reviews too.

08/05/2014 at 12:29

Bit too far away for me really, Chester is meant to be a very good marathon though

08/05/2014 at 15:33

I shied away from Bournemouth as the event was organised by the same crew of the Kilomathon I ran in 2012, plus due to the cost.  Just my preference really.....

08/05/2014 at 15:58

I did Chester last year and it was way, way better than MK - despite its 'hills' which at least were proper up hill slopes that went on for a bit and then a nice long downhill afterwards and some beautiful views.  Much better organised too - proper starting pens and prominent pacers - and the parking so smooth.  Had a nice race village atmosphere with stalls etc at the racecourse and showers afterwards in the jockeys changing rooms (it starts/finishes at Chester racecourse).Also - not the reason to do it - but the best race shirt I have even been given - long sleeved - and Haribo in the goody bag!  I've only done 5 marathons but MK by far the least enjoyable - really boring route but the marshalls and water stations were fantastic and the cycling paramedics a good idea.  I do like a bit of interest though and some nice views!

08/05/2014 at 18:33

I don't know how people can say the bournemouth marathon is expensive when the MK marathon was possibly even more so and no T-shirt with the MK run.

I think the only race fee I find unacceptable is the great runs. I mean £41 for the great south run. Get stuffed it's only 10 miles.

I'll shut up now as race prices have been frequently debated on here.

MK will always be my first marathon but hopefully not my fastest.

08/05/2014 at 19:27
Anyone know how the NSPCC MK Half works out from an undulating underpassy point of view?

I'm already entered, and see from previous reviews that there is a bit of underpass action. Just wondering quite how many are involved.
09/05/2014 at 08:43

I haven't run it on a while, but if it's the same course, there is the same issue with underpasses, with more bollards hazards I seem to remember. Plus a nasty bridge over the canal around mile 11 I think. And the finish is uphill. So much flatter overall than the marathon, but not as fast as you'd think at first glance.

However, it is in my opinion the best (most scenic) course of the races I've done in MK. Well organised and friendly event as well, I enjoyed it every time.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
561 to 571 of 571 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.