Milton Keynes Marathon

1,221 to 1,240 of 1,329 messages
01/05/2012 at 11:07
MarkD - my Garmin read 26.6 miles. It generally reads "long" in all races.

I believe the second official mile marker was short and corrected again at mile three. I was taken aback when I "corrected" my garmin at the eight mile marker, because I had run for a further three minutes since my garmin had registered eight miles. This knocked my confidence in the pacing (though now I know the difference was mainly due to the diversion at mile 6/7).
01/05/2012 at 11:07
As a guide the Milton Keynes half marathon in March 2011 recieved a grading of 0.8. The Watford half of the same year hot a grading of 0.9 and that's described as an undulating course
Edited: 01/05/2012 at 11:15
01/05/2012 at 11:17

My photos confirm that I looked as rough as I felt.

A top tip for those who suffered with queueing for bags at the end - be slower. By the time I reached my trailer there were hardly any bags left and mine was easy to find.

01/05/2012 at 11:24
I think I was also lucky with bags as I was probably one of the earlier 'yellow pen' finishers so there wasn't anyone else at my truck. Good job as I was really struggling with the cold. The reports from Manchester sound terrible.

Two days off - already looking forward to getting out again. think I may give the legs another day or two off.

What are other peoples plans for the next few months? For me I think it's time to work on my speed over 5 and 10k so I'm going to start hitting my park run and doing some speed work. I feel like I have at least a 3.45 marathon in me so want to aim towards that next year.
01/05/2012 at 11:30

My current plans:

Get fit (I'd barely trained enough for a 5k, let alone a marathon)

Get back into Parkruns as an incentive to get fitter and faster

Sodbury Slog in November, because I've done it every year since 2006, and because it toughens me up so that I can laugh at 'floods' like we experienced on Sunday. If you can keep your head above the waterline, it's not deep!

Edited: 01/05/2012 at 11:32
01/05/2012 at 11:30
Normally a thread tapers out the following day. Looks like this one has got legs. Quite a controversial little race MK gave us.

Old no 7 your correct that the course profile is probably a flat one but I think the constant ups and downs, twists and turns wouldn't class it as super fast. I think you thought that cos you were running on rocket fuel I think I would have found this mentally tough even in good weather. I would class abingdon as flat and fast.

01/05/2012 at 11:34
I've only done four unique marathon courses (having done one twice). This was definitely hillier than Abingdon '04 and Cardiff '06. It was, however, siginificantly flatter than Beachy Head!
01/05/2012 at 11:45
MarkD: you have run more marathon courses than me so happy to bow to your superior wealth of knowledge
01/05/2012 at 11:47

I think mark is correct. The twisty-ness of the course is a bigger factor than any inclines.

I deliberately did not run full pace in order to fight another day. I shall concentrate on speedier stuff now like 5 miles or so races through the summer. Maybe a bit of track work too. I don't think there are many road marathons on offer now until the autumn. I shall probably aim for the Leicester Marathon in October.

BTW, I think entries open for the Lake Vyrnwy Half Marathon today. This has to be one of the fastest halfs in the country (and an excellent race to boot). It's on my list

Best Wishes all

Owl

Edited: 01/05/2012 at 11:48
01/05/2012 at 11:47

what happened at Manchester...?

I wish I had stretched afterwards - my ITBs are killing - just wanted to go home to a warm bath...

Plan t o do a gentle 5 on Saturday then I am doing the Round MK relay on the 20th (first leg - 10miles) then the Boulder Dash in Jume - http://www.theboulderdash.com/index.html

worth a look if you are localish - 8mile route looks the most fun...

01/05/2012 at 12:09
Sounds like any bag collection problems at MK were about 10 times worse at Manchester resulting in lots of very, very cold runners!
01/05/2012 at 12:22
But nowhere near as fast as you oldno7 I think you underestimate how fast you ran out there!!! On a difficult course weather aside.

Owl watch out for that last mile at Leicester it's an absolute killer. First 25 are great tho.
Edited: 01/05/2012 at 12:27
01/05/2012 at 13:02

I got my first Marathon done on Sunday! I'm a little disappointed with my time, but given the brutal conditions I'm not too disheartened.

Like most, I thought the marshalling and supporters were excellent. I was lucky to get an email on Friday upgrading my parking to be able to park at the stadium so I didn't have to suffer the baggage truck, but I do agree with most of the other points about the organisation around the stadium. Finish was slightly underwhelming with no arch, not too bothered about the poor goody bag - it's not why I ran!

Would I do it again? If I don't get in London next year, then probably.

I'll definitely be looking to do another marathon next spring, not sure I can face the four months training again this year to do one in autumn. I plan on using all the training I've done to improve PBs on shorter distances over this summer.

01/05/2012 at 13:24
Liam68 wrote (see)

what happened at Manchester...?

I wish I had stretched afterwards - my ITBs are killing - just wanted to go home to a warm bath...

Plan t o do a gentle 5 on Saturday then I am doing the Round MK relay on the 20th (first leg - 10miles) then the Boulder Dash in Jume - http://www.theboulderdash.com/index.html

worth a look if you are localish - 8mile route looks the most fun...

First leg of the relay? I've got the course record for that (bighead ) from last year. Who are you running for? I run for Leighton Buzzard AC, but coming back from a track meeting in Newquay on that day this year.

I fear the rcord could go though - a very talented lad called Rob who is coming back to fitness is running it. Anyways - good luck - remember to turn left when you reach the canal

01/05/2012 at 13:32

Didn;t run this Sunday but can imagine what it was like. The half marathon in March was the coldest/ wettest race i have ever run and it snowed just after I finished.

I imagine the conditions were similar for this so a shame they didn;t take account of that and tried to make sure people got bags back quickly at the end. However it is the first time so will learn lessons.

01/05/2012 at 13:51

MarkD: Thanks. You have my complete respect, how you ran marathons in 3 weeks (and all in good times) I will never know. My legs are completely destroyed after Sunday. Walking is a slow and painful process, and I don't imagine i will be back for the lightest of runs this week.

Going back to the organisation, I think the far worse reports coming out of Manchester & cancellation at Shakespeare reflects pretty well on MK. Certainly improvements to be made, especially pre & post race, no doubt much will have be learned. I will run London whilst i can get in, but would absolutely give this another go.

01/05/2012 at 13:52

Hi Simon

I think we are the Open University vets team.  Rosemary Muston is organising - there's another lady + DFH.  I've been called in as the usual organiser is injured & I guess I am expected to be able to run 10miles.  I gather we may have a chance of winning the age related prize...

01/05/2012 at 13:54
Liam68 wrote (see)

Hi Simon

I think we are the Open University vets team.  Rosemary Muston is organising - there's another lady + DFH.  I've been called in as the usual organiser is injured & I guess I am expected to be able to run 10miles.  I gather we may have a chance of winning the age related prize...

Well have a good one - Leg 1 is a nice run - although on the canal you think you are coming to the right bridge and its alwayds the next one.

Hope the legs have recovered!

01/05/2012 at 14:14
cheers Simon
01/05/2012 at 14:25

The BBC article on it has a picture of Alun on the front

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-17893156

You're famous Alun

1,221 to 1,240 of 1,329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.